PDA

View Full Version : Pause or 'Pause'

Prawn
12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
He reached over and pressed Pause on the VCR.
or
He reached over and pressed 'Pause' on the VCR.

scarletpeaches
12-04-2006, 07:50 PM
He pressed the pause button?

Duncan J Macdonald
12-04-2006, 08:48 PM
He reached over and paused the playback/recording. (Depending on what the VCR is currently doing)

Maryn
12-05-2006, 02:41 AM
I suspect there's not one-and-only-one correct way to indicate labels like PAUSE. (There's another option!)

My eye likes the italicized one, but the other isn't wrong per se. Pick what you like best, use it consistently, and move on. If your publisher has a house style, they'll change it to conform.

Maryn, practical

Jamesaritchie
12-05-2006, 03:04 AM
or

He reached over and pressed pause on the VCR."

Or, He reached over and pressed the pause button on the VCR.

Or, He paused the VCR.

VCRs and pause buttons are ubiquitous now, and have been for a long time. Pretty much everyone out there will know exactly what you mean, so there's no need to single out the word "pause."

Becky Writes
12-05-2006, 06:23 AM
I suspect there's not one-and-only-one correct way to indicate labels like PAUSE. (There's another option!)

For some reason, I like the all caps.

veronie
12-05-2006, 06:37 AM
For some reason, I like the all caps.

For a non-fiction book on setting the VCR clock, maybe. For a fiction work? yeck.

I vote for Jamesaritchie.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-05-2006, 06:56 AM
or

I'm not sure which one is correct, but I would probably do 'Pause'.

I generally use italics (or in the case of my typewritten works, underscoring) for thoughts or emphasis. So personally, in this case I would put the single quotes around the word.

That might just be me, though. Again, I do not know if I am correct in doing this or not.