PDA

View Full Version : December 500 words/day thread--all genres welcome

Good Word
12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Who's in?

I'm in.

I know this month might be a bit of a challenge, with the holidays and all, but that doesn't mean we have to throw the baby out with the keyboard. ;)

AnnieColleen
12-01-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm in.

(I hope I'll be doing more than that since I have most of December off work -- we'll see how that actually goes!)

paprikapink
12-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Nice try, GW! But I found you over here in this new thread even without a link. Cuz I knew you'd think you could lose me that easy. BWWWAaaahhhhhhhaaaaa!

Not skeert are ya?

I'm not writing anything today. It's not November anymore. I'm going back to my Nano (teeny weeny thing that it is) and reading it all of a piece for the first time since I started it. And cutting chunks out! I really can't even bring myself to write in there anymore it's such a mess. Like my car. I'm gonna tidy it up then go on a road trip!

moth
12-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I would love to join this thread but I've had a lapse in creativity lately. Storylines that seemed great a few weeks ago seem to crumble now, so I have no story arcs to write 500 words of. Does outlining/brainstorming 500 words count?

Good Word
12-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Moths are cool.

Yes, by all means, count it. It's a means to a beginning.

Come on in!

AnnieColleen
12-03-2006, 03:07 AM
So are we logging words in this thread or the other?

Not that I have anything to log yet today.

greglondon
12-03-2006, 05:42 AM
I'm back.
I spent most of the day writing to make up for being gone for a week.

Got 2,500 words today (MS-Word count)

f-ing yeah!

:e2headban

JDCrayne
12-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Yep, I'm here!
I made 954 words today... hmm, I should have tossed in a few more adjectives and gotten to 960. My homeless band of 174 wretched souls is wandering alone in the wilderness without food or water. They're gonna suffer!!! Heh-heh-heh!!!

Good Word
12-03-2006, 08:36 AM
This thread, AnnieColleen.

gclare, you're funny. Funny is good. Are you a vegetarian?

Paprika, bring that l'il nano baby over here and give her a bottle.

Mr. London, good sir, welcome back from the roadkill harvesting conference. Hope it was fruitful? Or meatful, if you prefer. Glad you worked on your rewrites.

JD, congrats. But is 174 an arbitrary number? Poor things. No beverages, no food? Maybe they shoulda went to Greg's seminar.

I did my 500 yesterday, more stream of consciousness than anything, and I did about 300 today so far.

I Shrugged is going to do the next roundup and dish out the suns on Monday. Thanks, Shruggles!

AnnieColleen
12-03-2006, 08:40 AM
I wound up working on a (very overdue) cross-stitch project instead. :gone: Here's hoping for tomorrow.

Good Word
12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
:whip:

JDCrayne
12-03-2006, 09:00 AM
JD, congrats. But is 174 an arbitrary number? Poor things. No beverages, no food? Maybe they shoulda went to Greg's seminar.

Sort of arbitrary. I started off with 462 and I've been murdering them along the way. Are there munchies and stuff to drink at the seminar? The wretched survivors could still stop by!

moth
12-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Moths are cool.
:Thumbs: I think so too, but actually my username is an acronym for 'my own two hands'. Seeing m-o-t-h every time I log in here helps me remember I have to do the work myself, and that it's good work to do.

I too was a slug yesterday :e2paperba , but later on today is looking promising.

aadams73
12-04-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm in too! I've kinda sorta had the weekend off while I brainstorm, so I'll be starting off tomorow.

kdnxdr
12-04-2006, 03:30 AM
I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!

This thread got me going on my first fiction writing ever and I'm about 3,000 words into the thing.

I have to see what's going to happen to my MC so I have to write! If I don't, I won't ever know what happened to her.

Thank you all for getting me addicted to writing a story.

kid

I think the 625 I did last night will go for December, is that okay?

AnnieColleen
12-04-2006, 04:24 AM
Ow! Okay, okay, I got words here -- 601 today. See? Good enough?

They're probably closer to outline/drafting, but I think that's what I need right now, figuring out which parts actually go into the story.

I could probably have gone on -- it was going really well! -- but I have to go help make dinner. We're having potato soup, and the bacon smells awesome, but I told myself I couldn't snitch any til I got today's words done.

JDCrayne
12-04-2006, 05:07 AM
789 words today, and my wretched band of wanderers have finally made it to the river bank, so they're not going to die of thirst, poor souls. Total word count for the WIP is now 18,763.

kdnxdr
12-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Whew!

I got my 501 for this evening.!

It's nine pm and now I've got to finish my lesson plan for my preschool class tomorrow. Yikes!

I am having so much fun with my story.

greglondon
12-04-2006, 07:11 AM
5400 words.

yes, it's a second draft,
but I re-typed everything from scratch.
No cut and paste.
Too many changes to make cut and paste worth it.

changing points of view suck, by the way.

going to go veg out for a while now
before my brain explodes.

JDCrayne
12-04-2006, 07:46 AM
changing points of view suck, by the way.

It IS an interesting challenge. The trick is to keep each segment long enough that the readers don't get confused by the change. I'm also making sure that the first sentence of each new segment establishes the person, time, and place. I was a little concerned about juggling three of them, since I had only used two in the previous book, but I remembered that Tolkien used three throughout most of the middle book of his trilogy. At least that is some kind of precedent.

dahmnait
12-04-2006, 09:41 AM
I killed my muse and now she is pissed off at me and won't come back. In the last two days I have written a whopping 232 words. :( I'll keep at it though.

moth
12-04-2006, 04:27 PM
No story-arcing on new stuff, but I got 330 words on a revision I'd been letting sit. Felt good. It's only 330 words, but it's the most I've done in a week and I'm extremely glad I did them. Hopefully more later too.

AnnieColleen
12-04-2006, 09:26 PM
I got 250 more last night -- woke up with a scene in my head and was afraid of forgetting it. Nothing yet today.

aadams73
12-05-2006, 02:38 AM
693 for me today. About twice that in planning.

greglondon
12-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Broken pipe in the basement, dealing with a plumber,
and I still got 1079 words today.

:e2woo:

moth
12-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Didn't get back to the revision -- instead I discovered poetry. I'm still reeling a bit. I thought it was this murky, unclear, hard-to-understand phenomenon, but I find I really like it. I wrote three new poems in some of the poetry game threads and though they couldn't have been more than maybe 50 words combined, I feel like I've broken through some kind of wall.

greglondon
12-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Broken pipe in the basement, dealing with a plumber,
and I still got 1079 words today.

:e2woo:

Plus another 400 just before midnight.

;)

Time for bed.

dahmnait
12-05-2006, 09:13 AM
I wrote 200 words on my writeup for the business. I am getting close to the editing process. :) (I do not count any of the other writing I do for the business, that is work.)

I am struggling a bit with my X-mas poetry contest entry. I wrote 126 words, but they aren't working for me yet. So, now that I am too tired to work, I will focus on what format will work best.

Hmmm, I am working on my non-business writing when I am tired. That could be why my muse is rebelling.

AnnieColleen
12-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Hmm, yeah, tiredness seems to jinx the muse. Maybe a broken pipe would help? :tongue

Tiredness notwithstanding, I got about 700 today, still playing with my resurrected short story (rewriting to follow a different character). Now I'm suspecting there's a novel that could come out of it, but I'm not starting that now! Gotta get back to the one I'm working on...but not tonight.

kdnxdr
12-05-2006, 10:11 AM
At 9pm I eaked out about 150 words and started konking out at the keyboard. Layed on the couch and slept for two hours, came back and just completed my 605!

Good night!

greglondon
12-05-2006, 07:55 PM
838 words this morning.
28,000 so far.
looks like I'm about a third of the way to being finished.
26 days to finish. better take it up a notch.

aadams73
12-06-2006, 01:15 AM
1800 for me today, and I went back and revised it very lightly this afternoon.

Anyone else have a massive pile of research-for-novels books? Mine is outta control!

dahmnait
12-06-2006, 02:51 AM
Anyone else have a massive pile of research-for-novels books? Mine is outta control!
Research for books, research for articles, research for my poem, research for the business.....argh....umm yeah, I have a little bit of research to accomplish.:)

aadams73
12-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Glad I'm not the only one then :D

WildScribe
12-06-2006, 04:00 AM
1,319.... WOOHOO!!! I also made lasagna, made steak for lunch, went shopping, cooked a squash, and got some reading done... not to mention reading the damn forum all day!

:e2woo::e2woo::e2woo:

JDCrayne
12-06-2006, 04:39 AM
I didn't get anything done yesterday, what with errands and visitors, but I caught up today with 1317, bringing the WIP up to 20,080. My poor desperate band of refugees caught some fish to eat, and they are now sleeping their exhausted sleep on the river bank.

AnnieColleen
12-06-2006, 05:36 AM
I did, but they made me take 'em back. Couldn't renew more than three times. (The budget won't cover buying them all!)

moth
12-06-2006, 05:51 AM
:Headbang: Why do I keep letting life get in my way?

Zero revision words, zero new story building.
I'm glad I have to write it down in this thread. If nothing else it'll spur (read: guilt) me into doing some tomorrow, or even later tonight.

AnnieColleen
12-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Agree on this thread as a spur! I doubt I would've written tonight without it. :sleepy: As is, I have 515, in the story I'm feeling burnt-out on. (Draft/outlining counts, fortunately!)

dahmnait
12-06-2006, 06:18 AM
My poor desperate band of refugees caught some fish to eat, and they are now sleeping their exhausted sleep on the river bank.:oI have to admit, I am caught. Did you lose any more? (Refugees, not words. I'm losing enough words for everyone here.;))

JDCrayne
12-06-2006, 07:33 AM
:oI have to admit, I am caught. Did you lose any more? (Refugees, not words. I'm losing enough words for everyone here.;))

The refugees are okay for the moment, but I killed off about 150 bad guys over at the fort...

Man, this is turning out to be a bloody damned novel! (With apologies to any of the Brits out there. lol!)

Good Word
12-06-2006, 08:48 AM
I wanna party with you guys. Time for a roundup, pardners. (Sorry, I finally broke down and watched some of Brokeback Mountain last night.)

Shrugsy: Stay the course, mate (now I'm lapsing into pirate stuff--perhaps my previous lives are getting the best of me or something). I'm glad you hang your hat here. We seem to be on the same cooking path. I did cookies this weekend, too. But what I really like is your word count.
:Sun:
AnnieColleen, good on the 600 words, and the ones before that, and the ones tomorrow. What are you writing? Here, have a sun:

JD: So things are getting bloody, are they? We agreed early on that gore and aplomb are perfectly acceptable here, so fret not. You are in good company. What do you do with the bodies, though?

Tammy, how's that muse treating you? You reminded me of a thread a long time ago somewhere around here where folks described their muses. Mine was a zombie muse named Ralph who scratched my back once in a while, but mostly hung out staring into my fridge scratching his keister and drank a twelve-pack of Bud a day. Keep going, Tammy, you've got a lot on your plate. :Thumbs:

Kid, how's that story treating you? What's the plot? What's the MC's name?

Mr. London: But was it a REAL plumber? Smokin' on your rewrite, my friend. I bet you'll make your goal. With the appropriate amounts of harrassment support, of course.

Moth, I know it's hard, but try not to feel guilty. It's just not that useful. Hit that reset button, and give it another whirl. Here's some mood music::Guitar:

Ms. Adams, since you're Satan's helper, let me know if you'd like to do the next roundup and hand out the suns and :whip: where you feel like it it's helpful. My best to Timmy. And a sun for your word count.
WildScribe: Yay for your lasagna word count! Tell us what you're writing about and if you paint your nails. A hearty welcome to Absolute Write, the place for wild scribing.;)

gclare, Come to the liiiiiiiiigggght!

Me: I'm having a bad hair day for, say, the past three days. I had a good writing month for November, but I'm kinda stalled. I've done a couple of stream-of-consciousness sessions, and written some plotting, but I'm not actually adding words to the WIP. I think I am going to go back to the last chapter and add to it/rewrite it. I'm just stumped. I think I need to spend more time researching my evil scientist. He's a combination of crazy, talented and bad. Maybe if I figure out what flavor of crazy (a little schizo, or just wacked...not sure), that will help.

Write away, everyone!

:e2grouphu

AnnieColleen
12-06-2006, 08:59 AM
AnnieColleen, good on the 600 words, and the ones before that, and the ones tomorrow. What are you writing? Here, have a sun: :Sun:
Mm, nice warm sun!

What I'm writing: today's was the alternate history novel I've been stymied on (posted a summary here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=920916&postcount=9) a while ago). Right now I'm just letting the narrator talk, not worrying about scenes or whatnot, to see what actually happens, so this part might or might not end up in the story. Hopefully that should get it going again. The last couple of days I was playing with a short story (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47745) from last year or so, but that's going to have to go on the back burner for a while.

JDCrayne
12-06-2006, 09:21 AM
JD: So things are getting bloody, are they? We agreed early on that gore and aplomb are perfectly acceptable here, so fret not. You are in good company. What do you do with the bodies, though?

Burn the ones from the Good Guys and leave the others to rot and be nibbled by the local scavengers. Except that some of them got to smelling too much, so I decided they had to be burned too. I sure hope I can round out this part of the novel pretty soon and get onto something a bit more cheerful. Yeah, let's party!!

kdnxdr
12-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I've decided waiting until 8 or 9 oclock to attempt my 500 is too late. I find myself turning into a bobble-head trying to stay awake and write. So for now, I'll claim my 400 words and say good-night.

My MC has amnesia and doesn't know her name. She's been living on the street, lost her identity in a scuffle in the airport terminal when all her belongings went down the conveyor belt and she fell.

She's been offered some shelter and one meal a night in exchange for help around the house. She's hoping someone will recognize her and reconnect her with her previous life.

Just call me bobble-head. Night all!

WildScribe
12-06-2006, 10:16 AM
WildScribe: Yay for your lasagna word count! Tell us what you're writing about and if you paint your nails. A hearty welcome to Absolute Write, the place for wild scribing.;)

Thank you :-D The lasagna was yummier than the word count, but I have to say that the progress on my novel was more rewarding. I'm working on a coming-of-age type novel. Should I post my synopsis under genre? I don't want to waste everyone's time here when we're all so busy checking the forums writing. ;)

Oh, I love nail polish, but lack the patience to keep my nails nicely done, so no, not really. Wildscribe is part of my craft name (I'm one of those scary witch people). I've actually been posting occasionally/lurking for a few months. Thanks for the welcome!:Hug2:

WildScribe
12-07-2006, 01:40 AM
I was wondering why my 500 words so far was taking up so little space... oh, yea... format: double space. Duh.

Today: 648!

I am pausing on the novel because I have a shiny new idea for an article that I just HAVE to write.

aadams73
12-07-2006, 03:02 AM
1300 today. Plus I did lots of scribbling on notecards while I was doing the ironing and watching The Mummy Returns. Multitasking, baby!

WildScribe
12-07-2006, 03:22 AM
Add an 825 word personal essay for a grand total of... 1473!!:hooray:

moth
12-07-2006, 04:26 AM
Major storybuilding, and about 400 words or so of poems for fun.

JDCrayne
12-07-2006, 06:28 AM
She's been offered some shelter and one meal a night in exchange for help around the house. She's hoping someone will recognize her and reconnect her with her previous life.

Gosh, poor gal! I'm glad someone has taken her in and is feeding her!

My own little troop has been located by their potential rescuers, who are a day and a half away from them. Perhaps help is on the way!! I clicked out 676 words for a new total of 20,756.

AnnieColleen
12-07-2006, 09:18 AM
I think my computer's picking up AW malware, maybe something called bic.exe. :Hammer: It wouldn't connect to the internet til I'd done my words for the day.

640 tonight, plus about 6 stitches on the cross-stitch and a 2-hour long choir practice. :Ssh:

dahmnait
12-07-2006, 09:28 AM
222 247 words on a poem (another 81 words were cut in the edit). Yep folks, an honest-to-goodness breakthrough! I think my muse has gotten over her hissy fit and decided to come back. :D

kdnxdr
12-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Awesome JDC, I can't even imagine hammering out 20,000+ words. I bummed out last night and got a big ol' zero.......

I refused to get bummed. I can make it up tonight.

She's locked in her room at the moment and I need to go see about it.

AnnieColleen
12-08-2006, 01:15 AM
I can't even imagine hammering out 20,000+ words.

I couldn't either, until I added up all the scattered files I have on one novel and it came to something like 23,000. :)

(Of course now the higher milestones still look impossible -- never satisfied, are we!)

WildScribe
12-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Never, Annie.

I haven't even started yet today!! I think I need to pack up my laptop and hit the local cafe'. That usually does it for me.

aadams73
12-08-2006, 02:51 AM
200 for me today. But that's because I sat here watching Pirates 2 and my mind was on Johnny Depp.

JDCrayne
12-08-2006, 06:04 AM
I pounded out 715 words this afternoon, for a new WIP total of 21,471.

KDNXDR, what gobsmacks me is that this is my 14th opus and, even though my books are short (sort of novella length at around 50,000 words each), I've now churned out well over 500,000 words. Hang in there, and keep typing.

greglondon
12-08-2006, 09:08 AM
1062 words today, just before midnight. Yay!

AnnieColleen
12-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Hmm, that bic virus is unreliable - only 396 tonight, and I'm falling asleep at the computer. Tomorrow, hopefully.

WildScribe
12-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Forgot to mention that I did 1,135 yesterday. I also bought a new desk, so today might consist entirely of putting it together. We'll see.

kdnxdr
12-09-2006, 08:38 AM
I hit a bump in the road....I didn't feel like writing. Yikes! I hope that's nothing terminal?

I didn't get anything done the last couple of nights. Tonight, I'm happy with 581!

Good Word
12-09-2006, 08:45 AM
gclare, thanks for asking--let me see if I can put my thoughts into words concisely enough later and I'll post it.

So I went in a different direction, and wrote 550 words on something else (short story). Whew!

AnnieColleen
12-09-2006, 09:34 AM
No words tonight, because I went to Handel's Messiah instead. (Whee! for good music!)

Of course now I'm on vacation from the day job, so I have one less excuse for the next three weeks.

WildScribe
12-09-2006, 09:40 AM
1,136. I beat yesterday by one word! Wheeee! I'm on a roll lately! (Although tomorrow I will be away from home all day and fear that I might write nothing!)

Inkdaub
12-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I managed 759 tonight. My mind is beginning to wander.

WildScribe
12-10-2006, 04:20 AM
Only 512 today.. barely made it.

JDCrayne
12-10-2006, 05:39 AM
I didn't get anything done yesterday; I slothfully spent the entire day reading Christopher Priest's "The Prestige." Today I redeemed myself and churned out 1743 for a new WIP total of 23,214. My heroine is learning how to work with stained glass but whether that will be of much use to her in future, I do not presently know.

WildScribe
12-10-2006, 09:03 AM
I didn't get anything done yesterday; I slothfully spent the entire day reading Christopher Priest's "The Prestige." Today I redeemed myself and churned out 1743 for a new WIP total of 23,214. My heroine is learning how to work with stained glass but whether that will be of much use to her in future, I do not presently know.

Don't you love how characters wander off and do unexpected things?

kdnxdr
12-10-2006, 09:33 AM
I left my MC sitting in a bus terminal people watching while her teenage homeless friend sips hot chocolate.

954 for me today!!!!

That's the most I've ever done at one time, yeah!

WildScribe
12-11-2006, 01:27 AM
1,994!!!!!! Heck yea! I'm on an "outdo myself" kick, it seems. WHEEEEE!:hooray:

aadams73
12-11-2006, 02:31 AM
Kick A$$ folks!!! Well done!

I had a lax day yesterday, getting only 300 or so words, but I caught up a little bit today and pounded out close to 1000 words. Might get a few more in later.

JDCrayne
12-11-2006, 06:43 AM
I wrote 1252 words today, but not on the same book. I hope that still counts! I decided that I needed a break from the fantasy, so I dragged out and dusted off a cosy mystery that I've had around for about six months. I needed to straighten out some POV problems with it, and introduce the detective. The pleasant young couple, who are hoping to run a B&B, have just discovered a corpse in their upstairs bedroom.

Good Word
12-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Well, I'm lame today--in a time crunch on some other work, and if I don't get my words in tomorrow, feel free to use the shock collar on me. I started this, fer cryin'out loud, I better get my keister in gear.

Back for roundup tomorrow.

:)

kdnxdr
12-11-2006, 08:33 AM
I have 606 for tonight and my MC is back in her engmatic benefactor's home, peeling off her street clothes that haven't been washed in months and sleeping in a real bed.

aadams73
12-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, I'm lame today--in a time crunch on some other work, and if I don't get my words in tomorrow, feel free to use the shock collar on me. I started this, fer cryin'out loud, I better get my keister in gear.

*Perk* We have a shock collar? Okay, who wants to be my first victim? I'm dying to try out the zappy thingy.

Shrug, you are freakin' awesome! First draft is the hardest and now you can start polishing!

(Meanwhile, why does my spellchecker want to change "okay" to "Tokay"? What exactly is a tokay???)

AnnieColleen
12-11-2006, 09:26 PM
896 today, and hopefully more later on. (After a washout weekend, so this is good!) I finished the intro/not quite outline I was working on -- having my narrator just write* about about what she's doing and what she hopes to accomplish. Next step is to go through and pull out the tidbits from it that should hopefully show me where the story's going.

*she's a historian, so she's writing, not talking

aadams73
12-12-2006, 02:54 AM
1100 and change today. Getting into my MC's head nicely now, and building lots of tension.

WildScribe
12-12-2006, 03:03 AM
I got 597 on a flash piece. ((SHAMELESS PLUS))

Please check it out?:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48798 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48798)

I might work on my novel today, but I just put together another desk, (this time for my husband), and my back hurts and I am tired. AND I have to go to work tonight. *sigh*

JDCrayne
12-12-2006, 06:55 AM
I churned out a 2100-word horror short story today, about a dead girl and a trio of would-be necrophiliacs. What WAS I thinking!!

greglondon
12-12-2006, 09:18 AM
three days, maybe 1200 words. zip tonight.

WildScribe
12-12-2006, 10:14 PM
566 on my novel today, plus a total revision of the short from yesterday. I'd do more but they're making me go to work at 11am (I normally start around 5 pm). Damn work. And then I have that @$%@^ office party to go to tonight.

~Dionne, bracing myself

AnnieColleen
12-13-2006, 03:06 AM
1222 today (draft/outlining). I think I have both plot lines roughed out (the historian's & the person she's researching, ~80 years apart).

Now I just have to figure out how to put the darn thing together, and that has me all confuzzled.

(and the one thing I'm learning from this vacation time is how incredibly scatterbrained I can be when I'm trying to dedicate time to a job!)

aadams73
12-13-2006, 03:30 AM
About 1000 words. Been a "meh" kind of day for me all around.

kdnxdr
12-13-2006, 07:40 AM
I bombed last night but I'm going now to try to whack on it awhile and see what I can get done.

PS:

I only made it to 200.......need to go to bed.

I'm saying sorry to myself.

dahmnait
12-13-2006, 08:06 AM
The holiday season is kicking me in the butt. And today I worked on my resume (for good reason (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=980744#post980744)). I will get back into it soon.

JDCrayne
12-14-2006, 05:15 AM
I went back to my fantasy novel today and churned out 568 words on that. Now I need to mosey over to the cosy mystery and see what I can do to further the plot on that one. Working on two books at once is going to be either very fulfilling or very frustrating.

WildScribe
12-14-2006, 10:38 AM
Despite a complete lack of time at home today, I managed to churn out my 531 words. I'm going to bed now...

AnnieColleen
12-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Forgot to post yesterday, but I got 566. Don't know how today will go (I have a cross-stitch that must be finished and some errands to run).

Good Word
12-14-2006, 08:09 PM
You can zap me for the other day, if you must. I did squat, but got in about 500 yesterday (estimating longhand).

aadams73
12-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Don't sweat it, I have to zap myself. 200 words yesterday, sheesh. Not sure what my problem was. Oh wait, yes I do. I'm back on the query-go-round again with a few really good bites already. So, I'm doing the self-doubt/mental torture thing.(I suck, I suck damnit, and not in a good way!) Not exactly good for getting the writing juices going.

Today is going a bit better. (But I still suck. I'm the worst hack on the planet.)
(Did I mention that I'm a loser hack who can't write for crap?)

Good Word
12-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Dear Satan's little helper,

No fricken talk like that, Missy. It pisses Satan off. No hell for you.
Even Satan practices good self-talk: "I'm the hottest devil around." "My horns are sexy," etc.

Sincerely,

Fricken Satan

Besides, hacks are cool. And I'm quite sure your writing doesn't suck.

aadams73
12-14-2006, 09:34 PM
:ROFL: Thanks :D And poor ole' Satan gets such a bad rap. (I know there's a marshmallow in there)

I made a hot cup of tea and and had a cookie. That chased the self-doubt out the front door. Self-doubt hates cookies, especially ones with gooey little chocolate chips.

The good news is that I am now up about 800 words today.

Here's some choccy to keep all the self-doubts away :Cake:

WildScribe
12-14-2006, 11:17 PM
1,411 today! Wheee! Off to the beach, now!

Kate Thornton
12-15-2006, 01:52 AM
800 words for a flash that required 500 - so I had to pare it down!

Whew - feels nice!

aadams73
12-15-2006, 03:04 AM
Well done, folks! I got 1500 in after my raging self-doubt fit earlier today. Pretty darn happy with that!

greglondon
12-15-2006, 05:32 AM
3,000 words today.

AnnieColleen
12-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Good job all!

Between cross-stitch and errands, 0 today here. But, I finished the cross-stitch!

JDCrayne
12-15-2006, 07:53 AM
3,000 words today.

Well done!! Congratulations!

I did a bit of clean up work on the fantasy, and then went back to the cosy mystery and added 1039 words to that. That takes it to a bit over 5,000 and I have the initial characters, situation, and location nailed down pretty well.

aadams73
12-15-2006, 02:05 PM
3,000 words today.

That's really fabulous! Good going.

Inkdaub
12-15-2006, 02:49 PM
721 tonight and some of them might be good.

WildScribe
12-16-2006, 02:11 AM
604 today, and lunch with the 'rents.

aadams73
12-16-2006, 02:51 AM
1000 words, practically even. Pretty pleased because I'm writing much cleaner in a first draft now.

JDCrayne
12-16-2006, 04:41 AM
I added another 831 words to the fantasy today. My little band of refugees is temporarily out of the woods (both figuratively and literally), with a little time for reflection and philosophizing -- thus laying the way for the next hurdle in their steeplechase through life.

Congratulations to us all!

greglondon
12-16-2006, 07:42 AM
4,688 words, by Microsoft Word.

Can I just say that sex scenes are unbelievably difficult....

I need a cigarette....

JDCrayne
12-16-2006, 09:06 AM
4,688 words, by Microsoft Word.

Can I just say that sex scenes are unbelievably difficult....

I need a cigarette....

Yeah, there are only so many things that two, four, or even six people can do together. I always get distracted by trying to figure out where everyone's arms and legs are and if they can really do much of anything in that particular position. Maybe we ought to stroll down to the Erotica board for a crash course.

AnnieColleen
12-16-2006, 09:22 AM
612 tonight. The Crapometer is entirely too distracting.

Someone kick me if I'm not productive tomorrow. A week of vacation gone, and I can't afford to let this stall in the holiday craziness.

greglondon
12-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Ugh. Spent my writing time cleaning up a bunch of problems with yestday's stuff. Yeah, tough scenes to write. New stuff tomorrow.

JDCrayne
12-17-2006, 06:41 AM
I barely squeaked through today, with 504 words on the fantasy. My little band of refugees has three choices about what to do next, and I have to figure out what would be the most reasonable thing for them to do. I hate it when characters in books make stupid choices for the sake of author convenience.

AnnieColleen
12-17-2006, 09:06 AM
:flag:

So I said I couldn't let today slide...and the day promptly blew up on me. A bit of re-reading and mulling, but no writing. Murphy in action.

Ok, my goal for tomorrow is to be an absolute lazy bum. Let's see what Murphy does with that.

dahmnait
12-17-2006, 10:06 AM
I have spent the last two days researching query letters, in addition, on the first day (Thursday) I revised my resume. Yay me, I actually have something I want to query out. Today on the other hand, I spent all my time working, so I haven't done much in the way of writing.

Good work on the word counts everyone. And Annie, if that doesn't foul up Murphy, just kill him.

WildScribe
12-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I woke up and left home for the MIL's yesterday, and didn't get home until 10:30. Since that left no time for writing, I wrote 1,078 today as a sort of apology. So we've got 500 for yesterday and the rest for today ;) I say it counts!!

Anyway, I just slogged through a really hard scene to write, so I feel good about tomorrow. :D

JDCrayne
12-18-2006, 05:56 AM
I wrote 761 words on the mystery today, and 595 on the fantasy, for a grand total of 1356. Ah, time sharing!

greglondon
12-18-2006, 06:10 AM
1,800 words today, plus more tweaks to that damn sex scene.

AnnieColleen
12-18-2006, 07:38 AM
1115 today. Either Murphy was fooled or Tammy scared him off.

WildScribe
12-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Yay everyone!!!! Keep it up! (And Murphy better keep his ass away, too!) :hooray:

aadams73
12-19-2006, 03:17 AM
I had a slackish weekend, but I came roaring in with 2000 words today. I'm past that awkward getting-to-know-my-characters hump, thankgawd.

Good Word
12-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Why does your character have a hump? Is he like Igore from Young Frankenstein? (sorry, could not resist)

I did 500 words yesterday. Not much yet today.

Keep going, folks!

JDCrayne
12-19-2006, 07:22 AM
513 words on the mystery today. My pleasant, young, cosy couple drink coffee and contemplate washing the bloodstains off of the bedroom walls.

WildScribe
12-19-2006, 07:37 AM
633 right now. This scene is plodding along...

AnnieColleen
12-19-2006, 08:45 AM
612 today. This scene surprised me with where it ended up, so I'll have to think out where it goes from here. Also did some editing of the previous couple of scenes. (I'm adding one character's scenes interposed with what I already had of others, so it's new writing + editing as I go.)

WildScribe
12-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Did you know that the bird in your Avatar is a cardinal? You have parrot right above it, and it just keeps jumping out at me.

Sorry, I know that was random.

AnnieColleen
12-19-2006, 09:13 AM
:roll: Yes, I did -- sorry to confuse! I'm frequently random, unfortunately.

The cardinal is a cross-stitch ornament I just finished for my grandmother to give to someone; I put it in the avatar since I'd been talking about cross-stitch projects as a distraction from writing and it was finally done. The parrot thing I got from a thread by a newbie asking about rep points, when I was still feeling very much like a newbie but was able to answer because I'd been reading the saga of rep points and could spit it back almost verbatim. Strong verbal memory = "I'm a good parrot." Didn't even think of the possible connection there!

So, do I change the quote, change the avatar, or continue to be random?

WildScribe
12-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Random is fine :D

aadams73
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Why does your character have a hump? Is he like Igore from Young Frankenstein? (sorry, could not resist)

Yes, and he walks like this: :e2beat:

I just watched YF again last week. SO funny.

WildScribe
12-20-2006, 12:51 AM
So far today:
576 on the WIP

Around 900 for paid articles

aadams73
12-20-2006, 03:04 AM
2050ish today. I left my MC in rather a precarious position this evening :D

AnnieColleen
12-20-2006, 09:14 AM
634 today. This makes my patched-together document (pre-existing scenes + new narrator scenes) ~5700, plus I'm skipping pre-existing parts that will fit in later (dealing with characters narrator doesn't know about yet).

I'm surprised at how fast the redone version is going together; it felt like I'd be starting from scratch. I done good before! ;) :D

AnnieColleen
12-21-2006, 01:52 AM
526 today. Didn't quite finish the scene, but I'm on giftwrap duty today, so that's it for now.

At least I know what happens next.

WildScribe
12-21-2006, 03:15 AM
979 on my WIP... just... BOOM! Yay!

Also 1900 on various paid articles today, and I want to start thinking about ideas for a short story contest. My well feels dry... *sigh*

aadams73
12-21-2006, 03:24 AM
1500 today. I threw a big curve ball at my MC. Now she's really peeved. Which is a good thing ;)

kdnxdr
12-22-2006, 08:42 AM
You all are astounding!

I fell off the wagon and went procrastinating..........bummer.

Today I pecked out my 508 words and am happy that I wrote anything at all. However, my MC is sitting naked in a wingbacked chair rummaging through a sewing basket. I think I need a shrink.

AnnieColleen
12-22-2006, 09:09 AM
332 today -- expanding an old scene. Also adding on the next couple of pre-existing scenes to bring it to where the next new one needs to be (which is tomorrow's project.) And wrapping a couple dozen presents and a long family dinner and re-arranging the house for new arrivals later tonight, so I don't feel too bad.

Oh, and Miss Snark's affirmation that she likes my idea. :tongue Even if she doesn't think I can write a hook.

greglondon
12-22-2006, 10:40 AM
This month sucks. two family members died. I was puking my guts out with the flu for a while. Christmas bonuses were canceled. And my cat nearly died and had to go to the vet.

About all I got going for me right now is 740 words today.

greglondon
12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
a thousand words today.

AnnieColleen
12-23-2006, 10:33 AM
1441 today, plus editing in-between scenes. Hiding from relatives works! :tongue

WildScribe
12-23-2006, 11:47 AM
I got my 517 in yesterday (forgot to sign on and post it) but today I was sick as a dog and barely moved from bed. I'll be out of town for the next two days, but I'll bring my laptop and hopefully be productive.

aadams73
12-23-2006, 02:53 PM
700 yesterday, but it was a "half day" for me. Not too sure how I'll fare over the holidays.

Good Word
12-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Surprised to see me? I wrote a little over 500 words the day before yesterday. Nothing for yesterday, and today I'm traveling but will have the laptop with me. Please, someone zap me. I was editing a document for a business (med) client yesterday, and I had to laugh at the section on electroconvulsive therapy. Made me think of you all me.

JD Crayne: :Sun:Whatever did you do about the bloodstains on the walls?

Wildscribe::Sun:Nice going.

AnnieColleen: :Sun:Who the heck is Murphy? Is that the name of your muse? I read back in the thread, but didn't see the reference. :)

Greg: Boy, you have had a tough month. You get a double sun for sticking to your goals. Jeez. How are you for your year-end goal? :Sun::Sun:

Alex: :Sun:You are cranking. It's a tough month.

kdnxr: :Sun:For getting back on the wagon. I think I'll join you.

Hey Shrug, you poor dear. You still get a sun for all the effort. :Sun:If it's hard to sit up and write, what about reading? Anything on your reading list that you can get to? Give us a book recommendation if you feel like it.

I am going to be away for a few days, and not sure what my access will be like, but will check in if I can. I've got presents to deliver.

Sincerely,
Satan Santa

greglondon
12-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Please, someone zap me.

Greg: Boy, you have had a tough month. You get a double sun for sticking to your goals. Jeez. How are you for your year-end goal? :Sun::Sun:

zap

I'm a little bit behind schedule right now. I think I started in the beginning of October and am currently halfway through the book. The first part was a little hard, though, since it involved a lot more rewriting, completely new chapters, new scenes, new information. I'm at the middle of the book, and the main thing I'm doing now is flushing out passive voice stuff, keeping the POV tight to one character, and cutting any ragged edges, which is a bit easier. I have the rest of the year off, so I could concievably crank through it before the end of the month. Though I do have some christmassy stuff to do in there too. I'll change my signature on Jan 1 to indicate current status. Realistically, I think it might be closer towards the end of January, but maybe I'll get one of those christmas miracles.

Now, to go put up some fricken christmas lights....

AnnieColleen
12-23-2006, 10:43 PM
AnnieColleen: :Sun:Who the heck is Murphy? Is that the name of your muse? I read back in the thread, but didn't see the reference. :)
:) Murphy the Muse -- I like that! Seems fitting somehow.

The reference was to Murphy's law, whatever can go wrong will go wrong. I'd had a rotten day right after saying "If I'm not productive tomorrow someone kick me." So the next day I decided my goal was to be a bum, to see what could go wrong with that. It worked. :D

greglondon
12-24-2006, 06:02 AM
1,800 words today. I think I'm getting sick again. (cursing ensues).

total word count so far is 49,000. And I'm roughly half way to completion.

AnnieColleen
12-24-2006, 10:20 AM
No new words here, but another couple of scenes worked into the whole.

Good Word
12-24-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm officially taking the today and tomorrow off, although I might get biz stuff in.

Ho ho ho.

WildScribe
12-25-2006, 10:50 AM
I did 1000 yesterday to make up for Friday's illness, and managed 600 today despite 6 small children running around, lots of people, and a pulled muscle in my back. I need a nap, now.

aadams73
12-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Nearly 3000 today. I'll probably hit the big 3K later this evening. Can you tell we had a quiet Christmas? :D

Good Word
12-26-2006, 06:12 AM
:Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun: :Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun::Sun:

AnnieColleen
12-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Wow, now there's a Christmas!

I got 400 yesterday. Santa brought new Donna Andrews books, though, so absolutely none today (so far).

WildScribe
12-26-2006, 08:54 AM
Whew! Barely 500 today. So, where the hell does my story go from here? ARGH!

aadams73
12-27-2006, 04:29 AM
1100 words today. I'm having one of those days where my fingers keep hitting the wrong keys on the keyboard.

Inkdaub
12-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I spent all day...all damn day...in bed feeling sickish. I didn't write anything. Yesterday I stared at a WIP for a while and ordered some ideas that came to me earlier in the day...this thing is starting to get away from me. I also looked over a screenplay I am tempted to convert to prose.

greglondon
12-27-2006, 10:25 PM
a thousand words so far today.

As an aside, can I just add that this year's christmas sucked? I spent the day in the hospital. I'm OK, but after everything else sucky that happened in the last few weeks, this is some seriously nasty karma....

WildScribe
12-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I'm so BAD. Nothing yesterday, and nada so far today. I managed me word count on CHRISTMAS for god's sake!!

WildScribe
12-28-2006, 03:05 AM
1017 today to make up for yesterday. I wish I knew where to go next. *sigh*

AnnieColleen
12-28-2006, 03:17 AM
1017 today to make up for yesterday. I wish I knew where to go next. *sigh*

My brother always tells me to put in a big Viking battle.

I haven't taken him up on it yet!

aadams73
12-28-2006, 04:09 AM
1800 for me. I left my MC in an alley with her just-murdered ex boss. I figure I'll just leave her there all night to stew on it. ;)

greglondon
12-28-2006, 06:00 AM
hey another thousand words this afternoon/evening.

2,000 total for the day.

woot!

WildScribe
12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
Nice, all. You're positively blowing past 500! I vote that we continue this past December into next month. Make it a continuous thread. Who's with me???

AnnieColleen
12-28-2006, 11:27 AM
518 today. I know what scene comes next to edit, but it's after 1am, so that'll have to wait. There was a birthday party today, so I'm just happy with hitting 500.

I'd vote for a new monthly thread; this one is getting a little cumbersome.

AnnieColleen
12-29-2006, 09:44 AM
We're all mad here!

Only about 200 today, but that was in context of editing and integrating ~5 scenes that I already had. Tomorrow I'll have to write something new to get to the next 'dot'.

aadams73
12-30-2006, 03:54 AM
1400 words over the past two days. Plus a few words on my blog, which doesn't really count. My Better Half is still off work so I won't be getting fully back into the routine until Wednesday.

WildScribe
12-30-2006, 05:06 AM
657 yesterday. Still trying to get into it for today, and I have to leave soon, too.... GRR!

AnnieColleen
12-30-2006, 10:32 AM
792 today. Took me until just now. Not sure what the next scene is -- may need to be something new -- but I know what the one after that is.

Good Word
12-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Toads are such interesting creatures. It's so wierd that they can write!

I'm traveling, but got in some words yesterday--430ish.

aadams73
12-31-2006, 03:47 AM
Pretty good considering the traveling, GW!

I put in 1700 in on my WIP(now over the 30K mark) and a few on my blog. My hands are tired now so I'm quitting for the evening.

AnnieColleen
12-31-2006, 09:22 AM
584 on my WIP.

And playing with/posting another short story. (Shameless plug: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50397 if anyone wants to comment. ;))

aadams73
01-01-2007, 06:00 AM
1100 words today. Not stellar but I did have a really good nap this afternoon :D

AnnieColleen
01-01-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm working on a budget spreadsheet for 2007 (nothing like the last minute, huh!), so nothing today. But lots of numbers!

Good Word
01-01-2007, 11:56 PM
Do folks want to continue this for the new year? A Jan thread? Give me three votes yes and I'll start a fresh thread.

I have to say, as tough as December was for me, I would have accomplished even less had I not had this!

Mr. London, how are you on your year-end goal?

Where's JD?

AnnieColleen
01-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Yes. And ditto (re accomplishing less).

WildScribe
01-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Do folks want to continue this for the new year? A Jan thread? Give me three votes yes and I'll start a fresh thread.

I have to say, as tough as December was for me, I would have accomplished even less had I not had this!

Mr. London, how are you on your year-end goal?

Where's JD?

Yes!

WildScribe
01-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Okay, SO:

I was BAD on Friday, so I did over 1000 on Saturday to make up for it. Somewhere between 700-900 each day on Sun and Mon means that I have certainly made up for it. I was also travelling the whole time, sleeping on sofas and floors, so I don't feel bad at all.

(I made the mistake of teaching a 7-year-old about word count. Has anyone else tried to write while a child pulls on your arm and asks how many words you have now?)

aadams73
01-02-2007, 04:50 AM
YES! I definitely want to continue this. This thread(and all of you) are keeping me accountable :)

aadams73
01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
500 words yesterday. But I did spend the whole afternoon ironing and the whole morning sitting in the hair stylist's chair.(ooooh pretty highlights!)