Has anyone read "Hannibal Rising" yet?

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
I was tempted when I saw it at the BJs warehouse club for something like 44% off. But it seemed awfully short (that's so unlike Thomas Harris!). Also, I glanced through it, and it didn't light my fire. Maybe I was just worried. Anyway, I decided to check the reviews on Amazon first, and whoah, maybe I should wait a bit longer...
:cry:

On the other hand, there are some glowing reviews, and some well written reviews that think it's at least OK. (It seems that people who liked "Hannibal" are more likely to enjoy the new one, but even some people who hated "Hannibal" thought this one was OK.) On the third hand (uh-oh, who does that hand belong to?), it seems this book was written to coincide with the release of the upcoming movie about young Hannibal, so maybe it was a rush? :(

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
I started Hannibal Rising and put it away. It's terrible. Entertainment Weekly gave it a D, and named it one of the 5 worst novels in 2006. I think EW is right on the money. The language is stilted and the story feels contrived; not nearly as compelling as Hannibal.

Reaction score
I read it a few days after it came out in the UK. Meh. Take it or leave it. Not the worst book I've ever read, definitely not the best. I should have waited to get it from the library, or at least paperback.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad I didn't wind up buying it. (Saved! :D) Nowadays, I'm reading some Jean Plaidy and Phillipa Gregory and the like instead. :)

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
I loved Hannibal and want to read Rising but haven't yet. One thing that gives me pause is a blurb I read in the new Pages magazine that quotes the director of the movie as saying that Harris wrote the novel and the screenplay at the same time and that he...this director...had substantial input as to the plot. That just doesn't sound good to me. These directors already muck with every screenplay they see and now they are insinuating themselves into the novels? I hope the director was just trying to take credit as directors will often do.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Normally I take book reviews with a pinch of salt, but the reviews I read for Hannibal Rising all concurred that this was a 'sell-out' novel and essentially a tie-in for the next prequel. I'm keeping an eye out for it turning up in my local library, but I haven't been moved to buy a copy.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Not yet! The reviews have been so universally bad that I'm really hesitating.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
After Hannibal? You might be able to pay me enough to read Harris again, but you'd have to bankrupt a number of small countries to do it.

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
my hubby had it and i read it. i thought it was a good explaination of Hanibal. I don't agree with the general idea of how serial killers come about. but it does validate Hanibal's choices.