PDA

View Full Version : Bummer!

janetbellinger
12-02-2006, 04:17 AM
An agent just emailed me and said she was sorry but the pages I sent from my novel did not draw her in as she had hoped and she was not the best fit for it. In other words, she finds my opening pages boring. I don't know whether to wait for more responses from other agents or get to work revising it. I wonder if I offered to work on the opening pages she might reconsider. Anyways, I've been working my buns off on this project and am really bummed out about the rejection but most particularly because of the reason for it. But at least I got feedback which is good.

Little Red Barn
12-02-2006, 04:23 AM
Sorry Janet, when this has happened to me I just go back over it again...of course I'm always trying to perfect...I can usually find some way to improve...
then again there are some chapters I won't even touch.
another thought save an extra copy just to play around with while leaving your other untouched.
sorry again, kimi

janetbellinger
12-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Thanks Kimmi. I'm pretty sure I can improve the beginning. The thing is, the novel is actually quite exciting, but the intro may be too slow, nothing that can't be fixed though.

RLB
12-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Janet-

I got an email rejection from an agent a few weeks ago that used the same wording "didn't draw her in as she hoped." Since she mentioned the work by title, I felt like it was a good sign, but I've since read examples of some creative form rejections, so now I'm wondering if that's what mine was. I hope not 'cause it sounded so dadgum pleasant...

Either way, it's making me look hard at those first 5 pages as well.

Good luck to you!

Pisarz
12-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Janet,

I tried to send you a PM about this but it says your Inbox is full.

janetbellinger
12-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks. I just got a message from AW about it and cleaned out my inbox. I guess she was doing me a favour, but why did it have to happen on my birthday? Ah well, it's all part of bein ga writer, isn't it?

Ms.Write
12-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Janet, sorry to hear about this response, and especially on your birthday! Why not test the first few pages with a few other writers to see what the consensus is? Maybe it just wasn't what the agent was looking for... My feeling is that she just wasn't the right agent for your book.

janetbellinger
12-03-2006, 12:55 AM
I think the editor was right. The intro isn't very exciting, I'm afraid. I'm in the process of changing it, even though I may have to end up changing the whole book or making it into two books. It's the smoking gun theory. Nothing goes on the first page that doesn't have major impact later on in the novel.

Little Red Barn
12-03-2006, 12:59 AM
:e2flowersBig Happy Birthday Janet! and a good hug, kimmi:Hug2:

Ms.Write
12-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Maybe best to sit on it awhile before making all the changes? Make sure it makes sense to you, in your gut (our body always knows). If so, then go ahead. If you have doubts, get another opinion (or two).

Sury
12-03-2006, 09:52 AM
So good to see you are using the editor's opinions to improve your MS, Janet. That's the spirit. I am sure with that sort of dedication, your book will find a home soon.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Sury

triceretops
12-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I do utilize the SYW thread for my particular genre and it can be quite telling about significant openings and hook techniques. You might try this, Janet. I've been righteously shredded about six times, and it's proved to be great help. Good luck with your submission!

Tri

smallthunder
12-07-2006, 02:59 AM
While it is good to keep an open mind about one's work -- i.e. to be willing to accept criticism and use it constructively -- please remember that (as far as I can see here) this particular feedback came from ONLY ONE AGENT.

In other words -- you shouldn't edit/revise based on only one person's idea of what's good writing (or not good writing). No matter how great an agent or editor, s/he is just one (expert), and somebody just as expert might have the exact opposite feeling about your writing.

If you see a consensus building from an assortment of agents -- i.e. several people note a particular problem -- well, that would be a good time to take a hard look at the writing and revise it.

But just one voice is enough to make you doubt yourself? Not good.

Unless, of course, if you really didn't put enough effort into making your writing the best you (thought you) could -- prior to sending it to that one agent. In that case, the single person's criticism could very well be valid and the revision overdue.

Just, please -- don't think that any one agent or editor is all-knowing, all-seeing, and worthy of sacrificing your singular voice or instincts to --

And GOOD LUCK!