Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
CNET Network's senior editor, James Kim, who had been missing since after Thanksgiving, was found dead in the Oregon wilderness. His wife and two young daughters were recovered by rescue teams on Monday -- and they're doing well. James Kim went looking for help on Saturday. Rescuers were hopeful yesterday after finding a pair of man's pants, believed to be James's. Out of heroics and love for his family, he went on his own (without food or survival kits) searching for help; ironically, he might have survived had he stayed with his family.

I've watched James on CNET for a while now and found him pleasant and knowledgeable. My heart goes out to his wife and children. I'll be praying for them.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003493811

What I don't understand is, why were they using outdated maps. James was a techno guru. Shouldn't they have a GPS? And what about cell phones (probably out of range)? I can't imagine being stuck in the wilderness with your family without enough food and water. And why did it take so long for rescuers to find them? Didn't anyone know where they were going, and wouldn't they have alerted the authority sooner when they failed to contact their loved ones?

This tragedy raised a lot of questions for me, and also reminded me how dangerous it is out there. One minute you're enroute to a family vacation in the mountains, and the next you find yourself stranded with no ways to communicate with the world, and then the next, you're dead. It's very scary, and it could happen to anybody.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I was amazed at the survival instincts the family initially showed. After taking a wrong turn and ending up snowed in, the family ran the car's heater until they ran out of gas. Then they burned the car's tires for heat.

Kim didn't leave until they'd run out of food.

He was a brave man, who died as any man would want to die: doing his damnedest to save his family. It's a shame he did not know they'd been saved before he passed.

Reaction score
dclary said:
He was a brave man, who died as any man would want to die: doing his damnedest to save his family. It's a shame he did not know they'd been saved before he passed.

He knows, David. He knows.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
dclary said:

great post.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am praying for this family, James was from my home town.
What a loving and courageous man! What an amazing woman, keeping those babes alive.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If there was a miracle, that's it... that she was able to keep the children alive by breast-feeding them, despite the fact that she had no food herself.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
They have a memorial set up at cnet.com where you can send your condolences. Of course there are also his bios as well as video clips.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This story really touched me. I wass really cheering or the guy to be found alive. Just so sad.
I heard a news broadcast from a helicopter, and the reporter was describing how difficult it was to find the car even when they already knew the coordinates. (this was after the mother and children were found). There's nothing like a snowstorm to turn you around.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's sobering to watch this video at cnet.com:

http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-25121.html?tag=vid&autoplay=true#mgallery

Hug your loved ones today.

His death hit me harder than I expected. I guess partly because I was rooting for his rescue. I was so elated when they found his wife and kids, and was hoping they would find him as well. Also, he was Asian-American, living an American dream, a writer, and a techno-geek just as I am. I've been watching him since his days at TechTV and so in a way, it's like a friend just died, even though I don't really know him personally.

RIP, James.

Last edited:

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
It's sobering to watch this video at cnet.com:

http://www.cnettv.com/9710-1_53-25121.html?tag=vid&autoplay=true#mgallery

Hug your loved ones today.

His death hit me harder than I expected. I guess partly because I was rooting for his rescue. I was so elated when they found his wife and kids, and was hoping they would find him as well. Also, he was Asian-American, living an American dream, a writer, and a techno-geek just as I am. I've been watching him since his days at TechTV and so in a way, it's like a friend just died, even though I don't really know him personally.

RIP, James.
:Hug2:

God, I am a little disappointed with you today....

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Been watching that story for days, just praying the guy would be found alive.

It was heartbreaking when the news broke in our office that they had found him dead. I guess we were all hoping for a little good news and a christmas miracle.

I gotta agree with Kimmi, I too am a little disappointed in God today.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
WackAMole said:
Been watching that story for days, just praying the guy would be found alive.

It was heartbreaking when the news broke in our office that they had found him dead. I guess we were all hoping for a little good news and a christmas miracle.

I gotta agree with Kimmi, I too am a little disappointed in God today.

LOL.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Jean Marie said:
I must be missing where the humor is. There isn't any. None. At. All. Death. Is. Not. Funny. Especially, when my mom is in the middle of it. I kinda know how this family is feeling.

dclary, you're a real ass. Sometimes. Most of the time.

I don't think name calling is either allowed or appropriate on this message board. Please take your hate elsewhere.

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.confessionsofacashier.com

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Jean Marie said:
Sorry, but your response (LOL, in post # 17), I found to be horribly hateful.

I understand, and I was prepared to discuss that, before you replied so... strenuously.

I said LOL not to the whole post I quoted, but the last part.

I found it ironic and not a little amusing for people to express their dissatisfaction with God over this one thing.

I could try to explain how I feel about it, but God already did a better job of it, than I could.

GOD said:
2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?
9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,

10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,

11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?

I laughed because there was a miracle. A woman and her two children survived something they shouldn't have. An amazing miracle. A miracle beyond all hope.

And yet we have the utter chutzpah to complain to GOD that the man who walked out into the snow, without the faith to stay in the car and wait for said miracle, died?

I laughed out of stunned amazement.

I'm sorry you found that hateful.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
I was deeply saddened when I heard this news.

From what I heard, James Kim did what he set out to do. He saved his family. What they reported here is that they couldn't see the car from the sky, but they could see Mr. Kim's tracks. They followed his tracks back and that is when they spotted his wife. He was a brave man, doing what he did for his family.

I am glad the Mrs. Kim and the children were found alive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.