Population 436...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
I love movies; especially horror movies. Anything from gory to suspensful. I have noticed a trend lately, though. Some of the best movies are going straight to video and the really not so great ones are going to "the big screen". I don't know about you but I like good movies...period. I love to rent unknown movies.
Anyway, I say that to say this. I rented Population 436, and was pleasantly surprised. It is really suspenseful and eerie. I really like this movie and I wanted to share that with you guys. It stars Jeremy Sisto (Wrong Turn) and a few other known folks. Here's the tagline:

A census-taker (Sisto) is sent to investigate why a certain small town has had the same population -- 436 residents -- for the last 100 years.

I rented this movie and was pleasantly surprised, which is hard to do because I am incredibly picky. Just in case you were looking for movies to rent, I'd recommend this one. Enjoy! :D
~Horror Writer

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter said:
I love movies; especially horror movies. Anything from gory to suspensful. I have noticed a trend lately, though. Some of the best movies are going straight to video and the really not so great ones are going to "the big screen". I don't know about you but I like good movies...period. I love to rent unknown movies.
Anyway, I say that to say this. I rented Population 436, and was pleasantly surprised. It is really suspenseful and eerie. I really like this movie and I wanted to share that with you guys. It stars Jeremy Sisto (Wrong Turn) and a few other known folks. Here's the tagline:

A census-taker (Sisto) is sent to investigate why a certain small town has had the same population -- 436 residents -- for the last 100 years.

I rented this movie and was pleasantly surprised, which is hard to do because I am incredibly picky. Just in case you were looking for movies to rent, I'd recommend this one. Enjoy! :D
~Horror Writer

Well, movies usually go straight to video because test audiences loathed it, and I've found they're usually right. But now and then a good one does slip through, and sometimes it seems I spend half my time looking for the ones the test audiences missed. Haven't tried 436, but it sounds worth a try.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
I have POPULATION 436 on my Netflix queue. Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, 99% of the DTV horror I have been seein is amateurish dreck, some even looking like they were shot on camcorders, but there are hidden gems out there.

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's now in my Netflix queue too. The concept sounds interesting.

Wait a minute, Fred Durst is in this movie? I hope he acts better than he sings.

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
Huh, the plot reminds me of a really creepy part of Dan Simmons' Hyperion... anybody read it? Those villagers were freaky. (not going into it too much just in case it's close to the plot of the movie:))

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
tourdeforce said:
I have POPULATION 436 on my Netflix queue. Looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, 99% of the DTV horror I have been seein is amateurish dreck, some even looking like they were shot on camcorders, but there are hidden gems out there.

You are so right. There was some movie that I rented that was so terrible that I took it out because it was putting me to sleep. There are a few gems. I usually look at the studio, the actors, plot, etc.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
louisgodwin said:
It's now in my Netflix queue too. The concept sounds interesting.

Wait a minute, Fred Durst is in this movie? I hope he acts better than he sings.

I'm NOT a fan of Fred's either. The movie focuses on Jeremy Sisto. I really don't remember Fred's part if that's any consolation to you!:D

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
yanallefish said:
Huh, the plot reminds me of a really creepy part of Dan Simmons' Hyperion... anybody read it? Those villagers were freaky. (not going into it too much just in case it's close to the plot of the movie:))

Never read that, Yanal. I'll have to check it out. In any case, this was a cool movie!:)

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I don't believe I've ever heard of this movie but it does sound interesting. So, I'm going to check it out as well.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Thanks for the recommendaton - I just added it to my Netflix list too! Those poor guys are going to go nuts wondering why the movie is so popluar all of a sudden.

Carlene

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Gonna add it to my netflix que as well heheh

Im a total horror fan, but most of the stuff they put out nowadays is just gory crap.

Man I soooo long for a good old fashioned scare with that really creepy hair on the back of your neck sensation you get with it.

The last time I got that was in the grudge, opening scene where he is standing at the balcony. It was so "wierd and creepy"..it was so well done that you knew something was OFF but I was still surprised when he just leaned over and splat.

Betty Davis, The old twilight zone, sci fi theater..god i miss those days!

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Creepy, intriguing, well paced although predictable. Definitely worth a rental.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
tourdeforce said:

Tour,
I won't spoil it for everyone but I thought that something different would happen at the end. The opposite of what actually happened. I was so hopeful for them...lol. It was cool though.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
WackAMole said:
Gonna add it to my netflix que as well heheh

Im a total horror fan, but most of the stuff they put out nowadays is just gory crap.

Man I soooo long for a good old fashioned scare with that really creepy hair on the back of your neck sensation you get with it.

The last time I got that was in the grudge, opening scene where he is standing at the balcony. It was so "wierd and creepy"..it was so well done that you knew something was OFF but I was still surprised when he just leaned over and splat.

Betty Davis, The old twilight zone, sci fi theater..god i miss those days!

I agree. I miss the old Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Alfred Hitchcock presents, Ray Bradbury Theater, Tales From the Crypt series, etc.

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
NIGHT GALLERY episodes are now newly available on iTunes for 1.99 a pop. I downloaded the Speilberg directed episode (but haven't watched it yet) - actually featuring two different tales.

They also have ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS.

Definitely a good way to spend 30 minutes of your commute.

And the TALES FROM THE CRYPT DVD sets are great (although commentaries would be a huge bonus).

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter said:
the old Twilight Zone, Tales From the Crypt series, etc.

Ah, yes. My favorites as a kid were "Tales from the Darkside" and "Monsters."

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Okay, I got it, I watched it - I liked it! Had a very surprising ending, which I did not see coming! Any other recommendations? I'm starting to exhaust the DVDs at Netflix! Hey, there's nothing on TV to watch!

Carlene

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Carlene said:
Okay, I got it, I watched it - I liked it! Had a very surprising ending, which I did not see coming! Any other recommendations? I'm starting to exhaust the DVDs at Netflix! Hey, there's nothing on TV to watch!

Carlene

Hey Carlene! Have you watched the Plague? It's a story by Clive Barker. It went straight to video. I loved it! Didn't really care for the very end, but hey, it was good. Here's the plot:
Ten years have passed since the world's children have fallen into a coma. Tonight they're waking up and all hell is breaking loose. An un-holy battle between the generations is being waged against all adults, and time is not on their side.

You might also want to check out Pulse. It's new and actually pretty good. I liked what it had to say. It was released in theaters. A surprisingly good movie. :D

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

Saw it last night, and I'm in total agreement with what Tour said. Though the film quality had that "made-for-tv" look which I hate.

I kinda wished they developed the back story a little bit more, you know the one with the "wicked man" who came to town 100 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.