Anyone else have trouble reading Bentley Little?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
I enjoy his profound work and the way he treats, and mistreats, his characters but I can't always finish his work. I read the Walking and Dispatch this year and am now picking back up the Burning. I got maybe a third of the way into it this summer then lost interest. I did the same thing with the Assocsation and the House. Anyone else get a little lost in his stories, or let down by some of the endings?

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the Association and the House was ok. He's very hit or miss for me. The Walking is a great example of his lousy endings.

***Spoiler Alert****

In the Walking, once they figure out what's going on, they defeat the menace so easily that it's a bit of a letdown. A lot of his stuff is like this. The Burning I've been dying to discuss with someone, but I don't want to ruin it for you if you plan to finish it. PM me maybe?

John61480

The Elements of Style
Registered
Reaction score
I read the Dispatch. There was just to much vulgarity. He had an overuse of swearing and too many juvenile revenge thoughts and moments -- especially with the asian penpal. Just wierd. I'm holding off on purchasing more of his books for awhile.

Just my one book experience with Bentley Little.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who have been put off by his books- check out the Ignored. It's the best horror novel I had read in some time, and kept me reading through a lot of crap.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I like the guy but like a lot of you he lets me down with his endings. He starts off strong and has some very good ideas but it seems that he just fizzles out and wants to hurry up and finish the book.

I've read a lot of his work but I also still have a lot to read. The Mailman, The Ignored, The Store, Dominion, The Summoning, and The Association are sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. The Walking I liked, ending not so much, but thought it was almost as good as The Revelation. I haven't bought any of his newer books since he has let me down.

With me he is one of those authors that you buy the books and they sit around for awhile and then you get the inkling to read him and go through two or three books at once and then you find yourself not wanting to read him for awhile. Ann Rice is another one of those authors for me as well as Keith Ablow and John Saul.

But you know Koontz has done this sucky ending with a few of his books as well. The Taking was a good book but by the time the ending came I was like "You got to be kidding me! This blows, it could have been so much better."

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
I read The Association. Unfortunately, I could see the ending coming from a million miles away - and that's disappointing to me.
I haven't read anything of his since.

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net
jbal-
I do that with most movies I watch too, and my hubby is now used to my predictions. Within the first few moments of a movie I'll say:
"I bet this and this happens and it ends like this"
Many times I'm correct. Scary - I'm a twisted individual.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ya, sounds like this is a common feeling. I was let down by the ending in the Walking and though I liked Dispatch, it was rather crude in places. I'm going to finish the Burning and I'll PM you Jbal so we can hash it out. And thanks for the heads up on the Ignored. Have to give it a shot.

Kevin, so far the Revelation has been my favorite due to the fish out of water monster and the interesting characters. Because of the crash and burn ending from the Walking it's number two. Well on to more reading and writing.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
GhostAuthor said:
jbal-
I do that with most movies I watch too, and my hubby is now used to my predictions. Within the first few moments of a movie I'll say:

One of my best friends is just like that. It's hard keeping her mouth clamped for the rest of us, and even harder for her to enjoy a movie.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
GhostAuthor said:
jbal-
You must be talking about the fight at the end. I can see predicting that one, although I didn't. The whole Article 90 thing came out of left field though.
ETA: my wife and I both got the ending to the movie Identity. I got the first plot twist about ten minutes in.

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
With a lot of books and most movies I can figure out the ending pretty easily, it always use to make my wife mad and then surprised when I got it right. Horror movies are the worst, I can usually figure about 90% of them out within the first ten to twenty minutes. If I can't figure it out and the ending surprises me then I usually like movie. The first saw movie was that way, I never expected the guy in the room to be alive. Stephen King's Dark Tower series surprised me as well, I never saw that ending coming.

Little is to easy to figure out and that kind of perturbes me. Maybe it comes from being a writer, I don't know. I know that when I get to the end of a movie or book and I hated the ending I will have figured out one or two ways I would have done it better.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's that internal editor constantly over analyzing all which we see. I know that when I'm watching a show or movie if it doesn't drag me in by the nose then I start picking it apart. With books if it doesn't hold my attention I just toss it. With Little's work I find myself staring at some pages like some ghoul hanging around a car crash. With the Burning he throws in a bunch of weird crap but the flipping around between characters is jarring at times. The transistions leave me cold.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Pike-if you haven't finished it yet don't read this!!!!

The thing that bugged me was that none of the characters that the book follows seem to have any relevance to the ending. Even the one who gets on the train, at the end he gets off. So what? The others just happen to be there. That screwed the whole thing for me.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Aarrgh! I ignored your warning and started to read the post. Fortunately I have the attention span of your average three year old. I did have a feeling that this wasn't going to end cleanly. I'm about half way into the book and it's starting to get warped but not enough to hold my attention. I'm still going to finish it. Just stubborn. Thanks for the warning Jbal.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
sorry. I read a review that spoiled the ending of the Sixth Sense. It had a spoiler alert on it, but there's just no way not to read it anyway.

Kevin Yarbrough

Registered
Reaction score
Bentley Little is suppose to be a real a$$ in real life. The man is almost a recluse and he mentioned that there are more than a few reviewers out there that would beat the crap out of him if they ever saw him. The man speaks his mind no matter who it hurts.

But, he can make up some good stories even if his endings are found wanting.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I kind of got that feeling about him just from his writing and what little I've gathered off the net. I recall him beefing about another writer and from his attitude, the way it read, he came across as a man who "shoots from the hip" when he speaks his mind. Still you're right: he does write some creepy sh!t.

TrinityFalls

When I want to escape I read.
Registered
Reaction score
I know this thread is years old but it was the only one I could find about Bentley Little so I thought since i just started reading him that I would comment anyways. I just finished The House. Now the story was a little confusing, the ending was kinda lame, and the little girl wanting to be you-know-whated in the you-know-where was kinda freaky for me but I think my main point of contention is that the prologue made no sense with the rest of the book. Am I the only one who felt that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.