Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Does anyone else imagine how good or bad their work might be as a film? During the walk to work in the mornings, I think of who could play which character, what a director might change etc. I don't write for film at all; it's just fun to imagine.

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Would you believe, I don't?

If I wanted to write movies, I'd do scripts.

seun said:
I don't write for film at all; it's just fun to imagine.

I'm too busy imagining what's going to happen next in the novel, I'm afraid. :)

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes. I think teaching knitting techniques would work better done realtime in video, but it doesn't really matter to me whose hands they shoot doing the demos.

:D

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's not at all unusual for fiction authors to envision their novels as movies, complete with sets, perfect casting, the works. It doesn't mean they should be writing screenplays. More likely, it means they have strong visual skills.

Remember, Anne Rice was fully public about casting the young Rutger Hauer in her erotica. At the time the two had not met. He's just who she envisioned for every strong blond man.

I understand she turned down the opportunity to write screenplays of her novels which have become films, BTW.

Maryn, who never envisions Rutger Hauer in anything

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I have a quirky habit of casting most of my main and supporting characters. It's a holdover from RPGing and writing fanfic, I suppose. I like having the extra visual aide, and it helps breathe extra life into the characters. I wrote one story based on a random "Have X and Y ever made a movie together?"

So yes, I tend to imagine what sort of movies my books would make. And if they ever actually get published/optioned, I've done the casting for them. ;)

Plus it's a gas when I see my "characters" in a new film or guesting on a TV show.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
My main beta cast my theoretical book-turned-movie. Some of her casting choices were odd, but workable. And it gave me a good idea of how she was reading the characters I wrote.

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
K1P1 said:
Sometimes. I think teaching knitting techniques would work better done realtime in video, but it doesn't really matter to me whose hands they shoot doing the demos.

:D

What? No clips of Johnny Depp brooding over a pair of needles?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Heck one of my characters is based on Ewan Mc Greggor! Not the actor, but if the actor were to play the character. If that makes sense. All the other characters are either original or based on friends. I have no idea why this particular one wound up as Ewan in my head (I like him, but I'm not even an obsessive about him like some people I know).

I think as an actor, I can't help but have those thoughts. But I think my book might be slightly too episodic to be a movie. Maybe a mini-series? :)->)

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
I sometimes think about this. But I tend to wonder what I'd do if I was actually lucky enough to have something I'd written turned into a movie. Would I want to get involved in the whole movie making process, or would I just take the money and run? I think I'd go for the second option, as making movies seems like a pretty stressful business (even worse than writing novels).

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
I don't imagine my characters as stars but I've been told my stories would make great movies. I hope to have the opportunity to find out but still, I write books. I'm not going to send copies to directors.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
piscesgirl80 said:
What? No clips of Johnny Depp brooding over a pair of needles?

I think the scissorhands would get in the way, but hey, now I have an idea for a future book on knitting for the differently-abled.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Already picked out the voice cast since part of it would have to be done with computer animated characters:

1886249210.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Patrick Stewart as Griff (the griffin on the cover).

John Goodman as Bear (should be obvious).

Tim Allen as Dorian di Drago (a mural-painting dragon who gave up flying on the same day a famous aviatrix disappeared in 1937).

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Hi,
I am a really big fan of the French actor Jean Reno; both my WIPs are with him in mind as the main star, and he would be doing work that you don't usually see him in. So yes, I definitely see my book as a film in my mind's eye and that's exactly how I write it -- I've even got a soundtrack in my head for it and would love to direct it too!... Why think small if you can think BIG! ;)

Ellie

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I think it’s natural to think about whether your book will be a made for TV movie or make it to the big screen. There is nothing wrong with seeing your dreams fulfilled and stretched out. My brother is trying to get into short films while helping his friend make a few of his own, which one has an actor in it (my sister-in-laws’ cousin). I told my brother that if I publish my book, he can write the screenplay and film it, but that’s only if he reads it.

*I think about who will play my main characters, but don't tell anyone.*

Last edited:

army_grunt13

Veteran Turned Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.legionarybooks.net
Think the first twenty minutes of Gladiator in an entire movie. . .

Mine would basically be the first twenty minutes of "Gladiator" strung out over an entire movie. Of course, I think that intial battle was the best part of the movie. . .

I think my book would be an awesome movie, and not just because I wrote it. Thing is, they have yet to do a decent movie based on ancient wars. Troy and Alexander were both complete abortions, and even Gladiator got some significant things wrong in the initial battle. And as much as I love that movie, it completely re-writes history. Of course, people love "epic" battle sequences, ala "Lord of the Rings" (one set of book-based movies that actually got it right!).

It's funny, because my "cast" is a mix of both Hollywood, and people I know. Certain characters I specifically based on people who inspired them. Some actors would not be able to play certain roles in my books, simply because they are either too old or too young. Here are some of the historical characters in my book (though all the main characters are individual Legionaries that I had to make up), and who I picture in my mind.

Emperor Tiberius Caesar: George Baker, who played him in I, Claudius; or Ian McDiarmid, the Emperor from Star Wars

Germanicus Caesar: Clive Owen, though he is probably too old (Germanicus was about 31 or 32 at the time)

Livia Augusta (widow of Augustus Caesar and mother of Tiberius): Sian Phillips, who played her in I, Claudius

Caecina Severus (Legion Commander, and former mentor of Tiberius): Sean Bean, even though he is too young. To compensate for this, I write that though close to 60, Severus looks much younger, easily passing for being in his 40's (hence how I get away with picturing Sean Bean!)

Pontius Pilate: Ok, I'm clueless on this one. The guy who played him in Passion of Christ was phenominal, but he would be too old. Pilate was probably in his mid-twenties at the time of my book (15 - 17 A.D.), though I did have to guess as to his age, since it's not documented anywhere.

Arminius (Germanic war chief responsible for the Teutoburger Wald disaster, nemesis of Tiberius and Germanicus): A more multi-dimensional Stellan Skasgard, who was the villain in the new King Arthur.

Again, these would all be "supporting cast," since my book centers mostly around the individual Legionaries. Most of them were inspired by guys I served with in Iraq. Of course I picture myself in the staring role as Artorius. I even emphasize over and over again how big and muscular he is (I'm sick of seeing skinny "heroes" on the big screen!). Also, Flavius (the Legion's Master Centurion), though completely different in appearance, came to remind me of my Dad.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
army_grunt13 said:
Mine would basically be the first twenty minutes of "Gladiator" strung out over an entire movie. Of course, I think that intial battle was the best part of the movie. . .

I think my book would be an awesome movie, and not just because I wrote it. Thing is, they have yet to do a decent movie based on ancient wars. Troy and Alexander were both complete abortions, and even Gladiator got some significant things wrong in the initial battle. And as much as I love that movie, it completely re-writes history. Of course, people love "epic" battle sequences, ala "Lord of the Rings" (one set of book-based movies that actually got it right!).

It's funny, because my "cast" is a mix of both Hollywood, and people I know. Certain characters I specifically based on people who inspired them. Some actors would not be able to play certain roles in my books, simply because they are either too old or too young. Here are some of the historical characters in my book (though all the main characters are individual Legionaries that I had to make up), and who I picture in my mind.

Emperor Tiberius Caesar: George Baker, who played him in I, Claudius; or Ian McDiarmid, the Emperor from Star Wars

Germanicus Caesar: Clive Owen, though he is probably too old (Germanicus was about 31 or 32 at the time)

Livia Augusta (widow of Augustus Caesar and mother of Tiberius): Sian Phillips, who played her in I, Claudius

Caecina Severus (Legion Commander, and former mentor of Tiberius): Sean Bean, even though he is too young. To compensate for this, I write that though close to 60, Severus looks much younger, easily passing for being in his 40's (hence how I get away with picturing Sean Bean!)

Pontius Pilate: Ok, I'm clueless on this one. The guy who played him in Passion of Christ was phenominal, but he would be too old. Pilate was probably in his mid-twenties at the time of my book (15 - 17 A.D.), though I did have to guess as to his age, since it's not documented anywhere.

Arminius (Germanic war chief responsible for the Teutoburger Wald disaster, nemesis of Tiberius and Germanicus): A more multi-dimensional Stellan Skasgard, who was the villain in the new King Arthur.

Again, these would all be "supporting cast," since my book centers mostly around the individual Legionaries. Most of them were inspired by guys I served with in Iraq. Of course I picture myself in the staring role as Artorius. I even emphasize over and over again how big and muscular he is (I'm sick of seeing skinny "heroes" on the big screen!). Also, Flavius (the Legion's Master Centurion), though completely different in appearance, came to remind me of my Dad.
I don’t think you really thought this through. :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Glad it's not just me. I walked past a billboard for Eragon this morning and spent the next fifteen minutes coming up with taglines for two of my books.

My girlfriend read one of my Fantasy books and told me she pictured the bad guy as the Kurgan from Highlander. of course now I can't picture him as anyone else.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
seun said:
Does anyone else imagine how good or bad their work might be as a film? During the walk to work in the mornings, I think of who could play which character, what a director might change etc. I don't write for film at all; it's just fun to imagine.

I started actually doing it.... last year I decided to try some screenplays... I turned some of my short stories into short scripts, and now I have seven :D different short films in production with small film-makers .

I've also turned a couple of my novels into scripts and am trying to sell them, and have a contract to write a low budget full length feature ...

Am I having fun? You bet! :hooray:

Willie
http://www.myspace.com/williemeikle

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
williemeikle said:
I started actually doing it.... last year I decided to try some screenplays... I turned some of my short stories into short scripts, and now I have seven :D different short films in production with small film-makers .

I've also turned a couple of my novels into scripts and am trying to sell them, and have a contract to write a low budget full length feature ...

Am I having fun? You bet! :hooray:

Willie
http://www.myspace.com/williemeikle

Cool!

Scarlett_156

asdf
Registered
Reaction score
I have done that with my writing since I was a little kid-- sometimes it makes me cringe and sometimes I will spend literally an hour at a time daydreaming about it.

I also have not quite gotten out of the habit of envisioning myself in a movie; it bestows a glamour even to the most mundane of activities.

Yes, I know it's ill to do that. I don't care. No, YOU'RE the one who's ill! Stop staring at me!

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Every day! I know which production company I want too. I've thought about soundtrack, some of the casting, etc etc. I doubt I'd have much say if it were made into a movie, but I still can't help thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.