Did these screenplays work for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMH

I'm talking about Mulholland Drive (Lynch) and Adaptation (Kaufman). There were parts of both that I absolutely loved, and parts that didn't work for me at all. Just wondering how experienced writers feel about the way the scripts were structured and the various directions the movies took off in.

Any comments would be much appreciated- thanks

Steve

CornellOne

Mulholland Dr. is brilliant IMO, one of the best ever made. I haven't seen Adaptation, but Charlie Kauffman has disappointed me with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

dchapma123

I haven't read either of the scripts, but I really like both of the movies--"Mulholland Drive" especially. I don't really know what was going on, but that doesn't bother me. I don't think most people could get away with that though.

"Adaptation" was a great inside joke for screenwriters.

Ron239

Adapation -- thumbs WAY down!

"Adaptation" was awful. Ridiculous. A writer with talent could in fact have written a compelling screenplay about orchids. How this guy Kaufman gets these crappy scripts produced beats the heck out of me. ("Being John Malkovich" was awful too.)
I felt terrible for Meryl Streep, caught in this piece of junk. Somewhere, I think in one of the screenwriting magazines, she was praising Kaufman's script, saying how wonderful it was. Is anyone tired of actors sucking up to Hollywood morons?
Mulholland Drive I know nothing about.

dchapma123

Re: Adapation -- thumbs WAY down!

Believe me, Meryl Streep doesn't need to suck up to anyone. Certainly not to a screenwriter. You may not agree with her assessment, but I wouldn't doubt that she's sincere in her praise.

I enjoyed "Adaptation", and I loved "Being John Malkovich". And I'm not the only one. So there's a market for that kind of movie. THAT'S how he keeps getting these crappy scripts produced.

I didn't like "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" or "Human Nature", however. So I don't think Kaufman walks on water. But it's refreshing to see an interesting, unique voice finding success in field that rewards conformity.

dpaterso

For what it's worth I enjoyed the Mulholland Drive script, it was a good read with interesting twists and mysteries. By contrast I didn't get much out of the Adaptation script, dull characters wanting unimportant things, I put it down more than once and did something more interesting instead.

-Derek
-----------------------​
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.

coleslaststand

Touche

I enjoyed "Adaptation", and I loved "Being John Malkovich". And I'm not the only one. So there's a market for that kind of movie. THAT'S how he keeps getting these crappy scripts produced.

Tou-@#%$-ché !!

:snoopy

Status
Not open for further replies.