John Bolton Out - Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,234145,00.html

WASHINGTON*—* U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton has abandoned his quest to remain at the world body next year, sending formal notice to the White House that he will leave when his temporary appointment expires in the coming weeks.

It is with deep regret that I accept John Bolton's decision to end his service in the administration as Permanent Representative of the United States to the United Nations when his commission expires," Bush said in a statement. White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said Bush reluctantly accepted Bolton's decision to leave.

"I am deeply disappointed that a handful of United States senators prevented Ambassador Bolton from receiving the up or down vote he deserved in the Senate. They chose to obstruct his confirmation, even though he enjoys majority support in the Senate, and even though their tactics will disrupt our diplomatic work at a sensitive and important time. This stubborn obstructionism ill serves our country, and discourages men and women of talent from serving their nation," the president said.

I don't know why the guy can't get a normal confirmation hearing. Yes, W, it is obstructionism.

Just a shame.

When he was first nominated, I didn't like him, but he's done a great job IMO. I always suspected and now confirmation that I'm much like George Voinovich.

Bolton supporters, even some late to the game, also expressed disappointment. Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had objected to Bolton when he was up for consideration in the Senate panel. But after Bolton served for a year in the recess appointment, Voinovich said he was impressed by how effective Bolton had been.

"I am very disappointed that John Bolton will not continue in his role as ambassador to the United Nations," Voinovich said Monday. "Given the fragile nature of the world situation, and the critical task of reforming the U.N., he should have been given an up-or-down vote on the Senate floor. "I'm extremely concerned with him leaving since he's been so deeply involved with the situations in Iran, Syria, Lebanon and North Korea and has been working in concert with fellow ambassadors toward true U.N. reform."

The guy did a great job on many fronts.

He was tough.

And he was effective.

Oh well.

:Shrug:

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
billythrilly7th said:
I don't know why the guy can't get a normal confirmation hearing. Yes, W, it is obstructionism.

Just a shame.

The guy did a great job on many fronts.

He shouldn't have been picked in the first place, Billy. On more than one occasion he made his rabid (that's right, I used it) anti-UN opinion known to any and all that would listen to him. Does he have the right to that opinion? Of course. Is that the kind of opinion you want in an ambassador? Oh, hell no.

As far as him doing a great job? Show me. And not just some flowerdy quote from a Republican.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
rumor is george mitchell may be the new ambassador. wouldn't be a bad move, in my opinion.

Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
As far as him doing a great job? Show me.

Effective? How?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/04/AR2006120400438.html

6 Powers Near Iran Resolution Agreement

The Associated Press
Monday, December 4, 2006; 11:26 AM

PARIS -- The six powers seeking a U.N. resolution on Iran's nuclear program are nearing agreement on a text, French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said Monday.

High-ranking diplomats from the U.N. Security Council's five permanent members plus Germany will meet Tuesday in Paris to discuss measures to punish Iran for failing to halt the enrichment of uranium.

Douste-Blazy said he discussed the Iranian situation with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

"We are in agreement with Russia to adopt sanctions against Iran's proliferation program," Douste-Blazy said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15246082/

Updated: 5:43 p.m. MT Oct 14, 2006

UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously on Saturday to impose punishing sanctions on North Korea including ship searches for banned weapons, calling Pyongyang's claimed nuclear test "a clear threat to international peace and security."

North Korea immediately rejected the resolution, and its U.N. ambassador walked out of the council chamber after accusing its members of a "gangster-like" action which neglects the nuclear threat posed by the United States.

The U.S.-sponsored resolution demands that the reclusive communist nation abandon its nuclear weapons program, and orders all countries to prevent North Korea from importing or exporting any material for weapons of mass destruction or ballistic missiles. It orders nations to freeze assets of people or businesses connected to these programs, and ban the individuals from traveling.

The resolution also calls on all countries to inspect cargo leaving and arriving in North Korea to prevent any illegal trafficking in unconventional weapons or ballistic missiles. The final draft was softened from language saying the council "decides" — which is a stronger authorization.

‘One of the gravest threats’
U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said North Korea's proclaimed test "poses one of the gravest threats to international peace and security that this council has ever had to confront."

"Today, we are sending a strong and clear message to North Korea and other would be proliferators that there will be serious repercussions in continuing to pursue weapons of mass destruction," he said, in what appeared to be a clear warning to Iran whose nuclear ambitions come before the Security Council again next week.

http://washingtontimes.com/commentary/20061202-102113-9254r.htm

Mr. Bolton and France's ambassador led the Security Council to approve a unanimous resolution to end last summer's Hezbollah war on Israel. While America should have encouraged Israel to eradicate Hezbollah once and for all, Mr. Bolton successfully executed his orders to stop the combat and authorize U.N. peacekeepers.
He assembled an international coalition that blocked the bid of Hugo Chavez, Venezuela's Marxist strongman, to join the Security Council. This anti-authoritarian alliance survived 47 ballots. An eventual compromise helped moderate, pro-American Panama fill that spot.
Mr. Bolton arranged the Security Council's first deliberations on Burma's human-rights abuses. "The time has come for the suffering of the Burmese people to end and for democratic change to begin," Mr. Bolton said Sept. 29.
Mr. Bolton properly belittled the new Human Rights Council, a forum where Cuba and Zimbabwe lecture civilized nations on how to treat their citizens. He compared this unit's creation to "putting lipstick on a caterpillar and calling it a butterfly."
Mr. Bolton invited actor George Clooney and Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel to brief the Security Council last September on Arab mass-murder of non-Arabs in Darfur, Sudan. "Every day we delay only adds to the suffering of the Sudanese people and extends the genocide," Mr. Bolton said. He engineered the Security Council's approval of 22,500 U.N. peacekeepers in Darfur. Mr. Bolton continues to pressure Sudan's government to accept these personnel atop the 7,000 African Union soldiers already on site.
Mr. Bolton persuaded the Security Council to pass a resolution denouncing Iran's uranium enrichment program and demanding that Tehran halt its atomic hanky-panky.
Mr. Bolton, with the help of China's and Japan's ambassadors, negotiated unanimously adopted Security Council resolutions condemning North Korea's July 4 missile test and penalizing its Columbus Day A-bomb blast.

Mr. Bolton has won plaudits from his peers.
"I enjoy working with him," Chinese Ambassador Wang Guangya told reporters Nov. 14. "Professionally, he's capable. He's effective," Mr. Wang added.
"He is having a definite impact," Romanian Ambassador Mihnea Motoc told the Los Angeles Times' Maggie Farley. "Others wish they could do things the same way."
"He has an agenda, and he's pursuing it with a conviction that is uncommon here," said Algerian Ambassador Abdallah Baali.

Thank you.

Reaction score
badducky said:
I think we should nominate Alec Baldwin. Someday, the world will listen to actors. We need to get ourselves some damn good actors...

No no. I need Alec on 30 Rock, my new favorite show, on which he is brilliant.

Reaction score
Bird of Prey said:
Well, Billy, you have a few points, not real strong ones but I'll give em to you.

"Not real strong ones."

:rolleyes:

One of the most amazing things about messageboarding is that even when you rebuttal strongly, clearly and comprehensively, that many people just can't say "Alright...maybe I'm wrong."

It's an amazing phenomenon.

With that said, you, BoP, at least have the ability to say "i'll give them to you" no matter how reluctant you may be.

Kudos.
:)

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Bird of Prey said:
He's a Mainiac. Great choice. He's had plenty of exposure to Canadians.

In all seriousness, I'd rather see Powell there. I think the world realizes he played a reluctant role in Iraq.

"He's a maniac, MANIAC on the floor...
and he's diplomatting like he's never done before!"

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
robeiae said:
He can't even work a copy/fax machine.

AMBASSADOR TO INDIA
Why does it say QUAGMIRE when there IS NO QUAGMIRE!? I swear to God, one of these days... I just kick this piece of shit out the window.

AMBASSADOR TO US
You and me both, man. This thing's lucky I don't have an unallocated Army Group.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Reaction score
badducky said:
Also, and seriously, when someone gains plaudits from China, Algeria, and Romania, I don't want them anywhere near power.

If these are his supporters, I don't want him.

Why do you hate diplomacy, ducky?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
James D. Macdonald said:
Yes, it's sad that Bolton is out. It's a pity that he's resigning rather than being put on trial for treason.

few things please me more than drive-by hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.