Fruitcake Lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
The Fruitcake Lady was one of the aunts that raised Capote. She's not the inventor of the fruitcake but spent many years making many each holiday seaosn, something immortalized in Capote's short story "A Christmas Memory". It was also made into a holiday television movie a few years back and starred Patty Duke as the aunt.

In recent years, she had some limited fame as the Fruitcake Lady but it all goes back to Capote. Without him, she would have remained a regional or local celebrity.

A portion of "A Christmas Memory", for those who have not read it, can be found here:

http://www.ansoniadesign.com/capote/christmas.htm

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
To be honest, I think it's fair to say that Jay Leno gave her more fame as the Fruitcake Lady than Capote did.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
dclary said:
To be honest, I think it's fair to say that Jay Leno gave her more fame as the Fruitcake Lady than Capote did.

I don't agree - "A Christmas Memory" has been a traditional classic for decades; one of the original movies made from the story had Capote as narrator. Other versions were made in the mid to late 60's and in about 1997.

If it had not been for her connection to Capote and "A Christmas Memory", I doubt Leno would have ever heard of the lady.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
johnnysannie said:
I don't agree - "A Christmas Memory" has been a traditional classic for decades; one of the original movies made from the story had Capote as narrator. Other versions were made in the mid to late 60's and in about 1997.

If it had not been for her connection to Capote and "A Christmas Memory", I doubt Leno would have ever heard of the lady.

Well, I've never heard of Capote outside of the two movies made about him this and last year, nor that traditional classic you mentioned.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
truelyana said:
I dont know who neither of them are

Truman Copote and Jay Leno?

dclary said:
Well, I've never heard of Capote outside of the two movies made about him this and last year, nor that traditional classic you mentioned.

You've never heard of the book "In Cold Blood" about the Manson murders?

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Truman Capote writes books. I have no idea what Jay Leno does. Probably a poet or something. I think he's the one who doesn't like cars...

elisadasilva

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, In Cold Blood was not about the Mansons. It was about Perry Smith and Dick Hickock who killed a whole family that lived on a farm.

Fruitcake Lady is better than Fruitcake Man.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
Truman Copote and Jay Leno?

You've never heard of the book "In Cold Blood" about the Manson murders?

I have heard of the book "In Cold Blood" but as I said, only in relation to the two movies recently made about the writing of the book.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Shadow_Ferret said:
Must be a generational thing. I remember Capote being on Johnny Carson all the time.

*waits for someone to say, "Who's Johnny Carson?"*

Could be. I watch Leno 2-3 nights a week, and would likely have done the same with Johnny had I been old enough (I can't get enough of the Carson Comedy Classics episodes. He was WAY funnier than Jay, and willing to do anything for his sketches)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
truelyana said:
haha i still wouldnt know. I dont read newspapers or watch television

I don't either, but I know who all of these people are. I should go read Capote...

Status
Not open for further replies.