Floor Sample by Julia Cameron

willwrite4food

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.FinishedPages.com
I read "The Artist's Way" a few years ago and got a lot out of it, although I don't have time to do morning pages these days with two small children to care for in the mornings! Floor Sample is her creative memoir and while it is mentally exhausting to read, I can't put it down. She has uprooted herself so many times, struggled with alcoholism in her younger years, suffered several emotional breakdowns. In spite of it all, it is inspiring me to get off my can and write more (after I finish the book). Anyone else read it? What did you think?

thewritermama

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thewritermama.com
Just finished Julia Cameron's Floor Sample

I received it as a holiday gift and could NOT put it down. I know we can do spoilers here, but I hate to ruin it for anyone else.

Has anyone else read it?

Well, in case you haven't...it reads better than many novels I've picked up over the years. In fact, I'd say, if you are an Artist's Way fan that it reads like a chocolate-covered-juicy novel because it's full of celebrities, drama and read-life writer-challenges.

Also, if you've read Julia Cameron's books, it answers many questions you may have had about her. I know I had many and I'm pretty sure this book answered them all.

I give it a thumb's up with one caveat. Don't read it if you are in a shaky place in your own life (and you are really sensitive, like me). It's NOT for the feint of heart.

Is it sitting on anyone else's shelf?

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
I read and own The Artist's Way but didn't read Floor Sample. Thank you for sharing with us. I would read this novel as soon as I can get my hands on it. She is an interesting character!

Dacia

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Christina,

I have to admit that I had not heard of this book before you mentioned it here, but based on your description I bought it and put it on my shelf. I just read it this past week and I loved it. You’re right – it really did answer some of the questions I had about Julia Cameron. Plus, I just love to hear all the little itty-bitty details of writers’ lives, and this book was full of them.

A big hug and thank you for recommending it.