Writer's guild question

Kultman

I live in New York and would appearently be a member of the WGA east if I ever joined. Would this limit the projects I could do on the west coast?

NikeeGoddess

not at all
in fact wga east has a better value - registration for 10 years as apposed to 5 if you go west

write on!

mammamaia

of course, as wga is a union, you can only join after you've become a published or produced writer... membership requisites are posted on the sites...

till then, you can still register your work with either one... regardless of where they live, most professional screenwriters register their scripts with wgaw, even if the terms aren't as attractive...

wgae has staff that's up on and deals more with writers for stage and print venues... wgaw, with film and tv... it's mainly due to nyc being the mecca for publishing and theater, LA for tv and movies...

NikeeGoddess

actually the wga west is for writers west of the mississippi and wga east is for writers east of the mississippi
the type of material that they write is incidental. if you live in nyc then you should register with the wga east.

toto1958

Requirements for Admission
to the WGA, west, Inc.

An aggregate of twenty-four (24) units of Credit as set forth on the Schedule of Units of Credit, which units are based upon work completed under contract of employment or upon the sale or licensing of previously unpublished and unproduced literary or dramatic material is required. Said employment, sale or licensing must be with a company or other entity that is signatory to the applicable WGA Collective Bargaining Agreement and must be within the jurisdiction of the Guild as provided in its collective bargaining contracts. The twenty-four (24) units must be accumulated within the preceding three (3) years of application. Upon final qualification for membership, a cashier's check or money order, payable to the Writers Guild of America, west, Inc. in the amount of Two Thousand Five Hundred Dollars ($2,500) is due. Writers residing West of the Mississippi River may apply for membership in the WGA, west, Inc. Writers residing East of the Mississippi River are advised to contact: Writers Guild of America, East, 555 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10019.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCHEDULE OF UNITS OF CREDIT
Two Units

For each complete week of employment within the Guild's jurisdiction on a week-to-week basis.

Three Units

Story for a radio or television program less than thirty (30) minutes shall be prorated in increments of ten (10) minutes or less.

Four Units

Story for a short subject theatrical motion picture of any length or for a radio program or television program or breakdown for a non-prime time serial thirty (30) minutes through sixty (60) minutes.

Six Units

Teleplay or radio play less than thirty (30) minutes shall be prorated in five (5) minute increments;

Television format for a new serial or series;

"Created By" credit given pursuant to the separation of rights provisions of the WGA Theatrical and Television Basic Agreement in addition to other units accrued for the literary material on which the "Created By" credit is based.

Eight Units

Story for a radio or television program or breakdown for a non-prime time serial more than sixty (60) minutes and less than ninety (90) minutes;

Screenplay for a short subject theatrical motion picture or for a radio play or teleplay thirty (30) minutes through sixty (60) minutes.

Twelve Units

Story for a radio or television program ninety (90) minutes or longer or story for a feature length theatrical motion picture; or breakdown for a non-prime time serial ninety (90) minutes or longer.

Radio play or teleplay more than sixty (60) minutes and less than (90) minutes.

Twenty-four Units

Screenplay for a feature length theatrical motion picture; radio play or teleplay ninety (90) minutes or longer;

Bible for any television serial or prime-time mini-series of at least four (4) hours;

Long-term story projection which is defined for this purpose as a bible, for a specified term, on an existing, five (5) times per week non-prime time serial.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE UNIT SYSTEM
A Rewrite earns one-half (1/2) the number of units allotted to the applicable category of work. A Polish earns one-quarter (1/4) the number of units allotted to the applicable category of work. An Option earns one-half (1/2) the number of units allotted to the applicable category of work subject to a maximum entitlement of eight (8) such units per project in any one (1) year. An extension or renewal of the same option shall not be accorded additional units. If an option on previously unexploited literary material is exercised, the sale of this material is accorded the number of units applicable to the work minus the number of units accorded to the option of the same material.

Comedy-Variety

If three (3) or fewer writers are employed to write literary material for the same comedy-variety program for television, each writer shall be accorded the number of units for teleplay applicable to a program of the same duration (as may be adjusted pursuant to the applicable time period" provisions in Appendix A of the MBA). If more than three (3) writers are employed to write literary material for the same comedy-variety program for television, each writer shall be accorded the number of units for teleplay applicable to a program of the same duration but multiplied by a fraction the numerator of which is one and the denominator of which is the number of writers minus two. For example, if there are five (5) writers employed, the multiplier would be one-third (1/3); if there are ten (10) writers, the multiplier would be one-eighth (1/8) .

Documentaries and Informational Programming

Telescripts for documentaries and literary material for informational programming shall be accorded the number of units for teleplay applicable to a program of the same duration.

Teams

Each writer who collaborates as part of a bona fide team on the same project shall be accorded the appropriate number of units allotted to the applicable category.

New or Unique Cases

In any case not covered by this Section 4, the Board of Directors shall have the authority to convene a Committee to Review the Unit System, which Committee shall suggest specific units applicable to any such work to the Board. Such unit determinations as may be adopted by the Board shall be submitted for membership approval at the first annual or special membership meeting following the Board's action.

Writer Owned Company

In all cases, to qualify for membership, if the writer's employment, option or purchase agreement is with a company owned in whole or in part by the writer or a member of the writer's family, there must be a bona fide agreement for financing, production and/or distribution with a third party signatory producing company. Failing such an agreement, the script must be produced and the writer must receive writing credit on screen in the form of "Written by, "Teleplay by," "Screenplay by," or (audio credit) "Radio Play by."

Writers In A Managerial Capacity or Writer-Performers

A person who is employed to write or who sells or options literary material to a signatory company while:

a) serving in a managerial capacity with the company; or b) rendering managerial services relating to the project for a network, syndicated television station(s), basic cable or pay television system, a studio, or the like, or (c) employed as a player on the project, shall not utilize this assignment, option or sale to qualify for membership in the Guild unless such script is produced and the individual receives writing credit on screen in the form of "Written by," "Teleplay by," "Screenplay by," or (audio credit) "Radio Play by."

Exceptions to the Three-Year Rule

In exceptional cases, the Board of Directors, acting upon a recommendation from the Membership and Finance Committee, shall have the power and authority to grant admission to Current membership based on units earned prior to three (3) years before the membership application was filed.

mammamaia

not exactly...

actually the wga west is for writers west of the mississippi and wga east is for writers east of the mississippi
the type of material that they write is incidental. if you live in nyc then you should register with the wga east.

the location of the writer's residence does apply ['advised' but not mandatory] to BELONGING to the guild... but not on REGISTERING one's work as a NON-member... if you write for tv or film, hollywood agents and prodcos expect your work will be registered with wgaw [but it's not likely to be a major prob if you register with wgae]...

as i said, the staff at each [with whom i've dealt on many occasions] are more likely to be knowledgeable about their respective 'mecca's' sphere of influence... and as you can even see by the design and content of their sites, the west www.wga.orgfocuses largely on film and tv, while the east www.wgae.org features more about journalism, theater, books, and other forms of the writer's art...

many screenwriters live neither east nor west of the mississippi [in the continental us, that is], so that is not an always-valid parameter for deciding where to register... so, imo, it's best to register your screenplays with wgaw, no matter where you live...

Kultman

Writer's Guild Question

Thanks for the information, should new writers be thinking of joining or just using the services.

dchapma123

Re: Writer's Guild Question

Thanks for the information, should new writers be thinking of joining or just using the services.

It's not a club; it's a trade union. It's for people that are already in the biz. You have to have professional credits to join, which you wouldn't have as a "new" writer. The WGA does have programs and resources for non-members, though, which is a good place to start.

toto1958

Whats the difference between the wga and an agent? So this means if you make it so called bit you have to wind up doling out money to both of them.

NikeeGoddess

like he said, the wga is a union. the union's responsiblity is to it's members...all of whom are writers. their efforts are to make sure writers are treated fairly especially since we are all independent contractors and not employees. they register the work of writer's as a way of protection. they don't read it or judge it's quality. they just mark it as yours.

an agent is there to help you as a writer sell your work or get you assignments. they are like any other agent, like a real estate agent. they only make money if you make money.

write on!

mammamaia

you pay dues to the union, if you qualify and want to join... it's not mandatory, but you'd be foolish not to, as just the networking it offers alone is worth the dues...

you pay 10% of what you make on a screenplay to the agent, but only AFTER he/she sells your work, so it's not money out of your pocket... and the agent will most often get you much more than 10% more than you can get on your own, so it's well worth the cost... aside from that, the agent will help build your career, thus making you much more money in the future... again, something you can't do well or at all on your own...

so, don't keep thinking of these career aids as a negative money drain... they're money-MAKING tools...

hugs, maia

DevoGrrl

WGA is your union. Studios amd production companies who are signatories (all the majors) will not hire a writer unless he's WGA. They provide you with benefits (health and such), track your residuals, determine your credits. That said, WGA is a very inefficient and highly bureaucratic machine that is focused on the wishes of A-listers, often ignoring the little guys who constitute 99% of its membership. But if you want a career, there's no way to avoid it.

If you are not a member of the Guild, it really doesn't matter whether you register your stuff with WGA East or West. If you are a member, it is always better to register your material with the office that has your file so that it's all in one place. There is absolutely no difference between them - benefits are benefits no matter who pays them, right?

An agent gets you work.

NikeeGoddess

the only difference between them is in the west registration only last 5 years and east lasts for 10 years

DevoGrrl

I think it's going to change in the next few months though.

scriptosell

WGAE vs WGAW

I live east but regged SP with west. East was rude, not helpful at all and never returned my call or answered my question (I left on voicemail for no live person to talk to). Years ago east had really helpful, courteous and real people there. Not no more. West e-mailed me with prompt efficiency and courtesy. You decide. ;)

cleoauthor

Re: not exactly...

I've been a member of WGA-W for over 20 years, and I truly didn't know that WGA-E handled publishing. You learn something new every single day!

Does WGA-E determine minimums for books? I published a book a couple of years ago and it never even occured to me that my Guild had anything to do with publishing.

Linda

mammamaia

cleo...
a 20-year member?... impressive!... so, have you sold screenplays of your own, or worked as a writer for a studio?

as for wgae, i also used to deal with them over 20 years ago and they were great folks then... but times and staff do change, i guess... as for publishing, no, they don't have anything to do with it per se, but they are the union for writers of all kinds... which includes novelists, journalists, non-fiction book authors, and songwriters and lyricists, poets, and such...

i don't know if they have anything for book authors, like the wga basic minimums for screenwriters, but i'm sure you can find out on their website [ wgae.org ]...

hugs, maia

cleoauthor

Maia:

I wrote for TV, mainly soaps. Well, gee, someone has to. :)
Since I live in L.A., naturally I'm with WGA-W, which is the larger of the two offices. Although I have issues with the union regarding daytime television, I've been very grateful for their perks -- health insurance (used to be much better), a reasonable pension, etc. I'm what's called an Emeritis Member now, as I've retired.

Only after I retired from TV did I start writing novels. It just never occured to me that the Guild was in any way geared toward novelists.

Linda

mammamaia

re novelists: well, it is the 'writers' guild, right?;) ... i used to register my novels, plays, lyrics, tv work, and short story collections w/ wgae when i lived back east... and most of the novelists i knew in my hometown [westport, ct] were wga members...

but, you are the first 'soapwriter emeritus' i've ever had the privilege to 'meet,' my dear... i used to go to the natas affairs in ny and remember the night ruth warwick got some major soap award... thing was, i'd gone to school with her daughter and remembered her being delivered to school every day by the uniformed maid, in a cadillac convertible!... ruth did alright with soaps, after a pretty good and long film career...

those were the days...

love and hugs, maia

cleoauthor

It never occurred to me to register my first novel. I did register the one I'm trying to hawk now (BOOBS OVER HOLLYWOOD) as it contains a really, really cheesy TV reality show within the plot. It's so cheesy I worried that it's exactly the kind of junk TV produers might think was "hot." I meant it as satire and irony! Anyway, just to be sure, I registered it.

But, to the best of my knowledge, neither WGA-w or WGA-e contracts don't include minimums for novels nor are publishers signatories to the Guild, right?

Hugs,
Linda

mammamaia

right!

far as i know... but there are other advantages to joining for writers of stuff other than scripts... m

gullpoop

then where DO they live?

"many screenwriters live neither east nor west of the mississippi"

I'm curious about how they manage this... houseboats, I'm guessing

NikeeGoddess

Re: then where DO they live?

that's mamma for ya' ;)
there was a little old lady who lived in a houseboat

cleoauthor

Although it's not mandatory per se to join the Guild, many (most?) of the production companies are signatories to the Guild and only hire WGA writers. I think they can hire non-Union members if they agree to pay the writers according to the Guild's Schedule of Minimums and provide the benefits they Guild members are entitled to. I'm unclear about this, so I hope someone else can elaborate on this. And it's entirely possible I'm completely all wet about that last part.

It never occurred to me not to join the Guild. In fact, when I joined, I considered it such an honor. And as a result of the Guild, I had great medical benefits and a nice pension. All good things. And as been said before, it's a good place to network.

mammamaia

oh, c'mon now!

some live north [in canada]... some live south [in south america] of the great muddy and in either case, some could well live in a direct line with the mississippi, making my statemement perfectly correct, smartypants!:b

you know darn well i was referring to writers living in other countries... or should have... but you do hafta have your fun at somebody's expense, huh?... and who's a better target than this weird old lady!?...

loveya anyway... m