A Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is the wrong part of the board, and feel free to move it, but I have a question.

A friend of mine, doing research, found very old copies of a magazine called The Writer. It is very, very funny in places, including an article called How To Write A Letter that was full of purposefully bad advice... from 1900 ("Write first perpendicularly, and then horizontally", if I remember right, and "Do not answer any questions posed, it encourages them to ask more"). It includes something called "Gossip About Writers".

My favorite part? It's still being published, and has been published, continuously, since 1887.

My question: Has anyone else heard of it? Is it still any good as a writer's resource? We looked briefly at the 2006 copies, but it was 10 pm and we had to get out of there. Frst glance it looked pretty good - but what's the word on the streets?

Isanthe

Registered
Reaction score
I bought several issues in 1995-96 and enjoyed them. I thought they were better than, say, Writer's Digest. The advice was still pretty basic and I outgrew the magazine after a while.

I can't vouch for what it's like now.

Others may disagree with me, but I now much prefer to find advice and inspiration online. I prefer to put my magazine subscription money towards markets that I am interested in selling to.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I subscribed to it years ago and though it was a good magazine.

These days, most of the information in magazines like The Writer and Writer's Digest is available for free on the Internet.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Carmy said:
These days, most of the information in magazines like The Writer and Writer's Digest is available for free on the Internet.

Yes, but nothing beats sitting in your favourite chair with a hot cup of coffee and your favourite magazine. I buy magazines all the time. Hey, I'm in them...I feel I should support the ones I love. I too like The Writer. I remember a time when I enjoyed it often in the 90s.

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I have a stack of back issues of The Writer (I'm such a pack rat!) from years ago when I used to buy it on a regular basis. Like most magazines I found some of the advice pretty good and some of it not so good.

I used to read and re-read writing magazines (The Writer, Writer's Digest, Fiction Writer). It was a great way to procrastinate. Now I do more actual writing, which seems to be working out better for me. :D

Reaction score
KTC said:
Yes, but nothing beats sitting in your favourite chair with a hot cup of coffee and your favourite magazine. I buy magazines all the time. Hey, I'm in them...I feel I should support the ones I love. I too like The Writer. I remember a time when I enjoyed it often in the 90s.

You can read?! ;)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a huge stack of The Writer that was generously offered by someone on this board. I read them and when I'm finished, those that don't apply to me personally, I take to the library. They disappear >poof< within days. Someone is finding them valuable. If they didn't, those magazines would still be sitting there til we threw them away.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I subscribe to it. The info is, as someone else noted, "the basics", but let's be honest, lots of folks need to be drilled constantly in the basics, and lots of others who think they're "beyond all that" need refreshers from time to time. Plus I feel good subscribing to an institution that's been around for so very long providing assistance to aspiring writers.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I bought, read and enjoyed copies of The Writer in the 70s. But like WD and others, the advice tends to get recycled and redundant. Plus they keep saying the same thing over and over.

Oh, and they're repetitive as well.

:D

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of good advice in it, but I've noticed a lot of factual errors in the past couple of issues, such as putting colleges in the wrong states (although how you do that with a college that has the state in the title, I'm not sure) misspelling famous authors' names, etc.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
My local university library has a slew of back issues of both The Writer and Writer's Digest. I've been devouring (sp?) them, and it's really helped me in my freelancing endeavors!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I've never heard of it, but I don't generally do much with writerly advice magazines. I have a copy of something somewhere with things like How To Improve your Novel: 10 Easy Steps! and mostly, it does nothing for me.

I'd love to read The Writer if it were like a writerly versionof The Onion. That would be fun.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I picked up "The Writer" every-so-often at the newstand, but I've never subscribed, as I did "Writer's Digest" for many years. I think I based my decision on how useful it was by the size of the magazine, which was always much smaller than WD. (Although ads make up for most of the size differential.)

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
*reminds self to look back at her threads once in a while*

Thanks, all! I got a subscription for Christmas and I like it a lot. Is it kinda basic, yeah. But it's what I need and want right now.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I know you've already got it, but I wanted to add that I found it interesting, although I was, for some reason, not really tempted to subscribe. I pick it up at B&N sometimes, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.