Not knowing where to go or what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSand114

Hi, this is my first time on this one but you seem like you guys know what you are talking about. I'm 16 and i've written a few scripts. Yes i've done my homework (trust me). I have talked to many producers that I know through contacts and things but they all brush me off and just offer tips. Being 16 though doesn't leave much room. At first I thought i was better off keeping them in the closet until I was 18 before I even thought about sending them and trying to get noticed. I am not even old enough to take classes on it. There are none in my high school and I'm not old enough to participate in the summer programs. What I was thinking though is most writer's are between the ages of say 18 - 40? Maybe i'm off by a little (or a lot) but would'nt talent agencies see it as raw talent. I mean even if my stuff was mediocre, they could see that in a few years, they could be something. Well I just wanted to get this out. Thanks for your time.

maestrowork

Improve your skills as a writer. It doesn't matter if you're 60 if your script is mediocre. It doesn't matter if you're 16 if it is brilliant. Hollywood wants good scripts that would make into good (or profitable) movies -- they're not looking for "people" (unless you're applying for staff writer jobs).

NikeeGoddess

it seems that tv wants younger writers
a few years ago there was a big deal about a woman who got a job writing for some tv show about college kids; she lied and said she was 23 but, she was really 33 or something like that - so ageism is a factor but, of course, this is the opposite of what you're talking about......whatever....
hey, you never have to tell anyone your age but, if you look 16 then i guess that won't matter - you're still a kid!!!

anyhoo - if you make your contacts via internet or snailmail queries then they'll never know

but you should take into consideration that just doing your homework doesn't mean your writing is all that good. it usu takes years of writing before someone really "gets" it and being only 16....well, those producers probably already know that it would be a waste of their time to read your stuff.

hone your skills - forget about your age, although it'll probably improve tenfold in two years.
join a local screenwriter's group - most communities have them b/c so many people wanna be a "star"!! LOL!
enter some screenwriting contests - if you place well in the competition then you know you're up to snuff
show some samples of your script on the donedeal board p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealfrm32 and people will tell you if you're market-ready or not - most people are not, no matter what their age

write on!

Ravenlocks01

Don't send out mediocre stuff. If you're not going to be good for another few years, wait another few years.

dchapma123

Maybe you have the opportunity to enter into some kind of mentorship program with a professional screenwriter (or, barring that, a professional screenwriting teacher). The important thing for you to realize at this point is that you need feedback and guidance for your writing.

But you're not ready to go pro. I know you're not ready to go pro because you're 16 years old. When it comes to writing, life experience is pretty important, and the things you go through as you enter adulthood will shape the way you view the world at least until your mid-thirties (or until you have kids, I suppose). I have a theory that everyone gets a big jolt of "maturity" when they turn 20. I don't know why, but I saw a lot of people (probably myself included) change a lot when they were 20. Ah, I miss those days...time flies...

Anyway, I digress. Keep writing, try to get as good at it as possible, and get some good feedback from a reputable source. Don't delude yourself into thinking you're going to make a sale as a teenager, but write as though you fully expect to do so.

Oh, and if you want more immediate gratification: write a script and shoot it yourself! It'll teach you a ton about screenwriting, believe me.

Dave...

NikeeGoddess

last years movie Thirteen was co-written by a 13 year old. her co-writer was a seasoned writer thou. and the story was semi-autobiographical.

check it out! see if you can find the script online or for sale somewhere.

write on!

xtz

Younger have sold!

Here in the UK some kid a while ago (when they were 13ish if I remember right) sold 4 episodes they wrote for the science fiction show "Dr Who" - making a successful sale after some rejections

That's the good thing about this business - it is open to ANYONE with the right 20 000 words. Its not your age which counts - its your writing age... which kicks off when you start to write.

mammamaia

young kid success story... sort of...

two of my best mentees ever were 14-year-old girls who wrote brilliant screenplays first time out!... one self-destructed by lying to me about having her parents' permission to work with me via email and the other one's script was so good [though 'too dark' to produce], that i sent it to a big-wig i know at icm anyway, and he called her in florida immediately and talked to her for an hour... he's been keeping track of her and her work ever since...

so, ms, if you want mentoring or just some feedback on your work, feel free to email me any time, at:
[email protected]

love and hugs, maia

certified instigator

Re: young kid success story... sort of...

I have talked to many producers that I know through contacts and things but they all brush me off and just offer tips.
You are miles ahead of most of us!

I hope you understand just how fortunate you are to have many producers you can get tips from at your age.

When you say you've written "a few" scripts, how many do you mean? And are they feature length in the proper format, spell checked, proofed and of exceptional quality?

Keep these contacts by being inquisitive but not pushy. Ask them questions about their work (every producer LOVES to talk about themselves) and take every tip they give you seriously.

Ask them to give you tips on your script. Choose the best of them and ask them to read the first 10 pages. If your script is exceptional, I bet any one of the many producer contact you have will be interested in reading the rest.

I envy your producer contacts.

MSand114

Re: young kid success story... sort of...

Well, I've done 3. The formatting is right and all that stuff, and the producers I know work for entertainment network and some other places. And why I ask is because like I said I can't take classes but i've read alot of the books and they all have the same stuff in them, and I also found out that i was for the most part doing what they were telling me what i should do before even opening the book.

MSand114

Also, i've asked alot of people this but they seem to go blank. How do you know if a contest is legit or not. Even donig your homework can still leave you without an answer...
Also, any places in new york city that I could go to for writing or whatever?

Thanks,
Mike

cathypaulwriter

Your post begs the question: Why CAN'T you take the required writing classes?:shrug

MSand114

Did you read the opening post? There are no programs at my poor school (you'd be surprised) and I'm not old enough for anything else (being 16) to my knowledge (yes, i've checked and looked around both online and other ways).

MSand114

Also to the are they full length? They are about 130 pages each, so about a 2 hour run time.

NikeeGoddess

MS - just fyi: 130 pages is too long.

my suggestion: print out this thread and save it. after one year of writing and learning more re-read your posts. you will realize how silly you sound b/c even though you think you already know what you're doing....YOU DON'T! you'll be amazed at how much your writing will improve in just one year. your will be amazed at how much information you can gather in just one year. you will be amazed at how much information you've learned in that year and realize how much more you still have to learn. the revelations will astound you. this is not joke. do it again in 4 years and you will still be amazed. i guarantee it. and no one who has been writing for 4 years will disagree with me.

write on!

certified instigator

Three 130 page scripts is amazing for your age.
Having producers you can talk to and get tips from is fortunate.

Since you have producers who can give you tips I'm not sure you even need a class.

While I don't agree with the venerable Goddess that you will soon realize how silly you sound, I do agree that you will always be learning. We ALL are always learning.

Even though you can't legally sign documents you sure can ask your producer contacts to recommend agents who will read your scripts. Though at 130 pages I, too, suspect they are too long and could do with a little editing.

Would you let me read the best one of your scripts, Mike?

xl

re:

but would'nt talent agencies see it as raw talent. I mean even if my stuff was mediocre, they could see that in a few years, they could be something.

As maestro said, that's not really the way it works. Agents are looking for material that they can sell and clients that will make them money. It costs an agency a lot of money to represent a writer so if they are not seeing any returns (in terms of their % made on every deal) then it is unlikely that they will want to represent you.

As far as your producer contacts go my best advice would be to keep them as contacts and try not to force your work on them. Having contacts in the biz is a key factor in determining success so the last thing you want to do is burn any bridges by forcing work on them that just isn't ready (perhaps it is ready and i am wrong but as Nikee said the more you write the better you get and you'll be suprised how much better you will be by this time next year).

A good bit of advice given by a pro on another forum is to put your screenplay up against the five screenplays you most admire and see how it measures up. If it is not as good as the other screenplays in that group then it isn't ready to be sent out. The easiest way to kill your chances with agencies or producers is by sending out something that isn't ready. It's a mistake that a lot of people make and almost everyone regrets.

Do you have access to a digital camera? Write a few shorts and get a few mates together to shoot them. It's great seeing your words come to life.

As far as contests go, well there are a lot of legit ones but the ones that get the most exposure are:

Nicholl (Deadline May 1)
Austin (May 15)
Sundance (early May)
Chesterfield (June or July - Delayed this year)
Disney (June)

A few others that are apparently decent include:

American Accolades (end Feb)
Scriptapalooza (April 15)
Slamdance (June or July)
Fade In (Oct 31)

but that's just going on what i've heard.

Anywho, grats for having finished 3 screenplays already. That's an achievement in itself. Whilst 130 pages is a tad on the long side it's only by 10 or so pages. Just out of interest what genre do you tend to write in?

MSand114

re:

Well first off I thank everyone for their help. The only thing is that i never said I knew everything and I don't know anyone that doesn't know the concept of practice makes perfect and that that really didn't have anything to do with my original post because I still haven't gotten some answers to it other than, join some contests.

I tend to write action. I guess it is the wrong genre to enter the business but it's what I like to do. When I showed the producer that I know from E! he told me that people might consider it only because of how original the story is. Again my dialogue is my main problem I think.

Also, I have read tons of scripts from popular movies, old and new , but online I keep running into the first drafts, which confuse me heh.

I think i've just babbled this whole post but i'm tired and I don't know how to ask the question I asked in the first post any other way.

Thanks again for all the help, I appreciate it.

Mike

NikeeGoddess

Re: re:

you're asking the right questions. you just don't like the answers you're getting.

I tend to write action. I guess it is the wrong genre to enter the business
comments like this make little sense. know that you assumed this and did not learn it.

anyhoo: you can post a sample of your script here:
p068.ezboard.com/fdonedealfrm32

and get some fast and easy feedback from other screenwriters. read the "how to" post at the top of the section. read a few other submissions and replies to see what you're getting into.

write on!

linneyaT

getting your script seen

Hi- I just wanted to let you know that there are opportunties out there! I am a young writer as well.

Entering your scripts into festivals- is an awesome way to get started. Attending festivals helps too!

Just to let you know Austin Film Festival has a Young Filmmakers Program. There is no entry fee. The deadline is August 27th.

~linnea

Status
Not open for further replies.