Tips/markets for humor essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to place a couple of humorous essays I've written. One is about my ineptitude with all things digital and technological. The other is about how I'm a sports nerd and know nothing about sports. :(

I was thinking sports and technology pubs might be a good place to start but have come up dry. Any ideas? :)

karasw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karaswilliams.com
Have you considered general-interest women's magazines? Redbook, Woman's Day, etc.? Don't they typically have a first-person essay dept?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
We have several threads dealing with this over on the Humor Forum. (Not facile enough to have learned how to link you over there yet, sorry!)

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Try radio stations. That's where I sold mine.

Depending on the contents of the essay, you might want to take a look at the Smithonian Magazine's last page.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
For the technology piece, you might try ComputerEdge magazine...hard copy and online. They have a column called "beyond personal computing"...but be warned they've heard a lot of this before.

cattywampus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
pygmypress.com
Why not start at the top? Newsweek and Time both publish personal essays (one per issue). One is called "My Turn, can't remember the other. Humor is always popular, but the essay needs to have a point, too.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Catty. I knew about the Newsweek column (I submitted once before but never heard back), but I didn't know about Time. I'll check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.