OK, I'll admit it. I love Christmas music!

Status
Not open for further replies.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Have to admit it, I love Christmas music. A week before Thanksgiving, one Cincinnati station switched to all Christmas music, then another followed suit a day before Thanksgiving.

I started listening immediately--in November!

I listen to a Walkman at work (or my iPod, whichever strikes my mood). And I've been alternating between the two Christmas stations all day long while I work.

But I'm this way every year. Dish Network has a Christmas music station which we listen to annually in the house. Plus we have our Christmas CDs. Jewel has a holiday CD that came out a few years ago that I think is her best CD.

I see it as a treat we only get one month a year and we may as well enjoy it while it's here.

Am I weird? Is there anyone else who feels this way?

allen

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[shameless plug]
Hey, enter the poetry contest (see below) and win some 'ethnic' Christmas music!
[/shameless plug]

Went to a Carols party at my daughter's day care centre yesterday. Loved it. Grilled sausages, jumping castles, face painting, and Christmas carols. Yeah. I sang.

I got out the first CD a few days ago -- it's 'Celtic' renditions of various carols; beautiful music anyway.

Another favorite, which I gave to my parents but don't have myself, is Leon Redbone's Christmas Island.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I wonder if that Celtic one is the one I have. It's A Celtic Christmas, by Eden's Bridge (yes, I'm very very white; so shoot me). The whole thing, beginning to end, is one of the lovliest things I've ever heard.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like it too! My favorite is a bluesy jazzy A Creole Christmas that I've had forever... The Celtic Christmas would be one I'd like as well...

kimmi

tourdeforce

Banned
Reaction score
Hard to imagine a better Christmas song than Bruce Springsteen's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I love Christmas music. I used to have a terrific stereo/cd player at work and I gave one of my other radio/cd players to my older son. He works out in the warehouse. Well, his batteries died and he keeps forgetting to buy new ones so I finally gave in and let him take MY stereo out to the warehouse. Now all I can listen to is the one crappy station that comes through one of the phone features.

They play Christmas music all day, but I hate it. It's like they go out of their way to find the worst renditions of every Christmas song. No Nat King Cole. No Bing Crosby. It's all newer crap. I think I am going to send the son-type-person out to buy batteries today. I want my stereo back.

ETA: I don't mean to offend with the newer crap comment :D I like some newer Christmas songs. What I'm talking about is the inevitable Christmas album that every new little pop princess has to put out. That kind of crap.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
KimJo said:
I like more modern Christmas songs; the traditional carols are nice, but I've heard them too many times.

How can one listen to Christmas songs too many times? I don't even know how you can put those words together in the same sentence.

My favorite Christmas albums are pretty much anything performed by Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra.

Although I do like leon Redbone and Berl Ives.

And there's a version of the Little Drummer Boy performed by a chorus where the men to do the bum bumpabumpa part that I think is pretty cool.

And a friend of my years ago had a steel drum Christmas album that he purchased overseas that I've never been able to find. It was the coolest sounding music, just steel drums doing all the classics.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allen, I'm afraid you have a problem.

Fortunately, there's CCA--Christmas Carols Anonymous.

You just walk up to the podium, look out at all the other members, dressed in Santa hats, mittens and winter coats and say: "My name is Allen. And I'm a carol-aholic."

Good luck. You'll find support there. :)

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I love it as well.
(I do grumble when it's played to early in stores, because I work retail, and unfortunately the same songs are repeated and get old, no matter how lovely.)
My cd's are pretty traditional though, you guys have convinced me I need to go shopping...

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
underthecity said:
Have to admit it, I love Christmas music...
I started listening immediately--in November!
allen

I started putting on my own winter/holiday music before Halloween! ;)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
stormie said:
I listen to .. all year long. (Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas music.)
Ohh,I like them! I almost go see them every year.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i like "oh holy night"

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I canot stand Christmas music. I prefer to play classic rock during the holidays, for family tradition. We'd always have classic rock playing on the radio when we did our holiday things, so I keep to it (Bye, bye, miss American pie, drove my chevy to the levee but- hand me that bulb)

Spirit_Fire

Slow-burning Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I also really hate christmas music - it's the worst thing about christmas.

I have to listen to christmas carols all day, at work. Silent night is so boring it makes me want to quit. And there's one tune played on violin (I don't know what it's called) and it's the most annoying thing ever.

edit: I just remembered what it's called: something like We Three Kings, I dunno, the one about the three kings of orient.

:rant:

Reaction score
There's nothing better than Christmas music.

My ITunes has a constant stream of it.

I love'em all.

Especially one about some kid and shoes or something that he needs or is missing and then maybe Jesus shows up or something or Jesus gives his shoes or maybe it's Jesus who was the kid and he needed shoes? A kid needs shoes for himsef or someone. I can't remember. Haven't heard it in awhile.

Last edited:

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Spirit_Fire said:
Sorry guys, but I also really hate christmas music - it's the worst thing about christmas.

I have to listen to christmas carols all day, at work. Silent night is so boring it makes me want to quit. And there's one tune played on violin (I don't know what it's called) and it's the most annoying thing ever.

:rant:

Some of the carols have acceptable music, but the lyrics usually ruin it. Christmas songs are strings of cheesy lyrics that are then tied to cheesy symbolic meaning. The whole thing makes me want to vomit. I can handle to holiday cheer coming from the masses and bright colors and metallic sheen of the season, but the minute I hear a song, all hell breaks loose.

On the other hand the Doobie Brothers are excellent for December months.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
I love Christmas music. I listen to the albums , yes I said albums, from when I was a kid; Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Christmas in the Stars (I am dork), Roger Whittaker, Percy Faith, The Drummer Boy, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, Luciano Pavarotti (O Holy Night), etc. These albums carry many memories.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
There's nothing better than Christmas music.

My ITunes has a constant stream of it.

I love'em all.

Especially one about some kid and shoes or something that he needs or is missing and then maybe Jesus shows up or something or Jesus gives his shoes or maybe it's Jesus who was the kid and he needed shoes? A kid needs shoes for himsef or someone. I can't remember. Haven't heard it in awhile.

Is this it?
http://www.minibite.com/christmas/christmas/shoes.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.