Here's how to make Macros

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

In a previous post we discussed formatting. Someone mentioned that Word has a scriptwriting program (or tools?). I went to MS Word Web site and emailed them. That was a couple weeks ago.

Never heard back from anyone.

So, I got a hold of several formatting books (each is a bit different and there seems to be no standardization). I took the average of all of the formats out there and programmed them into a macro and here's how I made it work.

Open up a MS Word document or make a new one, and follow these steps:

Go to Tools

Click on "Record a Macro"

Give it a name such as Parenthetical, Character, Dialogue, etc. Click OK

Go to Format

Click on Paragraph

Set values of margins and choose center or left, click OK when done.

There's a tiny box on your screen. Click the left side of that box, which stops the recording. That's it.

Here's a shortcut way to access the macro:

Click tools, hit the M key twice. Takes you right to your stored macros. Choose your macro and then select "Run."

Presto, it formats your paragraph. You don't even need to highlight the paragraph. Just have your cursor anywhere in the paragraph or line of text and it does everything right up to the "return."

Very useful tool and glad to share something here with you as I'm usually just asking questions.

dpaterso

I'm not sure whether macros are the quickest and easiest method... but if it's all you've got, I'm not arguing.

Hopefully this adds something rather than confuses:

I have an rtf file with screenwriting styles already set up -- if anyone wants it, just shout. You can assign alt-keys to give you quick access to each style. Here's the step-by-step:

Select Tools
Select Customize
Select the "Keyboard" button
In the "Categories" sub-window scroll down and select "Styles"

Select a style, e.g. ACTION
Select the "Press new shortcut key" field, then hold down the Alt key and hit letter key "A"
(The text "Alt-A" will appear in the field)
Select the "Assign" button to assign the alt-A key combination to ACTION

Repeat for CHARACTER NAME (alt-C)
ditto DIALOG (alt-D)
ditto PARENTHETICAL (alt-P)
ditto SCENE HEADING (alt-S)
ditto TRANSITION (alt-T)
...remembering to select the "Assign" button after each.

Now, whenever you're typing, you only have to use alt-whatever to change text to that style.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

love2code

If you're using Word, then you can remap your TAB key to scroll through each of the style you create so you can navigate through them just like you would in screenwriting software. Just make sure to unload all macros automatically upon closing or exiting document/word.

xtz

word templates

visit www.google.com and type in

free screenwriting word template

or some such thing

There are a huge number of screenwriting templates out there - including some "professional" ones which you have to pay a laughable amount of money for (ha ha) but which are basically no better than the free ones.

If you learn how to do macro programming yourself (its fairly easy which is the reason for all the templates -- anyone can do it) then you'll find out you can do add pretty much any screenwriting feature you want to Word.

Basically though all you need is a stylesheet with styles for dialogue, character etc and some keyboard shortcuts to change the style - which is what the free ones do for you.

FJ and G

Re: word templates

xtz,

Did find many so called "free" screenwriting programs but in fine print indicated they were demos, and gave you a trial period before purchasing.

If you know of any that really are free and are up to date, pls provide a URL.

Reg. my Macros idea, there are only about 5 or 6 macros you need. No rocket science here. I'm not sure what more a software prg would offer since macros are easy to use, but I'd be willing to test drive a software program & report pros and cons.

xtz

Yes, there really are FREE ones

Did you try

free screenwriting word template

The first result gives what appears to be a free template

They are out there - but you're going to have to spend a little time searching - on google - or via the screenwriting sites which list links to them all

the free bbc ones are here - haven't checked them out myself

www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom...oads.shtml

love2code

Re: Yes, there really are FREE ones

here's my template... I haven't added features like autocomplete but for formatting and using the TAB key like Final Draft it works great.

hellojohnlee.netfirms.com/

xtz

keybindings

lovecode

Try using CustomizationContext so keybindings apply to the attached template in your AssignTabKey macro

CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate
KeyBindings.Add etc

when you have a document opened from the template - or

CustomizationContext = ActiveDocument

if you have the template itself open

you only need to run this once - not every time a new document is created - and you don't need to clear keybindings when you close either.

Status
Not open for further replies.