PDA

View Full Version : Is there any good erotic fantasy?

WildScribe
12-04-2006, 04:12 AM
I read the first series by Jackueline Carey and LOVED it (the Kushiel series). I've been looking for something similar for ages, but haven't really found any. (Aside from the multitude of vampire novels... please don't recomment Hamilton or Harrison for this one.)

I'd love to write something like that if there was a market, but since I can't find the books to read, then perhaps the market is nill?

Jongfan
12-04-2006, 05:04 AM
Or perhaps the market is waiting for you to write it. If you enjoyed it, why not write it?

I find Cecilia Tan and Susan Wright have similar styles you may enjoy.

JBI
12-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Try Anne Rice. By her, try The Vampire Chronicles, starting with Interview With the Vampire

Akuma
12-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Definitley Anne Rice.

She's a great writer, just a bit too kinky for my tastes.

JDCrayne
12-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Try Anne Rice. By her, try The Vampire Chronicles, starting with Interview With the Vampire

She also wrote an erotica trilogy under the pen name A.N. Roquelaure. Most of the erotica in her vampire novels is homosexual. Very well done.

WildScribe
12-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Again, I was specifically looking for non-vampire. Thanks, though.

UrsulaV
12-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Anne Bishop is the only thing I can think of offhand, and that's a recommendation I can only give with a lot of mental hedging.

And yeah, I hear ya on the vampires.

JanDarby
12-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Check out the epublishers. A LOT of the epubbed erotic romance books are in the sf/f subgenre.

Or take a look at Red Sage (google Red Sage Publishing). Some of the stories in the anthologies are sf/f. I'm the absolute worst with names, but Leigh something. Wynfield? Starts with a W, anyway. I think. She writes sf/f.

Anyway, if you go to Veinglory's site (which is more addressed to writers than readers, but it has a list and links to the erotica publishers), you could find the publishers easily. Or go to the erotica readers and writers site (google "erotica," and it'll be one of the first hits) and then go to writers' resources, which has links to many epubs in the genre, and then the epubs themselves usually break down their offerings by subgenre. Fictionwise.com also has a breakdown by subgenre, I believe.

JD

sunandshadow
12-05-2006, 05:09 AM
J.G. Ballard's _The Unlimited Dream Company_ is an excellent surreal erotic fantasy, if you're okay with weird and somewhat violent stuff.

MattW
12-05-2006, 07:12 AM
There's another author like Jacqueline Carey that was always recommended to me as as "Kushiel is ok, but ______ is way over the line." What the line was I don't know, also don't remember who the author was.

JBI
12-05-2006, 08:03 AM
The one that Rice wrote under a pen name is a modern adaptation of Sleeping beauty, starting with Beauty's Release I believe.

Shadow_Ferret
12-05-2006, 08:19 AM
What's wrong with Hamilton? She also writes erotic fantasy in her series about a fairy princess, Merry Gentry. Start with Kiss of Shadows. Very explicit.

Popeyesays
12-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Norman Spinrad could handle a hot scene as well: Bug Jack Baron was highly explicit and bisexually explicit as well.

Regards,
Scott

Pthom
12-05-2006, 09:54 AM
On Thursday, December 14, this forum holds its official live chat. I propose we discuss erotica in SF and Fantasy, then. Thoughts?

ChaosTitan
12-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I'm there.

Should we bring visual aides? :e2brows:

Kidding. I think it's a valuable and timely topic, especially with the rise of paranormal romance. We live in a society that had fewer and fewer social taboos placed on sex, and it will be interesting to discuss that in both old and new SF/F texts.

Akuma
12-06-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm still waiting for a lewd comment about wands...

Linda Adams
12-06-2006, 07:17 AM
Have a look at Romantic Times. They have a section covering erotica, and there's always a lot of fantasy for that reviewed. You should be able to find some interesting titles off that.

JDCrayne
12-06-2006, 07:44 AM
The one that Rice wrote under a pen name is a modern adaptation of Sleeping beauty, starting with Beauty's Release I believe.

Yes, and I seem to remember that it's a trilogy. I bought the set for my husband some years ago, but never got around to reading it myself. At least Rice is a decent wordsmith. Some of the other fantasy erotic around is pretty lousy.

JDCrayne
12-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Norman Spinrad could handle a hot scene as well: Bug Jack Baron was highly explicit and bisexually explicit as well.

Yes! I can endorse that. I enjoyed Bug Jack Baron a lot and recommend it to anyone interested in that kind of erotica.

JDCrayne
12-06-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm still waiting for a lewd comment about wands...

I don't know about the wands, but according to Pratchett, a wizard's staff has a knob on the end.