My social networking profile cost me my job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone...I'm looking for quotes for a women's Web site article I'm writing on people who've lost their job/not gotten a job they wanted because of info posted on their social-networking profile.

Has this happened to you, or do you know anyone? I'm looking to get in touch with people who this issue affects.

Thanks!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is touching off a dim memory of a message I read at some forum, and the discussion it sparked. Since this is the only place I go where it's likely to have taken place, maybe someone can help you find it. It was at least six months ago, possibly much more.

The story, as I remember it, involved a male employee who didn't know what to do when a fellow male employee found their female boss' nude picture on a dating website and shared it with the office via email. I have no memory of who wrote it or what, if anything, the guy did, but I remember there was some intelligent discussion. (This place, I expect no less.) If you can find it, you could at least PM the original poster.

Maryn, knowing this isn't much help

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
??

Freckles said:
Hi, everyone...I'm looking for quotes for a women's Web site article I'm writing on people who've lost their job/not gotten a job they wanted because of info posted on their social-networking profile.

Has this happened to you, or do you know anyone? I'm looking to get in touch with people who this issue affects.

Thanks!

I don't even know what a social networking profile is?

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
Scarlett! I'm shocked! :D

James, a social-networking site is like Myspace, Facebook, etc., where people can make profiles of themselves and connect with others. Sometimes, people aren't too smart and put inappropriate info, like last weekend's pics from a big keg party, that employers can see. This doesn't make you look too good and could cost you getting a job...or even fired from your current one! :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
social

Freckles said:
Scarlett! I'm shocked! :D

James, a social-networking site is like Myspace, Facebook, etc., where people can make profiles of themselves and connect with others. Sometimes, people aren't too smart and put inappropriate info, like last weekend's pics from a big keg party, that employers can see. This doesn't make you look too good and could cost you getting a job...or even fired from your current one! :)

Ah, here I have one and didn't even know it. I do know someone who was fired for material they had up on MySpace.

The nice thing about being self-employed is that no one can fire me.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing a new story about how some colleges check prospects out on line and what they find a factor in not accepting some students.
While it makes sense to check people out before hiring or accepting them, dismissing them for what was posted before they were hired could be problematic.

lilyteague

Registered
Reaction score
My sister had an awful time when she took a new job and hadn't yet given her letter of resignation to her employer. People kept posting congrats to her myspace, and her boss read them. Just an uncomfortable situation. Good thing she had an understanding boss.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
I know someone who lost her job as a video game tester because she mentioned the release date of a new video game in her blog, but she definitely would not talk to you for publication.

Status
Not open for further replies.