Post NaNo Word Count

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Few novels end at 50k words. Most of them need more.

I'm curious to know who's still working on their novel. Maybe not at the breakneck pace that NaNo required, but still writing. Who used NaNo as a jumping off point, and is still working on the manuscript? How far have you gotten?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's at 60,856 currently. But I'm still editing, & have yet to remove major sections. More addition so far.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
50,400 so far and I still have about 5-10 to go, got the big finale finally worked out. The I hav to go back and add in a bunch of stuff that I realize I left out.

Funny, but after Nano I have absolutely zero urge to pick it up and finish it, I keep inventing excuses to work on it.. Guess the drive and enthusiasm will come back.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't written anything since last Wednesday. Right now I'm torn between continuing my NaNo story and going back to the novel I've been trying to finish by the end of the year. I want to finish both, but it probably makes more sense to go back to the novel I've been working on all year since it's earlier in the timeline.

larrypotter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markaiken.com
The post-Nano syndrome is interesting, isn't it. The first time I participated, I started revising and re-working my novel the day after I finished it. I think it was because that was my favorite one. This one is incomplete, so it's not ready for revision. I guess I'm not motivated this second to write 30K more words...

So my plan is to go back and finish that first one. Really get it polished. Then I can re-tackle this year's.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to finish this one in december. I've joined Smiley10000's post Nano word count thread in the round table forum and I've pledged to add 10K a week. Then I'll go back and edit my pre-NaNo work.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used Nano to crap out the basics, and now I'm starting from page 1 with my internal editor turned ON - so I can use what I wrote. So far I'm 6k into it with the editor plugging away.

He's really pissed, too :D

*wonders why her internal editor would be a 'he'*

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
*wonders why her internal editor would be a 'he'*

Hey, my muse is a werewolf, so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

At the moment I think he's off chasing rabbits or something. I haven't felt like writing anything since last week, though that's not too unusual for me. Sometimes after pushing myself creatively I need to take a break before diving back in. At least I've been coming up with ideas for how to write the next scene in the novel I've been working on all year.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
Hey, my muse is a werewolf, so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Good, 'cause he's REALLY good looking ! I keep him around as my editor because, even when he's telling me I've written crap - he's so cute about it, I can forgive him anything.

I should name him some day. Right now I call him Jimmy.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Current word count for today is in my sig line. Right now, I am getting through the midbook hell and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (or that could be a train, not sure).

My goal is to finish this "thing" by the end of December or January at the latest. So far, I've kept up my production because:

A - I like the characters and want to see where they end up
B - I said I would write 1K/day or 7K/week, so I have to keep that up
C - I knew that if I took a day off, that would be the excuse I needed to loaf
D - All of the above

Now to see how this all works out tomorrow after I go back to work after being on vacation...

Karen

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Good, 'cause he's REALLY good looking ! I keep him around as my editor because, even when he's telling me I've written crap - he's so cute about it, I can forgive him anything.

I should name him some day. Right now I call him Jimmy.
My muse is actually named after a muse. But she's basically a 200-year-old child, which may explain some things about my writing.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Still working on mine but it's teeny bits at a time. I'd like to finish the 1st draft with my IE stilll locked up because I really enjoyed the surprise of where the story went. 'Course I have to make it thru finals (this weekend!) then I'm done with the distraction of school and get more time to spend on my manuscript --that's the plan, anyway....;)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Sage said:
My muse is actually named after a muse. But she's basically a 200-year-old child, which may explain some things about my writing.

My muse is an elf named after a Greek goddess, and she carries a bow and a spear and knows how to use them, which is maybe why I wrote 13k last week...

Current word count is about 38,500. Right now, I've got a spear pointed at my heart, so I think I'd better get off AW and into my NaNo document... :tongue

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Go for it, Yeshanu! 38,500? You're getting within striking distance now. Ah, of 50,000 words, that is, not the spear and your heart. ;)

Good luck to you and to everyone else on their projects! I've decided to go back to my fantasy novel WIP. Because of the time spent on NaNo, I'm resetting my finish line to try to hit "THE END" by the end of February. At the moment I've got four beginnings of novels; I just want to get to the end of SOMETHING.

akelsey333

Peace...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still working on mine, but haven't added much to the wordcount. I'm relaxing by doing research and creating back stories--and secret societies :D

I've decided to attend a conference in July to pitch my story, so now I have a firm deadline. Hopefully it'll encourage me instead of terrify me ;)

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Finally wrote something last night which should get me back to my original project, and learned a valuable lesson. I was playing with clay (lots of presents to make), and the MC of my other project suddenly spoke up. She's a sculptress, too. So that was a useful lesson to me. Sometimes one art can translate into another.

Gray

Registered
Reaction score
60,000 just hit the mark last night. still seems like I have so far to go, what up with that yo? How many word is the average novel?

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Gray! Congrats on 60K!

I think the Writing Novels forum has the threads with the usual word counts for types of fiction. From what I remember, for a novel it's between 80K - 100K. Note that's for a published work which has gone through a revision process, not a first draft.

For me, I write wordy first drafts. My NaNo novel is about 50K right now, but I think I'm only halfway through the story. I expect during revision I'll be doing a lot of surgery on it.

kjh7073

I Need a Clever Title :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kjhamilton.net
I'm still working on mine....but the pace is a LOT slower than it was for NaNo. I'm nearly finished with it...and then I have a LOT of revision and editing to do.
Woo hoo! lol

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
I'm aiming for 80K, but who really knows where I will end up?

Haven't written yet today (trying to decompress from the work week here) and I'm hungry, so the writing may come around midnight tonight. Who needs sleep anyways? It's so overrated...

Karen

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
I have opened the file a little. Did a little editing. My heart just isn't in it. I know where I need to get to and I know where I am but there is this grand canyon sized hole infront of me :scared:.
I think I may just leave the hole and write the ending. The work needs A LOT of editing (toss pages in the air and put them back together in an entirely different order type of editing) If I can say it's (sort of) done. I can get started on that.

Then I put it away and wait for it to ferment...
My other WIP is calling my name too...
:poke:10000

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting at +/- 50750.

I've heard back from... *counts* Three of my beta readers. Waiting on the 'editors', which is gonig to take longer because I requested No Mercy.

I've done some work on it, including marking scenes for deletion and playing with plot. I get a month of break starting the 15th, so I'm going to really turn on my IE then. I'm actually really excited about it.

Current projects:
"Daggers and Shadows" - short story being written as a Christmas gift for The Girl.
"Meetings on Trains" - short story about Kat & Desi, which is an exercise in capturing character.
"that damn centaur story" - short story. basically smut. but fun. belongs to The Girl, but I promised to help her finish it.
"Dream Shoals" - short story/one shot/flash fiction. it's a fanfiction, to my shame, but useful for reducing exam stress.
various poetry.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written a grand total of 5K since NaNo. Life sort of exploded around me. It hasn't been fun. I'm looking forward to things settling down. Please God. Let my life return to normal.