William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The richest 2% of adults in the world own more than half of all household wealth, according to a new study by a United Nations research institute. The report, from the World Institute for Development Economics Research at the UN University, says that the poorer half of the world's population own barely 1% of global wealth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6211250.stm

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
no, i always labored under the illusion that 16% of the world owned 23.5% of all household wealth, while 14% owned 22% of all household wealth, while 19% of the world owns 14% of the poor people, and those three guys own that one goat, the one with the one brown ear.

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The poor have riches that the wealthy will never enjoy. My uncle is rich and sleeps with a loaded gun in fear of someone stealing from him. That's no way to live.

Job's turkey,
Rick

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
I've read before that 5% of the people in the US control over 95% of it's wealth so I might just be thinking of that statistic.

Course, the goat thing I don't know about. Now sheep....well, over in the next county they do tend to love sheep rather frequently. Or so they tell me.:D

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It seems so wrong until you try to devise a simple remedy. What're you going to do? Robinhood their asses? That can't be right...

mooncars

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
yeah, being poor's a blast.

We wouldn't know. We have internet connections, which means electricity, which mean an abode of some kind. Can't really call that poor.

Richer by the minute,
Rick

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The poor oughta get off their asses and join us in the top 5%.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
So what. What's your point Will? Are rich people evil? Do rich people make poor people chattel for their amusement. Please tell me what you believe, so I can respond appropriately.

Thanks and have a nice day

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
no, i always labored under the illusion that 16% of the world owned 23.5% of all household wealth, while 14% owned 22% of all household wealth, while 19% of the world owns 14% of the poor people, and those three guys own that one goat, the one with the one brown ear.
Sorry, never been good at math. Although I do have a patent on high energy laser systems, and a few others, while toiling away at my meager job as a contract database programmer for one of the largest companies in the world.

See, give me some tangible stuff. Think of me as a manger. I want to know the big picture. I'm not to concerned with the details yet.

Thanks for understanding

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
SpookyWriter said:
See, give me some tangible stuff. Think of me as a manger. I want to know the big picture. I'm not to concerned with the details yet.

Um, with or without swaddling clothes?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It's a trick, anyway. You put 2.5 billion chinese and indian people on one end of the scale, and their entire net worth doesn't quite come up to a million dollars, that's gonna skew things quite a bit.

And don't EVEN get me started on everyone in Africa who doesn't run a safari or own a diamond mine.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
The richest 2% of adults in the world own more than half of all household wealth, according to a new study by a United Nations research institute. The report, from the World Institute for Development Economics Research at the UN University, says that the poorer half of the world's population own barely 1% of global wealth.

I know I'm not good at math (just ask Mark Butler), but in the quote above, you have:
2% owning more than half (should we just call it 55%?) of the stuff
and the poorer half (50%) owning just 1% of the stuff...

Who are the (100% minus 2% minus 50% = um, carry the one...) 48% who own the other 44% of the stuff?

Going to go put an icepack on my brain now. Be back later to see what the answer is.

ltd.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
limitedtimeauthor said:
Who are the 48% who own the other 44% of the stuff?

Everyone who's not very rich or very poor. Like you and me.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
mooncars said:
The poor have riches that the wealthy will never enjoy.

mooncars said:
We wouldn't know. We have internet connections, which means electricity, which mean an abode of some kind. Can't really call that poor.

i think you just contradicted yourself, sport.

you either know enough about being poor to assess their "riches" or you don't know.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
SpookyWriter said:
So what. What's your point Will?

same point as always. i like to see people figure out what they believe, articulate it, justify it and defend it.

it's how i get my jollies.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
same point as always. i like to see people figure out what they believe, articulate it, justify it and defend it.

it's how i get my jollies.
I appreciate the effort. However, I did my daily dose of entertaining others by showing up for work. But thanks anyway.

Cheers

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
Would better distribution of wealth actaully eliminate the real-world problems of poverty? Does the world have the physical and human resources to provide the basic necessities to everybody on earth?

I'm not trying to make a point. I don't know the answer.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
BottomlessCup said:
Would better distribution of wealth actaully eliminate the real-world problems of poverty? Does the world have the physical and human resources to provide the basic necessities to everybody on earth?

I'm not trying to make a point. I don't know the answer.
I think we should eliminate poverty by better controlling the product which is most responsible for this terrible situation.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
BottomlessCup said:
Everyone who's not very rich or very poor. Like you and me.
Yeah, well I guess that was my point anyway. Of course the "poorer half" own only one 1% - that's why we call them poor. And the 2% that own over half of the world's household goods? Would that be why we call them... ?

I hope they did not spend too much on this study! They could've gotten it a lot cheaper from some 5th grader in Biloxi. Sheesh. If I can figure it out... :Shrug:

ltd.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
its not the rich ppl's fault the rest of the world wanted to write poetry.

Status
Not open for further replies.