Perfect POD possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I published a reference book with a company called Routledge. The book goes to libraries at a price of $125 per copy. They gave me the trade paperback rights so I might have a chance to offer a softcover version of the book, maybe at $25. I've tried a couple of major publishers with no luck.

I'm wondering if this would be a good project to try POD?

Would there be a chance of any stores picking up the book? It's available right now at Amazon, etc. but for the hardcover $125 cost. Would Amazon display the soft cover version too? Would I need to use the same cover? Would I have to use the same cover?

These are just some of my first questions....

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
popmuze said:
Last year I published a reference book with a company called Routledge. The book goes to libraries at a price of $125 per copy. They gave me the trade paperback rights so I might have a chance to offer a softcover version of the book, maybe at $25. I've tried a couple of major publishers with no luck.

I'm wondering if this would be a good project to try POD?

Would there be a chance of any stores picking up the book? It's available right now at Amazon, etc. but for the hardcover $125 cost. Would Amazon display the soft cover version too? Would I need to use the same cover? Would I have to use the same cover?

These are just some of my first questions....
You might want to start by querying more publishers. This sounds like a proven product, not a rank speculation. Someone should be interested.

Failing that, you might want to experiment with a POD option (Lulu.com is an intensely practical choice here), do your own marketing, and offer copies as an Amazon Reseller. (There is a lot of wiggle room there. I know a fellow who offers new copies of his self-published book--he is a pro and it is a high quality product, by the way--under the guise of "scuffed" or suchlike. No, he just picks the next one off the top of a case of books. He can sell at a discount from retail and make a much better profit than he does via Amazon, with its 55% discount from retail.) POD books are not going to get into bookstores except on an occasional one-off basis.

If that works well, you might want to consider an offset print run. Do everything right (read Dan Poynter's book on self-publishing for guidance), and you might be able to get it into bookstores. Key throughout, in my opinion, is to avoid undercutting the hardcover publisher's market. Do not attempt to target libraries.

As for cover -- that depends on who owns the rights to the cover design. Maybe you are not entitled to use the same cover design.

BTW, if the hardcover goes for $125, a price of $40 or $50 on a trade paperback would seem like a bargain. This might also be a matter of not undercutting the hardcover publisher. That could argue for a higher price yet on the trade paperback ($75?). Price it right and you can offer full trade discounts with no problem.

Not knowing the subject or potential non-library market for the book, the above are just speculations, offered FWIW.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.