Sold first script, first-time out. Time for an agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patton

Folks - I'm looking for a little guidance. I posted a while back telling my bizarre tale of writing a first-time script that ended up in a Hollywood star's hands. Long story short - very recently, his production company extended an offer to purchase the script. My question is: I have a second script near completion (same genre), is selling a first script ammo enough to go "agent hunting?" And if so, and if I'd like to aim high (understanding that it may be wishful thinking), what are the top agencies in Hollywood for writers? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

NikeeGoddess

Congrats!!!
A sale is definitely powerful ammunition, esp if the star has some clout. Work hard on the next script and don't try to sell yourself with a "near-completed" work. You want to have it "market-ready".

You can get a comprehensive list of agents with the Hollywood Creative Directory here: www.hcdonline.com/
or you can join a site that has lists like www.scriptpimp.com/

It may not be you best bet to join a top agency, only b/c some say that you may get lost in the shuffle with so many clients. A smaller agency could possibly give you more personal attention.

write on!

mammamaia

top 3 are still [i think] caa, icm, and wm. morris [not necessarily in that order]...

but, as nike notes, there are plenty of smaller agencies who can do a good job for you... with one sale under your belt and another offering ready to be shopped, it certainly IS the time to find yourself an agent... congrats, and good luck!!!

love and hugs, maia

cathypaulwriter

Sale of your script

First of all MAZEL TOV!
Secondly, you did have your OWN legal representation when you signed on the dotted line for the first sale, right?

scriptosell

Congrats and yes, I would. I found a good agent in...

the Writer's Guide to Hollywood Producers, Directors and Screenwriter''s Agents by Prima Publishing.

:heart

cleoauthor

If you've already sold a script to a major star, you're sitting in a very good position to find exactly the right agent for you. Yes, there are the biggies -- the CAA, ICM's, etc. They're often packagers, providing writers, directors, etc. Sometimes it's easy to get lost in those big agencies, especially if you're a newbie, without a hot track record. There are many fine boutique agencies who only take a limited number of writers but might give you more personalized service. Decide which kind of agency works best for you. Large or small? Do you and the agent share the same goals for your career? Sometimes agents shove you in a direction that while lucrative might not be the best for your long-term career.

Once you meet with an agent, ask for a client list. If they decline, they would make me nervous. But that just might be a personal bete noir of mine.

Good luck! And remember you're the boss of the agent -- not the other way around!

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.