PDA

View Full Version : How to Categorize songs

rhymegirl
12-07-2006, 06:29 AM
I find it difficult to figure out what kind of song I've written.

My latest song I think can be done with a beat to it, rock category, but my son thinks it's a ballad.

Doesn't it depend on how you play it, how you arrange it?

jbal
12-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Yes. Also partially the subject matter I guess. Can you post it?

rhymegirl
12-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Yes. Also partially the subject matter I guess. Can you post it?

Well, only the lyrics. You'd need to hear the music.

mooncars
12-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Well, only the lyrics. You'd need to hear the music.

You could sing it into your pc mic and post it online somewhere (there are scads of free servers). We could listen then.

Keep on singing,
Rick

moblues
12-08-2006, 01:21 AM
It never matters. Never try to couch your work into some else's vision. It is what you want it to be. Forget genre. Calling a work one thing limits the expectaions of the audience.

Just write. This is from a lyricist who hid everything from the world for over 30 years. I hid my heart. I regret it.

Mike

jbal
12-08-2006, 01:38 AM
This is an aside, but here in the store when I get people looking for guitars, drums, etc, especially old ladies and such,I ask them:
"So what kind of music do you play, is it black metal, or is it more of death metal?"
I'm easily amused though.

rhymegirl
12-08-2006, 04:10 AM
This is an aside, but here in the store when I get people looking for guitars, drums, etc, especially old ladies and such,I ask them:
"So what kind of music do you play, is it black metal, or is it more of death metal?"
I'm easily amused though.

Ha ha ha! Yeah a granny playing heavy metal.

What would you say to me, Jon, I'm an old lady.

jbal
12-08-2006, 04:33 AM
What's funny is that every now and then I do get one that's playing metal, and that's even better.

rtilryarms
12-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Your description leads me to think folk music.