Stuck in a Submarine with Eight Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
The characters' world is an adventure, but it's like a submarine journey. Surfacing, I wonder where the hell I am. Anyone suggest tips on the reconnection process?

Personally at first I do a lot of listening--but I struck out this time, here, and made a total b*ll*cks of it. So listening is good. I have a terrific wife and family, that helps. Bristles on my face, that helps. Yep, I'm a man, I remind myself and that helps.

I guess no one gets totally lost in characters or their world, but I think personality is made up of many small marker points. Getting out of character and into one's own personality again is a matter of remembering all the markers.

I hope there's a few stories out there about escaping unique voice.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
In other words, I believe we all get caught up in our own li'l worlds. We've created them. They're our children. It's a GOOD thing to get so tied up in them we forget the rest of the universe exists at times.

The key being 'at times'. Fortunately, Ol' Boy understands.

I don't know if I've helped you any... in fact, I doubt I have. At least you know you're not alone. :)

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Ol' Fashioned Girl said:
In other words, I believe we all get caught up in our own li'l worlds. We've created them. They're our children. It's a GOOD thing to get so tied up in them we forget the rest of the universe exists at times.
The key being 'at times'. Fortunately, Ol' Boy understands.
I don't know if I've helped you any... in fact, I doubt I have. At least you know you're not alone. :)

Not alone has to be 100%, even though my ol' girl is a pillar of hugs, smiles and cups of tea (this is England :), the more periscopes the better.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I get so tied up in the worlds I create that I forget about the real world sometimes until it rudely intrudes.

Or softly intrudes with a cup of tea!

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
SLake said:
Anyone suggest tips on the reconnection process?

Reconnection? That impies that there was a connection to begin with. :tongue
The reason I write is because I've never had a connection to the real world. I'm a total space cadet.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Yeah, I live in my worlds all the time. Frankly, I credit writing with keeping me (semi) sane.

There are plenty of times I forget that I can't actually do magic and the animals are not truly speaking to me. Or that I'm not wearing six-guns and able to just shoot that <expletive deleted> in the head and ride off.

*sigh*

I love writing. Thank goodness we have it.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I exist solely in the real world. Mostly, though, my head is somewhere else. I'm always working, and my wife is very patient about this. She'll have half a conversatin with me, and I'll reply......about the wrong thing.

I don't do this too often, though. Or, I try not to.

The odds of me making a cup of tea and then remembering it long enough to drink it, however, are astronomical.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
For the record, I thought this post was going to ask me what eight women I wanted to be stuck in a submarine with. I had a list all ready to go, too.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
For the record, I thought this post was going to ask me what eight women I wanted to be stuck in a submarine with. I had a list all ready to go, too.

Hahahaha, which 8?--first to digress: When I'm writing, I reply to a question, but find the room empty, my tea cold. In panic I rush to find my family to learn their reaction to me, and to apologize to them!

The freaky part about my 8 is I have memories of places they've known and the memories are like my own. I can look around corners and know what else is there. I know the textures of the places, the feelings, the scents.

C'est la vie--be careful of what you want! Being here or there isn't my problem, it's returning and going.

Ah, but the choice of 8 women in a sub, hehe. Mine are the sub.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
One that's trying to stone me, two who want to own me and one says she's

Stuck in a sub with eight women and you don't want to get out? You have gone round the bend, time to seek professional help.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Kentuk said:
One that's trying to stone me, two who want to own me and one says she's

Stuck in a sub with eight women and you don't want to get out? You have gone round the bend, time to seek professional help.

Do I make it that obvious? Hehe. And you're being humble here, only mentioning 4. Exit strategy is my problem, but my name isn't George.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
SLake said:
The characters' world is an adventure, but it's like a submarine journey. Surfacing, I wonder where the hell I am. Anyone suggest tips on the reconnection process?

Personally at first I do a lot of listening--but I struck out this time, here, and made a total b*ll*cks of it. So listening is good. I have a terrific wife and family, that helps. Bristles on my face, that helps. Yep, I'm a man, I remind myself and that helps.

I guess no one gets totally lost in characters or their world, but I think personality is made up of many small marker points. Getting out of character and into one's own personality again is a matter of remembering all the markers.

I hope there's a few stories out there about escaping unique voice.

Hmmm.

I don't know as I've ever gotten that into my worlds, although I do have a slight idea where you might be coming from.

Basically, I keep some records going or maybe some coffee in the coffeepot. That kind of wakes me up to the fact I am writing a story, and not living it.

Then of course, the telephone has a tendency of ringing at the most inopportune times. That always gets me to wishing I didn't have one.

I think what basically reminds me that I am a real human being and not a character in a book, though, is that I have neighbors who talk outside my door all the time. It gets highly annoying, and sometimes I wish I could retreat to my world entirely and forget that there is a real world to deal with around me.

Oh well. At least I know I might someday 'make it' and get out of this building. I look forward to that day...

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
PeeDee said:

I thought that's what it was originally, too.

Maybe you should start this one over on the Humor forum? We're always up for a good list!

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I write to make the world I want, or to understand the one I'm in, or both. I wouldn't want to be stuck on a submarine with 8 women, please no! It would be freezing because they'd all be having hot flashes and I'm not near menopause and I'm always cold ... wait, that's my day job, I'm already there.

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Ian D. Mecantie said:
Hmmm.
I don't know as I've ever gotten that into my worlds, although I do have a slight idea where you might be coming from.

Basically, I keep some records going or maybe some coffee in the coffeepot. That kind of wakes me up to the fact I am writing a story, and not living it.

Then of course, the telephone has a tendency of ringing at the most inopportune times. That always gets me to wishing I didn't have one.
I think what basically reminds me that I am a real human being and not a character in a book, though, is that I have neighbors who talk outside my door all the time. It gets highly annoying, and sometimes I wish I could retreat to my world entirely and forget that there is a real world to deal with around me.

Oh well. At least I know I might someday 'make it' and get out of this building. I look forward to that day...

I'm lucky enough to have people who deal with the real world for me. Oh jeez, I know how that sounds!

On the subject of sanity, as I was relaxing in bed, deciding whether or not to get up a Spanish character of mine said to me in Spanish: "get up you lazy dog" (or something like that. I translated it thru an online site).

Escaping my characters, as I said, and finding myself again is my main objective. Seems everyone in this thread has had similar experiences, greater or lesser.

As you say, Ian, it's difficult getting the ideal vision of elsewhere when you're distracted. It's like trying to take off with strap on wings--seems impossible. Then when you're flying you look down and freak out, because no, it isn't impossible.

Removing the darned wings becomes difficult, but putting them on again to return is also difficult because it means losing oneself again. Well, so much for the submarine analogy, but I guess both analogies mean elsewhere.

(8 men then, Cynthia?)

Status
Not open for further replies.