faux film fest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailor Kenshin

Started looking for more venues for my mockumentary video short. One was the New York International Independent Film and Video Festival. To enter, you had to first send an application consisting of a synopsis of your film or vid, along with other typical filmfest info.

I got an immediate e-mail from one of the promoters: We love this concept, call us tonight. (They're on the coast.)

I've just put in an exercise video and the phone rings. It's the
promoter. "Loved your concept, it has a lot of
identifiability."

My little antennae start twitching.

"This is ranked just under Sundance," she states. "If your film is chosen, you will get the chance to mingle with film industry personnel."

"Sounds like a seminar."

"What else can you tell us about this magnificent opus?"

"It had a budget of a hundred dollars," I say.

Brief silence. "Well, the entry fee is three hundred. Will that be a problem for you?"

"I have to discuss it further."

"How soon can you let me know? I have a deadline of Friday."

My Red-Alert signal is whooping.

"I might add that if your film is not chosen you will get your money returned in three days. Now, how soon can you let me know?"

"Later."

I hang up. I think about
investigating further, to see whether anyone has even heard of this film festival.

PS: She just phoned again. They must be desperate for that money.

Most of the entry fees we've encountered have been in the nothig-to-fifty-bucks range. Sundance online has a $20 fee.
--Agent K

bottomlesscup

It's a legit film festival, but in my opinion, it's not worth the money.

"It's ranked just under Sundance." is total baloney. It's way, way, way under Sundance. $300 is outrageous. Most of the films screened seem to be low-level docs and shorts.

I was in Vegas during this and swung by the Palms to check it out. You wouldn't have guessed a film festival was going on. Near as I can tell, they just showed seven nights of movies at Brendan Theatres.

Their seminar panelists (which include the theater's PR guy!) are nothing special. The top panelist was a B-movie producer.

Spend your money on some real festivals. Or tell them you're poor and try to get the entry fee waived. It's worth a shot.

Sailor Kenshin

Most of the films screened seem to be low-level docs and shorts.

:ha
Hey! That's what mine is. A low-level doc AND short.

That's why I keep it to fest whose entry fees are $25 and under.

Cup, Thanks for the first-hand report; I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.