No Good Scripts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRHolbrook

Hello Everyone,

Jaded by constant remakes and sequels, accompanied with the droll excuse that there are no good scripts- I have designed a web site that will get good screenplays into the hands of people that could produce them. (www.nogoodscripts.com)

When a writer submits a screenplay, we have not one, but two professional script readers read the screenplay and write serious critical analysis (we call it coverage but it is heavier on the comments rather than the synopsis).

The two pieces of coverage are posted on our on-line database so that agencies, studios, and other writers can take a look at what these writers have to offer. At nogoodscripts we offer genuine, honest feedback; we do not simply promote scripts, we promote screenwriting.

If people want to read the actual screenplay, they have to specifically solicite it from us (the script itself is not posted).

Founded by writers who are disenchanted by the Hollywood system that marginalizes writers, this site offers the best way to get good criticism and get your work out there.

We have just launched this week and have already recieved some interesting work. Please check it out and give me feedback- how could it improve? Does it work? Let me know...

Thank you all,

Tom Bean
nogoodscripts.com

HConn

Holy Ravioli!

This is the site we were just discussing on a screen-writing email list (the emails had the subject header "Another @#%$-heel dream merchant.")

The company is based in that center of movie-activity known as Chestnut Hill, MA. When they say your work will get "out there," they mean faaaaaaar out there.

It costs $250 bucks to have your script covered and listed on the site. Only the coverage is available. If a buyer wants to read it, they're supposed to pay $50 for a copy of the script.

:wha

:ack

Is there anyone who thinks this setup will benefit anyone other than Mr. Bean?

Mr. Bean, I realize that it's a tough job market, but please go out and find a respectable job. Maybe something in the three card monte or Nigerian banking fields.

NikeeGoddess

oh....

that is SO PATHETIC.

$250 to put your script on a site and get coverage from lousy disenchanted writers who can't get anyone to read and produce their own scripts

$50 cost to a producer or agent who wants to read your script - are you outta your mind?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and you were so bold to put your name on that post
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GET A JOB, MORON!

spooknov

Re: oh....

Well, me being me, I just had to check the site out for myself. First, there seems to be nothing special. It is professional, but it doesn't stand out. Second, why would the "fat cat" producers/agencies pay a website $50 per script when they recieve thousands of scripts for free? If the script is any good, eventually someone will pick it up. Just wondering how this would benefit the newbies that are willing to shell out $250 (which seems pricey, IMO)? I have to say BIG RED FLAG!!!!

FJ and G

Re: oh....

While I wouldn't have put it quite that way, I do have to agree with Nikee Goddess. Seems like someone's trying to make a quick buck or two off that site. I'd be leery of such ventures.

xtz

Ha Ha!

"Professional script readers" - anyone who charges instantly is, even if they've never read a script before.

This is funny -- you pay $250 to have your script described as "Long, tedious, and obvious.". I'm sure there'll be stacks of takers for that one... I really hope that wasn't a customer's script but one of theirs they posted to get the site going.

TRHolbrook

Feedback

Thank you all for your feedback,

I had asked for criticism and got outright condemnation.

The rates really didn't seem that high compared to many other websites that charge more and offer less. But with this overwhelming reaction, I will completely reassess the pricing.

The design really wasn't meant to demonize anyone on the west coast, it is simply a hyperbolized reaction to lame hollywood fare. I am simply trying to create a database that people can look at without paying, in order to showcase coverage of good screenplays.

What I don't agree with is a reaction against an honest review, and I think honesty is a good thing (such as the reaction I recieved from you guys). Also, because the internet contracts physical space, the fact that we are located in Boston should not be a problem.

I know many people on the internet seem to prey on people who 'don't know better,' but I am genuinely trying to help writers who don't live in LA and who want someone to read their work. The money we charge goes into paying the readers (to assure a well-thought out analysis) and to pay for the upkeep and running of the site.

Thanks for kicking my ass a bit, I am not trying to scam anyone and will reassess the rates.

NikeeGoddess

Feedback

maybe your intent is not to scam but without personal clout in the industry no one will give you that kind of money. you obviously didn't do you *research. there are some great sites that offer similar and much better access to tptb AND they don't charge that kind of money either.

and since first impressions make all the difference i suggest you bag it, take it as a loss, and reap the rewards that you may have learned something. but, that's just my opinion and i'm nobody ;)

*anyone who starts any kind of business must do their research.

TRHolbrook

What do you think If we charged 150 for writers and no money for people soliciting scripts?

Would this make it comparable to the sites you mentioned?

Regarding research into similar companies- the ones we found, like script pimp (which seems to be the standard) charges 350 to have one person read a script, and they only post the screenplays they decide are good enough (not even the ones that might just show promise but have mediocre execution) and people have to pay to look at their database.

Couldn't no good scripts, though it is just starting, ultimately compete with sites like this- what we lack in name, currently, we make up for in honesty and universal exposure?

I thank you again for your feedback.

DevoGrrl

Hey, I work in the industry, here's one for you. If a person form Boston gave me 50 bucks to read a script, I may do that. If he calls me asking ME to pay $50 for reading a script, I'd refer him to a good psychiatrist and tell him to go find himself a job... No offense, but this is a bunch of kaka

seeb55

I think you have to ask yourself, why do you want to be in the script reading business anyway? Is it just a way to make money?

Anyone who's been around long enough knows Hollywood doesn't choose the BEST scripts to make into movies. There are a ton of other factors that make it so difficult for new writers. It is NOT simply because producers say there are no good scripts out there.

If you really want to launch this venture out of the goodness of your heart, then you might consider making it free on both ends, and then after your brilliant successes of getting writers sold, then maybe consider setting fees based on your track record.

But how can you do it for free and still quit your day job? Come up with a magic answer to that, and you might have something struggling writers will pay for.

NikeeGoddess

worth repeating

If you really want to launch this venture out of the goodness of your heart, then you might consider making it free on both ends, and then after your brilliant successes of getting writers sold, then maybe consider setting fees based on your track record.

just by lowing the cost doesn't make you credible. it makes you sound like a used car salesman.

wow! with all that research you only came up with one example. good job ...

certified instigator

Re: worth repeating

What do you think If we charged 150 for writers and no money for people soliciting scripts?
I'd need to know the experience and industry connections of the readers before I'd pay that kind of money.
but I am genuinely trying to help writers who don't live in LA and who want someone to read their work.
Then I would ask the same question: What is the experience and industry connections of the person reading the script.

$150 for peer review doesn't cut it. I can get peer review on triggerstreet and zoetrope. And more often than not, that peer review isn't worth what I paid - nothing.

I think seeb55 has it right - if you want to be able to charge $50 or $100 or $150 to cover a script you should have a really good track record.

xtz

You guys!

I can't believe you guys are giving this guy FREE advice.

For business advice -- $500 -- I'll answer when the check hits the mat.

mammamaia

hits the mat, xtz?

...better wait 'til it clears the bank!:money :gone

Status
Not open for further replies.