Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I think it was last week or something a thread was started on what counts as 'success' as an author. There was a heated debate, and I think really most people just agreed to disagree. Well yesterday the author John Connolly updated his blog with a post on the same subject, and I thought it was just interesting to see what, I at least consider, a relatively successful author had to say about it. Here it is: http://johnconnollybooks.com/blogger.html

Thoughts?

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Massive Success

Toothpaste said:
I think it was last week or something a thread was started on what counts as 'success' as an author. There was a heated debate, and I think really most people just agreed to disagree. Well yesterday the author John Connolly updated his blog with a post on the same subject, and I thought it was just interesting to see what, I at least consider, a relatively successful author had to say about it. Here it is: http://johnconnollybooks.com/blogger.html

Thoughts?

as JC says:

"In the end, the ideal result for the writer would involve massive artistic satisfaction and massive sales,..."

I think I can simulate one of the downsides of this ideal mental state: suppose my first 10-12 extremely bad novels had all made massive sales.

This would leave me wondering:
a) why would such a mass of demonstrably bad stuff have sold so well?
b) why am I insanely rich and such an incredibly bad writer?
c) If I write something good, will it be the end of my career?

Painful indeed. Where is alcoholism when you need it?

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, amazing sells and amazing influence = amazing success.

Regular success is much harder to define.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Massive artistic satisfaction and massive sales. Duh!

But really, everyone has their own definition of success. Some are personal. Some financial. I think each of us should just pick his or her own yardstick and mind their own business.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I guess what I found interesting and even reassuring from the article, wasn't his conclusion, but the thought that even he had insecurities. That he looked back on his recent book tour and wondered if he'd done enough. To me I am always wondering if I could have done more, and it's nice to know that everyone thinks that way. That it is rare for someone to sit back and go, "Ah yes, I've done absolutely everything! How satisfied I feel!" I like the thought that you can never do enough, and therefore there really isn't an ultimate goal of doing stuff you can do.

Just do what you can, try your hardest, and that's about it!

I thought it was nice.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
My sense of satisfaction comes from writing a book that I enjoy more than any other book. One that I can read over and over, endlessly, and live with on a deserted island. Just me and my book. Sometimes I lie on the couch with it, and press it to my forehead. Oh baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.