Screenwriting schools and other questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinysea

I have an idea for a "based on a true story" type of movie, but I don't know where to start, or even if I have the "write stuff" to pull this off. Some questions that come to mind:

What level of education is needed for screenwriting, e.g. degree in English, creative writing, other? Course recommendations?
Is there a difference between writing for the "silver screen" and a TV movie?
What and how much research is involved when basing a story on actual events and real life people, living and dead? Also the legalities?
If I decide I don't have what it takes to do this (write a screenplay), how can I get someone else to run with the idea? If I go this route, I'm not looking for compensation, just would like to see it done. (I've heard it said that if you want to be a writer, you should marry into money).

A little on my background: 2 years of college, no real writing experience or education other than non-fiction newspaper articles for a college newspaper and the course work involved, and an occasional article for a local recreational newspaper (scuba diving). Plenty of ideas, just don't know how to go about putting them down. Thanks in advance.

Greg

mammamaia

some answers...

I have an idea for a "based on a true story" type of movie, but I don't know where to start, or even if I have the "write stuff" to pull this off.

everybody has ideas... to 'pull this off' means being able to write your idea [or pay to have it written] into a polished, professional quality screenplay and be able to get it to agents and producers, and then to sell it... and, after it's sold, it still might never be produced... and, even if produced, it might never be released... many more times the number of films that are released, end up languishing forever on shelves in cans, or in the original brad-bound script, never having been made...

What level of education is needed for screenwriting, e.g. degree in English, creative writing, other?

none in particular... it's the level of writing talent and skill you should be asking about...

Course recommendations?

basic english grammar and any creative writing, for starters... then screenwriting at nyu, ucla, or usc, if you want the best...

Is there a difference between writing for the "silver screen" and a TV movie?

not much, but a significant one, since tv movies are based on 7 acts, not 3, to allow for commercial breaks...

What and how much research is involved when basing a story on actual events and real life people, living and dead?

as much as is called for, in order to get everything accurate and believable... could be months, could be years... short of months, you probably haven't done a good enough job...

Also the legalities?

depends on the story... if people are living, you may have to get releases... if all are dead, you may still have to contend with surviving relatives or descendants... you need to consult a literary attorney to decide what you need or don't... if you don't consult one you're either stupid or suicidal...

If I decide I don't have what it takes to do this (write a screenplay), how can I get someone else to run with the idea?

you pay them at least wga minimum [$50k] if you want to end up with something that has a chance to be sold and made... if you get someone to do it for nothing, and be paid when it sells, they'll be as clueless as you and just as lacking in the knowledge of how to write it right... no pro will write it for free, unless it's such a hot-merde concept they see :money , flashing instantly, and you're willing to give it up to them and retain only 'story by' credit...

If I go this route, I'm not looking for compensation, just would like to see it done.

good, 'cause you probably won't get any... and odds are it'll never get done... miracles do happen, i suppose, so if you're really driven, you won't let the facts stand in your way...

(I've heard it said that if you want to be a writer, you should marry into money).

true...

if you'd like more details, or have any more questions, feel free to email me at: [email protected]

i'll be glad to send you some stuff on the basics of getting started in screenwriting and tips from the pros, as well as a 'tools of the trade' list...

love and hugs, maia

dchapma123

Re: some answers...

"... then screenwriting at nyu, ucla, or usc, if you want the best..."

If only it were that simple. They may be the best, but they're also the most competitive to get into. Many universities have film programs, with screenwriting courses. That's not to say that they're all fantastic, but at least you'll be on your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.