PDA

View Full Version : Three Fingers Up

mooncars
12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
To hear this song, click HERE (http://www.isound.com/rick_jones). Written for my Mrs. This particular tune garnered several #1 spots online, as well as being played on some very big Podcasts.

Enjoy,
Rick

DreamWorks
12-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Pretty good! If this was on the radio I would probably switch over, but I would probably do the same with my songs so don't take it personally!

mooncars
12-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Completely understood. I never listen to my own music. Once it's finished, I move on. I'm a hasd rock kinda guy, and ballads test my patience.

Au reverb,
Rick

jbal
12-07-2006, 01:41 AM
Rick- as soon as I get around to hooking up my speakers here at work, I'm going to check out the stuff you posted. Busy though, holidays ya know.

I'm the opposite of you I think, I listen to my own stuff quite a bit. If anyone else was doing what I do, I would listen to their stuff too though.

mooncars
12-07-2006, 02:28 AM
jbal;
It's neither good nor bad to listen to your own music. I just get really antsy to move to the next thing. I'm also a painter, and my paintings are usually stacked in a corner or given away as they're finished. Bizarre, I know. For me, the enjoyment is in the making of a song, painting, what have you. Hopefully someday I'll make time to sit and listen to my stuff and enjoy it. Thanks in advance for listening.

Au reverb,
Rick

jbal
12-07-2006, 05:16 AM
I have the same problem with revising songs. It's only recently I've started doing it at all. Usually once something's done, if I'm not 100% satisfied, I just move on and write something else. So I've recorded about 21 albums, most of which could use some improvement.

ETA: it's nice to see some activity on this board lately. So many songsters out there, this place should be my main hangout.

mooncars
12-07-2006, 06:19 AM
jbal;
I've been writing songs for over 30 years. At the beginning I labored over a song for months. Now, it's usually an hour or so from beginning to finished recording. Are there mistakes in my recordings? You bet! I grew up on Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper and a zillion others. I write in many styles now. It's alot of fun.
Hope you get to listen to this one. Keep making music.

Rock on,
Rick

jbal
12-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Mistakes make for a better song I think. There's something about that first take vibe that's awesome. Almost Everything I hear on the radio these days is so polished that it just sounds correct, no soul, no power.

mooncars
12-07-2006, 06:46 AM
jbal;
You hit the nail on the head. I don't do second takes. One take per track. If I screw the solo, oh well it has feel. If I blurt a word, oh well, it's ok. Gimme garage anyday.
Always great to talk to a fellow musician/composer.

Yore pal,
Rick

LloydBrown
12-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Oh, it's a song. I thought this was another thread about Britney Spears.

mooncars
12-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Only three? Lloyd, you ornery varmint! Now you gotta listen!

I'm not Britney,
Rick

rtilryarms
12-08-2006, 06:02 AM
I liked Three Fingers Up and Lay My Pistol Down

mooncars
12-08-2006, 06:13 AM
I liked Three Fingers Up and Lay My Pistol Down

That's encouraging. Thanks for listening.

best to you,
Rick

jbal
12-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Moonster-finally got my d*** speaker hooked up here. Very good stuff, I particularly like your guitar playing, very tasteful. Sorry it took so long to respond. I checked out the collage too, which is more up my alley, very diverse and cool.

mooncars
12-09-2006, 07:14 AM
jbal;
Thanks a billion for listening. I love the harder edged stuff myself. But I have to change up or I get very bored.

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~tommut/poll/poll_images/hermey.jpg

I want to be a den-tist,
Rick