Capitalization of non-specific sci-fi names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Woodhouse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.simonwoodhouse.com
Grammar as a whole drives me mad, but at the moment I've got a particular problem with capitalization.

If I'm using a generic term for a species of animal, i.e. something that's the equivalent of a tiger, but it's in a sci-fi setting and so the word is one I've created, 'zlarb' or something like that, should it be capitalized? I've got the same problem with types of trees. When referring to an oak, it's not capitalized (at least that's how I understand it), but does the same rule apply to a made-up tree name? The same thing is happening with a type of aircraft – should wind drifter be capitalized if there are lots of them?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Simon Woodhouse said:
Grammar as a whole drives me mad, but at the moment I've got a particular problem with capitalization.

If I'm using a generic term for a species of animal, i.e. something that's the equivalent of a tiger, but the it's in a sci-fi setting and so the word is one I've created, 'zlarb' or something like that, should it be capitalized? I've got the same problem with types of trees. When referring to an oak, it's not capitalized (at least that's how I understand it), but does the same rule apply to a made-up tree name? The same thing is happening with a type of aircraft – should wind drifter be capitalized if there are lots of them?

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at your question. Did you capitalize 'tiger', 'oak', or 'wind drifter'? Generic names don't get capitals. Now, if your wind drifter is a Zozorbian Tri-Brzyy 240, then I'd capitalize it.

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
If you were talking about an African tiger, then "African" would be up. If you were talking about a Trilerian womperbus, then "Trilerian" would be up. In the examples you gave, everything would be down.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what they said. Three who agree makes it a rule, right?

Maryn, knowing it doesn't

Steve Lenaghan

Packing and moving out, bye!
Registered
Reaction score
kd lang doesn't capatalize. If the culture you are writing about capatilzes go with their rules. In my novel there is a star ship the jW-arliez. Thats the way they spell it on Tarine-3. Who am I to argue with a 6000 year old society.

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good questions. I think the answer to your quesition is in your post. In my wip, I didn't capitalize the words for made up things, becuase the same rules apply, even thought the things don't really exist. (or do they?) (Kidding.)
FOr example:

My world is called Orina, but the inhabitants of the world are orins, like we are people, not Orins.

Their riding animal (a big land bound bird) is called an okys, not Okys. Just like our riding animals are horses, not Horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.