PDA

View Full Version : 2007: Your writing year in preview

J.S Greer
12-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I saw the 2006: yourr writing year in review thread, and thought it might be neat to see what plans we all have for the year ahead.

I'll start:

First edit on my WIP.
Find a good beta reader.
Edit some more.
Rinse and repeat. :)

Polish up a few shorts and submit them.

Search for an agent if I feel my current WIP is ready.

WildScribe
12-07-2006, 08:54 AM
First draft, and possible first edit on my WIP. We'll think about what else and get back to y'all.

Willowmound
12-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I'll finish my WIP before December 2007.

And start sending it out.

And think to myself: "Wow, it's been ten years since I did this last. Man, that was one LONG dryspell."

And smile with satisfaction.

Then start getting nervous.

AnnieColleen
12-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Finish a first draft of my WIP. (wow, that looks daunting typed out!)

Look through my short stories and see if there's anything submittable there; if so, find somewhere to submit it.

I'm tossing around the idea of doing Nano next year, but I'm not going to put that down as a goal yet.

K1P1
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Finish my WIP and submit before 8/31. Be ready for photography for that book at the same time.

Do proposal for the next book and reach agreement with the publisher on it before 8/31 so I can start writing as soon as the first ms. is submitted.

Write and submit the 6 articles I've already contracted.

NOT TAKE ON ANY MORE PROJECTS!

JustinThorne
12-07-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing my anthology is print and then I will be focussing on editing my novel-length MS and submitting that to my publisher before the summer.

I also have a live album out in Jan or Feb and then I will be back in the studio working on a brand new studio album.

maestrowork
12-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Finished my damn WIP.
Continue to promote my book.
Go to at least two conferences.
Write and publish more short stories.
Make a million dollars.

scarletpeaches
12-07-2006, 05:10 PM
1. Finish and polish DLS
2. Keep submitting BoP while I'm seeing to (1)
3. Write 500 words a day...that's two and a half novels a year! ;)
4. Get an agent
5. Make a million pounds, and be richer than Maestro because of the pounds/dollars exchange rate. :D

maestrowork
12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Marry Nichola, AFTER she made that million pounds (money, not weight).

scarletpeaches
12-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Marry Nichola, AFTER she made that million pounds (money, not weight).

:snoopy:

I love the way you spelled my name correctly, too.:snoopy:

illiterwrite
12-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Well, my first novel comes out in March, and my second baby is due in May. Between now and then, I need to finish the first draft of my second novel. I figure I'll be out of commission for at least 6 months after the baby comes, so I'm not giving myself any other goals for the rest of the year.

NCRomanceWriter
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I'll play - here are mine for 2007:

Develop and grow as a writer.
Be open to all advice.
Commit to write at least 30 minutes a day (more is better, but I am starting slow).
Finish one manuscript.

steveg144
12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
1. get my web site up and running
2. pump out 200 queries for my novel
3. get 3 non-fiction pieces written and circulating
4. get 3 fiction pieces written and circulating
5. get 2 one-act plays written and circulating
6. get 1 full-length play completed before NaNo2007 begins
7. do NaNoWriMo 2007 to get my second novel written

scarletpeaches
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
1. get my web site up and running
2. pump out 200 queries for my novel
3. get 3 non-fiction pieces written and circulating
4. get 3 fiction pieces written and circulating
5. get 2 one-act plays written and circulating
6. get 1 full-length play completed before NaNo2007 begins
7. do NaNoWriMo 2007 to get my second novel written

I think typing and printing them would be better.

PattiTheWicked
12-07-2006, 06:16 PM
My goals for 2007;

1. Hopefully see Pirate's Alphabet in print by March, and do a bunch of school and library visits to promote it.
2. See Summer's Ashes come out around June, and hold a few booksignings.
3. Keep sending out queries on Call of the Clan.
4. Finish Winter's Tides, the sequel to Summer's Ashes.
5. Complete at least one of the three other manuscripts I have in the In Progress pile.

MajorDrums
12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
In 2007, I plan to:

1. Have a completed draft of my WIP, my first novel, by May at the latest.

2. Find representation for my non-fiction book.

3. Find another day-job. I hate this one.

janetbellinger
12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
1. sign a contract with a reputable publisher for Tracing Raindrops.
2. Come up with fresh ideas for a new novel.
3. Do more reading

Higgins
12-07-2006, 06:31 PM
I'll finish my WIP before December 2007.

And start sending it out.

And think to myself: "Wow, it's been ten years since I did this last. Man, that was one LONG dryspell."

And smile with satisfaction.

Then start getting nervous.

Finish WIP in a few months and start sending out queries and think to myself that it has been three years since I got any fiction published.

kbax
12-07-2006, 06:43 PM
2007 is looking to be busy for everyone! Here's mine:

Give WIP to betas for editing and opinions.
Complete a few more editing passes of my own.
Start next novel.
Query at least 50 agents.
Write at least 2 shorts.

DTKelly
12-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Finish my WIP.
Edit said WIP.
Send out WIP.
Start new WIP (sequel! :) )

Southern_girl29
12-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Here are my goals:
Write one short story a week. Submit those. Either finish my WIP or begin a new one. I haven't decided if I want to continue with it or not. Clean up my first novel and send it to agents.

scarletpeaches
12-07-2006, 07:13 PM
2007 is looking to be busy for everyone! Here's mine:

Give WIP to betas for editing and opinions.
Complete a few more editing passes of my own.
Start next novel.
Query at least 50 agents.
Write at least 2 shorts.

Good one. I need to get over my fear of showing my book to people I know. I've never had a problem submitting to agents because...well, I don't have to see the look on their face when they read it, or get a detailed reaction from them!

All I know is, they keep saying no, so betas/first readers/asking a friend what they think, would be a good step for me to take. :D

Maprilynne
12-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Goals for 2007

1. Be signed with an agent (still hoping that will happen in 2006, actually.)
2. Be under contract for Book #1
3. Finish first draft of Book #2

Momento Mori
12-07-2006, 08:10 PM
The plan is that by 31st December 2007:

- the first draft of the WIP will be complete and ready for the first round of "I can't believe I wrote this crap!" editing and revision;

- I will have completed at least two short stories and submitted them for publication/respectable competitions; and

- I will be enjoying my place on an MA course in Creative Writing (more for the chance of meeting people and discussing writing and literature than any mistaken belief it will magically result in publication).

MM

Lyra Jean
12-07-2006, 08:25 PM
1. Finish the rough draft of my nano novel.
2. Submit my finished short story until it gets published.
3. Write at least two more short stories.
4. Attempt at writing non-fiction articles.
5. Start the editing on my nano novel.

Kate Thornton
12-07-2006, 09:05 PM
In 2007:

I will retire again from my day job, this time for real
I will continue to write every morning
I will seriously look at another anthology
I will try again with Womans World and Alfred Hitchcock
I will try again with non-fiction articles

PeeDee
12-07-2006, 09:08 PM
What a clever thread. well, I can at least give my visible deadlines for 2007. It's a start.

- Finish editing my manuscript by January 10th, get it out of the house.

- Write the script for the single issue comic Ghost Love Score, probably to be published sometime in February.

- Begin working on scripts for the six-part comic book Dark, for later in the summer.

- Write and complete my next novel by May, June at the latest

- Read several more slushpiles for BBT Magazine without having a heart problem.

- Interview some more authors I like.

- Short stories.*

* The short stories, I can't predict. In 2006 I wrote 25 short stories of various lengths and uses. I don't plan for them. They come when they come, and I'm glad to have them. In 2007, my short story number will be much higher because during the summer, I...

- Start writing the serial episodes for a web series, through late summer and fall. Projected 45 episodes, or so.

Good lord. I was less concerned about it before I listed everything. It's worrying when your year starts to look mapped out like that.

kbax
12-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Good one. I need to get over my fear of showing my book to people I know. I've never had a problem submitting to agents because...well, I don't have to see the look on their face when they read it, or get a detailed reaction from them!

Yeah, I know the fear. I've felt the fear. I think I wore a hole in the floor when my betas had my last novel. And those words you have to say, before they start telling you their thoughts...

"Give it to me straight. Don't hold back. No sugar-coating."

*Shudders*. More frightening words have never been spoken! But it wasn't so bad in the end, and it's worth it for the feedback you get. Good luck!

Stew21
12-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Polish novel #1 (or trunk it, I haven't decided yet.)
Finished novel #2
Begin a novel #3
attempt to query agents - YIKES - I don't even know where to begin.

write as many short stories, poems, and articles as possible and attempt to get them published.

I'm setting high hopes for myself. I have to make an effort for publication in this coming year.

Bubastes
12-07-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm setting some high goals (for myself) here:

1. Adjust my work schedule so I have more time for writing
2. Finish a first draft of my first novel (yikes!)
3. Write and submit 12 short stories. Glimmer Train will get first crack at each one (12 guaranteed rejections!)

Simple goals, but not easy.

Isanthe
12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
1. Write one novel, and at least start another (I have ideas for both)

2. I'm going to try to write one short story per week

3. Create market plans for each short story, so that I have an efficient system with as many stories on submission as possible

4. Hoping for my first acceptance, or at least some nice rejection letters

scarletpeaches
12-07-2006, 09:43 PM
1. Finish and polish DLS
2. Keep submitting BoP while I'm seeing to (1)
3. Write 500 words a day...that's two and a half novels a year! ;)
4. Get an agent
5. Make a million pounds, and be richer than Maestro because of the pounds/dollars exchange rate. :D

I'd like to add:

6. Get over my fear of letting people I know see my work, and find, say...5 betas.
and 7. Write a poem a week, trying to vary forms instead of sticking to my favourite (the sonnet).

SomethingCatchy
12-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Good goals for everyone.

Mine:

1. Get two pieces of fiction (short story, novella, novel - anything) accepted. I've only published non-fiction before, and I don't want to aim for something that may not be in my ability yet.

2. Complete first novel (1st draft is already finished)

3. Write and complete second and third novels before the year is out. The second one I'm positive I can do, the third one may push me to the time limit though.

4. Restart my freelance writing career.

5. Query agents - not sure how many or with what yet. That will come later on in the year, fall/winter most likely.

6. Get a lot better at rewriting/editing, learn more about what to look for, what to avoid.

7. Get at least one beta reader.

8. Be someone's beta reader (anything but romance, which I have no experience reading)

I wonder how many of us are going to be scrambling around next December trying to complete all the goals we forgot about during the previous eleven months?

Toothpaste
12-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Okay I'm game! Though the thought of all I have to do next year may just finish me off.

1. Finish edits to current novel.
2. Set up website and somehow come up with exciting and innovative ways to promote novel.
3. Finish second novel for June due date.
4. Direct and Produce my play for fringe festival.
5. Figure out what conferences to go to, and how to get involved
6. Do whatever publicity stuff my publisher wants.
7. Cry like a baby upon seeing first novel published.
8. Edit second novel.

I believe that will be the relative order of things! Man now I'm stressed, but also super excited!

SomethingCatchy
12-07-2006, 10:26 PM
To add - also have to set up a website.

Jenan Mac
12-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Novel #2 has an outline, but only maybe a couple hundred words. It needs about 90,000 more of them, so that's the plan for 2007.
The dream is to get Novel #1 published, but thus far, no agent, no publisher. Candlemas (February 2) is my personal deadline to start working on that more actively again, if the "waiting patiently" thing doesn't work out.

I'd like to do a couple more short stories, too, but nothing as ambitious as one a week. Maybe one a month.

ChaosTitan
12-08-2006, 03:14 AM
I suck at setting and keeping goals. Truly. But at least I'm consistent, right?

* Finish writing The Judas Factor (novel WIP).

* Write the third novel in The Third Side trilogy with Serenity.

* Potentially write another novel with Serenity set in a different shared universe (since we write so fast together).

* Edit first novel in TTS trilogy and begin submission process.

* Continue to query Novel #2.

* Write at least one short story a month (hey, it's a starting-off point).

* Submit (and sell!) short stories.

jenfreedom
12-08-2006, 03:35 AM
1. Get a new website created
2. Send 40 queries a week until I get regular (steady) work with articles instead of copy work. I'm already pretty close to this.
3. Submit at least two fillers a week (I have no experience with fillers - so we'll see how this goes).
4. Get published in one of my personal two favorite pubs = Brain Child or Hip Mama.
5. Start my motherless daughters essay that's been looming in my mind for years yet I can't get it on paper.
6. Make enough to pay all of my monthly bills with writing articles only - no more copy, grants, or whatnot unless the project is fascinating.

These seem over bold. Oh, well - aim high I guess.
Hmmm, likely there's more but this is a good starter list.

~ Jennifer

OneTeam OneDream
12-08-2006, 06:17 AM
1. Meet February 1 deadline for book #2.

2. Sell book #1 and have a copy to send to Jenna Glatzer, Chris Stevenson and Raymond Wong who have all been promised one of the first copies. Also to send an actual published copy to Lauri Berkankamp who is the only person on AW who has read book #1 from start to finish. It would be nice for her to see where it started to where it finished...plus, I owe her...huge.

3. Complete fiction ms I started last year. (By started I mean wrote 40 pages, then stopped because of Book 1 and book 2.) This one is fiction which is out of the norm for me, book 1 and 2 are non-fiction.

4. Have one article published by a major magazine or newspaper.

5. Steal Ray's million dollars when he's not looking.

bluegrassandyb
12-08-2006, 06:50 AM
1. Finish rough draft of current WIP.
2. Submit at least 1 article per month.
3. Start writing novel #2.
4. Research for novel #3.
5. Organize!!!
6. Learn more about the business of writing.
7. Read/study The Elements of Style(?).
8. Read more fiction.

If I can get half of this done, I'll feel like I've accomplished something. I like to apply the pressure, though; it forces me to focus.