PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Words Pledge

Pages : [1] 2

smiley10000
12-01-2006, 03:33 PM
We have a submission pledge.
We have a rejection pledge.

But what about those of us that aren't there yet?

So here it is! What you have all been waiting for to get yourself BICing.
THE GRAND AND EXCITING DAILY WORDCOUNT PLEDGE

Just sign up right here with your daily word count goal and drop it in your signature for everyone to see.

I found that NaNo gave me the support to get me writing everyday. So now I want to bring that into the rest of the year.

I don't care how many words you pledge. If you want to write one Haiku that's fine. Maybe you want to aim for the magic 2000 words; super! Just make sure it is realistic and that you stick to it.

I am handing out virtual prizes to everyone that participates and sticks to their goal.

Good luck, and get BICing!
:e2BIC:10000

smiley10000
12-01-2006, 03:36 PM
Let me start off.

I pledge to write 750 words a day.

:)10000

Kudra
12-01-2006, 04:25 PM
I submit and get rejected and everything in between, but hell, I want to play too!

I'll start with 500 words a day.

KTC
12-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I pledge to write 1600 words today. Why? Because I have deadlines looming for 2 - 800 word articles. Pledging to do it today may actually entice me to do it today. Thanks.

Bubastes
12-01-2006, 05:29 PM
I wanna play! Let me think about what I want my goal to be. Would a weekly word goal be okay too?

Cath
12-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Since my writing time varies from day to day, I pledge to write 10,000 words a week.

Good Word
12-02-2006, 06:19 AM
I think the consensus is for now that we'll leave them as is and folks can post where they like/have been comfortable. There are other similar sorts of threads in a couple of the other forums.

The point is to write, right? Whichever works for you. Post here, post here, hell, post in both, I don't care. (that sorta rhymed, heh)

Maybe we can have a duel at some point...mwahahahaha and pick teams. (Oh, I have such wicked, wicked ideas.)

I love that these threads exist.

Write away,

Lisa

Soccer Mom
12-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Hmmm, I did 2K a day for NaNo, but some days I actually did 4 and some I did none. I'll say that I commit to 8K a week. Aw, heck. I can do 10K a week. That's reasonable. I've only written 1K today. Better get busy :)

Riddler
12-02-2006, 07:39 AM
I pledge to write thirteen words today (if I can find the time).

KiwiChick
12-02-2006, 09:59 AM
I pledge to write 2,000 words per week. Should I pledge a rate of deletion from the WIP I'm editing too? :)

KiwiChick

Bartholomew
12-02-2006, 01:31 PM
I pledge one (1) word per day.

brunoshouse
12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Count me in! I Pledge to write 750 words a day.

smiley10000
12-02-2006, 08:23 PM
:e2cheer: Keep those pledges coming guys! :e2cheer:

I am happy to see everyone diving right in.
http://www.cookies-etc.com/images/largecookies/homecookiestack.jpg Cookies for everyone that has joined so far.

KitKat --> That's a great start. Let's see how you do with building up those articles.

KTC --> I hope you made yesterday's goal. 1,600 words can be tough on a Friday...

MeowGirl --> Weekly goals are words too. And a very good idea. Think up a number that is not too daunting and dive right in!

Cath --> Wow! 10,000 words a week? We'll be watching how all you big goal people do... I may have to get you something yummire than cookies...

I_Shrugged and Good Word --> thanks for not merging. I don't want anyone to feel they have to choose a specific number (like 500) and I thought if it was here in the roundtable people would know it is open to everyone (I know many other threads are, but when their hidden in the genre sections it can be pretty daunting to join)

SoccerMom --> You can do 10k. I know it after watchign you sail through NaNo without breaking a sweat! Keep us updated on how it goes...

Riddler --> 13 is better than none... And if you see you can do that, maybe you can eventually build up to 42. ;)

KiwiChick --> 2,000 is a steep goal! I am impressed with your daring. Now get writing!

Bartholomew --> I am going to watch you long and hard for that one word. And it better be a good one! No articles allowed for your pledge!

brunoshouse --> you're in and we're happy to have you! 750, seemed like a safe number to me as well.

Come 'on? Who else is up for the challenge?
By the way... Thread mascot is:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Jul-21-Mon-2003/photos/dory.jpg
Because you have to remember to:
Just keep writing, just keep writing...

Kudra
12-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Did 500 words today. Half of a personal essay. Might become part of a larger piece. Or not. Point is, I wrote. And it ain't half-bad either.

(The number of words in these posts, counts, right? RIGHT? :tongue )

lauram
12-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Woah, I might as well get crazy and go for 10,000 a week too. Although I am not on track to meet my last pledge: the rejection pledge. :( The year isn't over yet!

Laura

Poetic Pen
12-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Any extra motivation works for me. Since I'm writing and editing, I pledge to write 500 new words every day.

Victoria

allion
12-02-2006, 10:19 PM
All right, I'm in. 1000 words a day, or 7000/week. My mileage may vary.

(Crap, now what have I done?)

I had to join now that Dory is our mascot.

I'll figure out how to alter my sig line later...

Karen

Bartholomew
12-03-2006, 03:42 AM
One word is seriously my minimum. If I sit in front of the paper for an hour and write one good, solid word that fits, I'm happy, because I've usually spent that hour thinking about where the story should go.

:)

Bubastes
12-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Okay, here we go. *deep breath*

I pledge to write 2500 words a week. It may not sound like much to some people, but it's a lot more than I'm producing now.

Good luck, everyone!

ModoReese
12-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Funny, I was just thinking about this today after failing miserably at NaNoWriMo (and then writing furiously during every conference call I've had at work the past two days), so I'll step up as well:

I pledge to write 500 words a day.

I think this is also my 50th post, woo-hoo!

Michelle

Sean D. Schaffer
12-03-2006, 09:28 AM
I think I will do this daily word pledge. One caveat, however: I don't write on Saturdays.

Aside from that, I will make my goal a nice 250 words each day of the six remaining throughout the week.

That is one typewritten page, double-spaced, with one-inch margins.

I look forward to telling you all how I am doing.

ShannonC_77
12-03-2006, 11:06 AM
I need all the motivation I can get at this point... so I'm in too. :)

I'll pledge for 1500 on my fiction piece right now and then another 1500 for non-fiction work, whether it's my book or else online website articles. (although depending on my mood that may all get transfered to one genre).

Either way, the goal is minimum 3000 per day.

smiley10000
12-03-2006, 11:09 AM
:Clap:Keep those pledge's coming! You guys are awesome! :Clap:

KitKat! You did it! One day at a time and you'll be churning out those words in no time. Here have some virtual jewelry fro your efforts:
http://auntiestreasures.com/images/Sterling-Silver-Five-Round-Cubic-Zirconia-Band-Ring-cr-dce-cfaw.jpg
It ain't real... but maybe we can upgrade as the days of writing flow by...

LauraM --> You can do this pledge. By a Dory (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=dory&category0=) off of Ebay hang it up by your BICing spot and Just Keep Writing...

Poetic Pen --> A good goal. We're watching you! You can do it!

allion --> there is no better motivator than an annoying blue fish :D

Bartholomew --> If it gets you writing that's most important.

MeowGirl --> Every word is a word. And every goal is a goal. Better to have a goal within reach than one that is unattainable so that you give up without even a trying... Write those 2,500/week and we'll be proud.

Michelle --> 500 words signed in blood. No turning back now. You're up to 50 posts and have made a pledge; you're stuck with us for life. ;)

Ian --> glad to see you jumping in here. It's great to have a day off. One page is a good goal. If it keeps you writing, that's all that matters.

I'm off to do my words for the day...
Until next time,
Just keep writing, just keep writing...
:e2writer:10000

Kudra
12-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Yay! I LOVE rings. *wonders which one to take off to make room for the new one*

Getting started on today's words in 3... 2... 1...

Soccer Mom
12-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Okay, got nothing done over the weekend. (slumber party. at my house. Need I say more?)

But I've gotten half of today's quota. I'm getting there.

Bubastes
12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Yay for you, Soccer Mom! My week started today, and I've already written half my day's quota as well. I can't believe how quickly the "this sucks beyond belief" feeling comes in for me, though. I must resist the urge to hit the delete key. Fix it in the rewrite...fix it in the rewrite....

Soccer Mom
12-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Don't delete it, Meow. You can't judge yet if it sucks or not. Keep going. Sometimes it will surprise you.

smiley10000
12-05-2006, 01:15 AM
The weekend is always tough, Soccer_mom. I find it the hardest time to stay on top of my writing.

Today has been great so far. I was an hour early for a job interview so I sat in the lobby and wrote. I got over a thousand words without breaking a sweat...

that's two days where I have made my quota :hooray:

Hope about all of you?

:welcome: Jadezuki,
500 is a good daily goal. You never know when life may get in the way of more important things...
:D10000

Kudra
12-05-2006, 01:23 AM
I wrote about 200 yesterday. Tried and tried and tried, but nothing came.

Today, out of nowhere, a 700-word essay came out fully-formed. Go figure.

Cav Guy
12-05-2006, 01:46 AM
I'll stick with writing something I'm proud of every day...be that one word or 1000.

Soccer Mom
12-05-2006, 02:33 AM
Ouch. That's too much pressure for me. There's no guarantee that I'll write anything worthwhile. Besides, I can't always judge at the time I'm doing it. It's only later when I have a little distance that I can judge if I should be proud or hit the delete button.

Bubastes
12-05-2006, 02:50 AM
Ouch. That's too much pressure for me. There's no guarantee that I'll write anything worthwhile. Besides, I can't always judge at the time I'm doing it. It's only later when I have a little distance that I can judge if I should be proud or hit the delete button.

Yep, same here. I may not start out with writing I'm proud of, but I nearly always end up with it.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Sorry about not reporting my progress, but I'm not sure when we're supposed to do so. Is it every day? Or may I report once every couple days?

I did a chapter of writing on one manuscript each day since I began this pledge, and I did 1.5 pages of vignette writing this morning. My total today of new writing is roughly 350 words. My total writing altogether for the last, what, three days, would equal roughly 6,000 or possibly 7,000 words. I did not make an exact count, so I do not know the proper number. I know I did at least 6,000 words, though.

san_remo_ave
12-05-2006, 04:36 AM
I'll participate, too!

I pledge to write 2500 words a week.

Soccer Mom
12-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Mustn't let this thread slip down! how is everyone doing on word count? I hope to be at 6 or 7K on the week by the end of the day. It's not all deathless prose, but it's there in black and white.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-06-2006, 08:24 PM
This morning, I haven't written anything. But that's just because I only got up a few minutes ago and haven't had my coffee yet.

Yesterday I wrote my 1-page vignette, and another chapter in my present WIP's Third Draft. I found out the superiority of dialogue and action over an infodump, and thus have added several pages of new writing to the work.

Altogether, I think I did roughly 3,000 words yesterday. I am very happy with what I have accomplished, and I hope to get more cool stuff accomplished today.

Kudra
12-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I'd like to write something I'm proud of every day as well, but darn, that's way too much pressure! I already have trouble getting started. So I'll stick to the unworthy 500 words that no one will ever be allowed to see. :)

Ian, 3,000 words is great progress. This is a brand new novel, right?

Cav Guy, did you get any writing done in the past few days?

Soccer Mom, do you write fiction too?

As for me, no writing yesterday. Did edit and revise though. Just getting started today.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-06-2006, 08:59 PM

The WIP I mentioned is the Third Draft of a novel I've been working on for some time now. The reason I mentioned it in connection with new writing, is that I changed the chapter I worked on yesterday so substantially, that much of the writing is brand-new stuff.

However, I've been working on this novel for roughly six months.

I hope this helps. :)

ETA:
I am going to be working on a new Erotica novel, though, probably within the next few weeks. It will be a brand-new piece; right now I'm in the process of making the outlines for it.

Kudra
12-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Actually, I was a bit confused, because in another thread you mentioned that you were no longer working on Promised World, so I figured this must be new.

Arisa81
12-07-2006, 12:26 AM
I'll join too! I pledge to write 700 words/day.
Weekends are different for me, I don't get much writing done, but I pledge to start writing a little more during weekends. I'll see what happens and take it from there.

SomethingCatchy
12-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I'll join.

5000 words a day of fiction, which is what I'm doing currently. That's about 2 to 3 hours a day for me. I only do 1000 words on Saturdays and Sundays though.

I go that speed out of necessity more than anything. If I go any slower I start to think what I'm writing sucks, and I end up scrapping the project. Also, I don't stay as connected to the work. I like to fully immerse myself in something and get it out as quick as I can before I lose it.

The downside: I end up cutting out 20 to 30% of everything I write.

smiley10000
12-07-2006, 12:51 AM
:e2cheer: WoW! I disappear for one day and it looks like everyone's work is really taking off! :e2cheer: Ian, you may report whenever you wish. Think of this thread as a support system for the writer's blocked and a place for celebration for the successful.

Ian/Sean/Dragon --> You are on fire! Keep those words coming. The Pledge Police are very hungry...http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n73/smiley10000/pacman.jpg

KitKat --> Don't beat yourself up for the missed day you made it up wonderfully on the next! I am also finding it hard to get my word count perfect everyday... I think all those weekly goal people had the right idea! Keep up the great work!

sanremoave --> :welcome: to the party! A worthy pledge. I wish you the best of luck! Keep up updated on how you do....

CavGuy --> We're watching you... are you proud of what you've written today? You have made a pledge and it's in blood, there is no turning back now...we will hunt you down in the great wide AW forums [insert evil laugh here] http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n73/smiley10000/boy-proud.gif

Well, keep at it guys.. I am off to try and get myself out of the rut I am in...
Just keep writing. Just keep writing...
:Hug2:10000

Bubastes
12-07-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm cooking along toward my weekly goal, which is a miracle considering the crazy week I've had at work. Yes, I CAN sustain a narrative in 10 minute spurts (carrying my laptop everywhere helps)! Yet more proof that "no time to write" is no longer an acceptable excuse for me.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Celia Cyanide
12-07-2006, 12:58 AM
This many!

:hooray:

smiley10000
12-07-2006, 12:58 AM
Oh, you guys posted while I was posting!

Arisa81 --> :welcome: to the pledge. You've signed in blood there's no turning back. Keep us updated on how you do... The weekend is a tough time for a lot of people...

SomethingCatchy --> I hope your writing speed is catching! I wish I could churn out the words at that pace! You get a prize for having the largest pledge. http://www.casadeparadise.com/activities_files/fish.jpg I hope you like fish! This one's "the big one".

Good luck with your pledges and keep us updated on your progress.

For now, here's some chocolate to keep Soccermom writing ;)10000
http://k41.pbase.com/u44/andrewross/upload/28581136.selfportraitmedprint.jpg

Kudra
12-07-2006, 02:09 AM
Welcome, April! We're going to hold you to the count you know, you lazy woman, you!

SomethingCatchy: :Hail: Cutting's good. Great, even. But I'm still surprised you're so productive each day. Way to go! Oh, and welcome. :)

Smiley, you taskmaster, where's your progress report? Yeah, weekly might be a good idea, but I find that on a daily goal, I try harder. As long as it averages out, I'm happy. And I won't jump off the building or anything if I skip a day or two. I think I'll be taking the weekends off, too. Recharge and stuff.

Way to go Jadezuki!

I wrote 1,000 today. So balanced it out with the big fat 0 of yesterday. I also write everyday in my journal, but I don't really count those words.

Good luck with your goals everyone!

Sean D. Schaffer
12-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Actually, I was a bit confused, because in another thread you mentioned that you were no longer working on Promised World, so I figured this must be new.

That's quite all right, KitKat. I was referring to the work For Those Who Believe, which is coming along pretty decently right now. I just finished Chapter 16 of the work's Third Draft, and I've added another two pages to the manuscript length. Where, in the 2nd Draft, the work is at Page 162, in the Third Draft it's at Page 195. I'm very happy that I've made this work. It might very well end up at 90,000 words in this draft, and this isn't even the final version yet.

I hope you have a good rest-of-the-week. Talk to you later.

Spirit_Fire
12-07-2006, 03:34 AM
I pledge to write a measly 2500 per week.

I only hope I don't get to the end of the week and have to write it all in one day! (I always leave things to the last minute). But I know if I had a daily goal, there would be many days where I wouldn't reach it, because some days I write heaps, and some days only a few scraps.

smiley10000
12-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Spirit Fire --> :welcome: to the thread! Always happy to have new victims-I mean pledgers! You have signed in blood now get writing! Be proud of your pledge. 2500/week is a good number. I see you put it in you sig so your off to a great start :D

KitKat --> I'm a taskmaster am I? :whip: Well then you better get writing! :whip: I am so busy watching all of your progress that I have no time for my own ;)

No, I am moving along. I am in the middle of a short story right now and trying to finish up my NaNo WIP... Without the NaNo push though I am finding it rather difficult...

I'm going to try writing once the baby goes for her nap...
Just Keep Writing!

Cav Guy
12-07-2006, 05:52 PM
I'd like to write something I'm proud of every day as well, but darn, that's way too much pressure! I already have trouble getting started. So I'll stick to the unworthy 500 words that no one will ever be allowed to see. :)

Cav Guy, did you get any writing done in the past few days?

Soccer Mom, do you write fiction too?

As for me, no writing yesterday. Did edit and revise though. Just getting started today.

Yep. Been doing about 500-1000 words per day, but on a mix of projects (which is my normal style). But that's all done in my 1-2 hour writing blocks.

J.S Greer
12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I pledge 1000 words per day. Lofty, I know, but dammit its more than feasible.:tongue

Sean D. Schaffer
12-07-2006, 09:01 PM
I wrote another 2400 words yesterday, in a revision that I posted to another site for critique.

I haven't written anything yet today, if only because I never do until my fingers and brain are appropriately awake. As I've only one cup of coffee, I am, needless to say, not sure of myself right now.

NCRomanceWriter
12-07-2006, 10:45 PM
OK, I'll play. I pledge to write 250 words per day/1250 per week. That way when I am busier more days than others I can still stay on track.

Soccer Mom
12-08-2006, 01:13 AM
So far, I've done nothing today except work. Sigh. I just keep putting out fires and new ones spring up. Soon I'm off for two weeks. I'm holding myself to 25K for the two weeks. It'll be like a mini-NaNo and hopefully finish my novel.

Kudra
12-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Did 1,000 words today. Tired. *Yawn.* Going to bed now. (It's 3 a.m. my time.)

Have a productive day, y'all!

smiley10000
12-08-2006, 02:50 AM
YAY! Finished my short. It is 4,500 words. The top limit for the market I wrote it for is 5,000 so I think I want to try and get it down to 4k on Sunday.

I'm so glad to see everyone signing in overhear. Keep those pledges coming! I have chocolate cheesecake for your enjoyment today:
http://www.mydigitalkitchen.com/pic/rec/33.jpg By the way, Ian, just for you it has coffee in it too!

CavGuy --> Good work! Keep writing those words to be proud of! I gave KitKat jewelry but I don't know what guys like... Are you into sports or geek stuff? Well, pick your ball and enjoy:http://www.funroom.com/store/images/products/partyfavors/sportsballsmed.gif

J.S. Greer --> Great pledge! We'll be watching you so keep us updated on how you do.

Jadezuki and Ian and Soccermom --> If you fall off that bike, get more coffee and get right back on it... :e2bike2: You can do it. Get those fingers on those keyboards (do typewriters have keyboards or are they called something else?...hmmmm)

NCRomanceWriter --> :welcome: to the thread. You've signed in blood so I hope your ready to fufill your pledge. It's better to start with a small goal and work your way up. Eventually we'll all be as good as SomethingCatchy...

KitKat --> I hope your already asleep! I am on my way to bed too!...

Have a great day everyone...
Just Keep Writing. Just Keep Writing...
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n73/smiley10000/nemo-dory.jpg10000

NCRomanceWriter
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I'll take a bit of that cheesecake as well.... :) Managed to hit my 250 for yesterday.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone,

Yesterday was a very good day for me. I finally ended up finishing Chapter 17 of my WIP. At 11 pages long it brings me to 3,000 words total yesterday... this includes the vignette I wrote yesterday morning.

That chocolate cheesecake looks mighty good. May I have some?

:D

Bubastes
12-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Woo hoo, I reached my weekly goal and it's not even Sunday night yet! Does this mean I should increase my weekly goal to 3000 words?

ETA: Oooh, I'd love a sliver of that cheesecake, please!

Sean D. Schaffer
12-09-2006, 09:45 AM
I made my goal today...

And that's all I made. I did not work on my WIP today, sadly. However, I did work on my morning Vignette which, using the 250 method, comes to 250 words.

But I did accomplish getting a Christmas tree today, and it even lights up.

Other than that, though, no writing with the exception of the base goal of 250 words.

At least I made the minimum, and that's good.

Kudra
12-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I made my goal yesterday as well. I'm taking the weekend off. Not totally off, but won't commit to a word count. I think I might revise the work I did throughout the week, and maybe even send some of it out.

Have a great weekend everyone!

(Oh, and the cake was delicious. Mmmm.)

smiley10000
12-10-2006, 02:37 AM
I'm glad you all enjoyed the cake! :e2cheer: Keep on writing, ya'll are doing great! :e2cheer:

I didn't get many new words down today. The weekend is tough. I think I may join all of you on the weekly goals. It may work better for me...

MeowGirl, feel free to increase, but it may be best to try another week and see how you do...

Just keep writing!
I'll see ya'll later...
:Sun:10000

Soccer Mom
12-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the cheesecake! (and the sports equipment. I took one of the soccer balls to play with.) I need to sign off and write.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Today was my day off, so I didn't write anything; I mostly slept.

However, this evening I have begun work on the chapter I was supposed to be working on yesterday. I have so far written 1,000 words (translated, that's four pages) of my chapter, and I still have at least 12 pages of the old manuscript to go before I finish it.

I imagine that, since I am putting these words toward my Sunday goal--long story, and I don't really want to go into it here--I should have myself some serious work done by the end of my work day.

NCRomanceWriter
12-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Wandered in to see if there is any leftover cheesecake - I need a chocolate fix. :) . It looks like I will be a "weekends off" type. There is just too much to do with the holidays and all. I am still playing with idea of getting up early and doing some writing. We shall see.

ModoReese
12-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Ok, checking in... haven't added my sig yet, but we'll say the 500/words a day has been tough..... I have to admit to cutting it short some days and tacking in on the next day. I do know a good chunk of what I'm writing is weaker than I'd like, but I'm making a point of committing to sheer words to get into practice again... soooo painfully out of practice...

I keep telling myself this is what first drafts are for!!

Michelle

Lady Cat
12-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I find I've been really slacking off since NaNo ended. The motivation just isn't there. So I hereby pledge 500 words of fiction a day. I say fiction specifically so I don't wimp out and count talking on MSN or chatting at work (I do order fulfillment in a chat room).

Once I can afford to stop working so much overtime I think about upping my pledge, but for now 500 words is pretty reasonable for me.

smiley10000
12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Welcome Lady Cat! Have a mouse:http://www.mickey-mouse.com/images/mainmick2.gif
500 words is a good pledge to start with. I am havign the same issues with NaNo Ending Blues... Give yourself some time and just keep trying to write...
I figure eventually I should be able to really get writing again...

I have been trying. My muse wouldn't let me sleep last night and I found myself writing poetry(!) at 2am...I think it turned out pretty good... I may let it sit a little and try and sub it next week...

Just keep writing guys!
And when you finish your word count for the day, enjoy some of this!http://www.towerbanquets.ca/DesertTable-04.jpg

Bubastes
12-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Hello, Lady Cat! Glad to see another kitty here! :D

Smiley, that is one heck of a dessert buffet. If that doesn't motivate, nothing will.

Well, I reset my weekly counter to 0 this morning. Here we go again. Good luck with your goals, everyone!

Soccer Mom
12-11-2006, 07:48 PM
So far at 1400 for todays count. I reset my weekly goal to zero on Sunday.

Quite a spread there Smiley! Thanks.

Meow: Good luck with todays goal.

Lady cat: Welcome to another NaNoer in exile. :D

Chasing the Horizon
12-12-2006, 05:49 AM
I'll pledge 12,000 words a week. Not going to do daily, since every now and then I have a day I am just not in the mood to write. It's Monday, so I think I'll get started right now. :)

Sean D. Schaffer
12-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Today I wrote ten pages of my manuscript, making for roughly 2,500 words. I did not, however, write my morning vignette.

Still, 2,500 words in a day, compared to my daily goal of 250 words, is pretty decent work. I'm glad I was able to accomplish this.

Is there any dessert left, or did you people eat it all already?

crazynance
12-12-2006, 08:56 AM
okay, I'm pledging: 250 words per day. This counts outline! Since I have to build up the sequel characters so they can stand alone.

It's going to be tough sledding with Christmas coming, parties and sulking and whatnot... what? Am I the only Christmas sulker? It's more that I get too compressed around a lot of people, and then I need my alone time. With a laptop, hehehe.. That's about 2 good paragraphs, right? Doable.

Lady Cat
12-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh, I like this CrazyNance. You keep me talking all night on MSN so I fall short of my word count pledge, then you pledge a measely 250 words!

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Not only that, you spent half the time bouncing ideas off me!! Argh! No MSN tonight until I make my word count!

I have definitely got to find more books for you to read! **Lady Cat vows to search out "must reads" from her book shelves when she gets home tonight**

smiley10000
12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
:welcome: Hope. A brave pledge! 12,000 words in a week. Get to it. We want to see how you do!

:welcome:crazynance. 250 is a good start whatever gets you infornt of the computer/typewrite/paper is something to be proud of. Get those words out and no throwin LadyCat off track ;).

Here, prizes for everyone that gets their words down today...
http://www.geocities.com/queen_neffertiti/christmas/presents.jpg

Just Keep Writing...
:TheWave:10000

ATP
12-12-2006, 04:31 PM
[eyebrows raised, rueful expression in voice]

...Yes, this bodes well for you 'creatives', but er...not much help for the 'pure play' journalists here ie. non-fiction articles.

Write, write, write the amount you pledged...

Kudra
12-12-2006, 06:05 PM
What about personal essays, ATP? Or to clear your head? Or to meet a deadline? Or for pitches? That stellar lead counts as written words, ya know.

I'm a journalist mostly, pure or impure, I don't know. Impure, I'd think, because I don't do hard-hitting news, more like "soft" features. But all non-fiction. And I'm not on a daily deadline.

I do write personal essays. I start them off for me, but they end up being rewritten to death, and I do eventually send them out. In my "downtime" I do a lot of personal writing. Hence my daily goal.

I'm here to report though, that an editor is interested in seeing tons of research on an idea I pitched recently, so I'm going back into research mode for this week. I'll be writing, but not really counting words.

Good luck with your goals everyone! I'll check in every now and then.

ModoReese
12-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Hmmm, perhaps when I flip back over to researching my non-fiction proposal, I can count 500 words as 500 words in research notes? Interviews? Pitches to agents? (ok, the last one was pushing it).

Michelle <--- so far successful in her pledge... but just barely.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Hello everyone,

I have some good news today. I have written ten pages of manuscript and am presently thinking about how to write from there. I started on Page 220 and stopped on the very beginning of Page 230. I have taken the present page out of the typewriter, because I don't want it to stick itself into a round form around the platen. But presently, Page 230 has one character on it, which is the '#' sign required by many editors to indicate a scene break.

If I use the 250 method, I come up with roughly 2,500 words done so far today.

However, I have not done my daily vignette, which kind of ticks me off. But I usually do the vignette in the morning, as I just get up. Since these last few days I've had part of a manuscript wrapped around the platen on my typewriter, I have not taken the time to remove the paper and put in a clean sheet for the vignette.

But I can honestly say I have reached and surpassed my daily goal. Cool.

I'll talk to you all later, and I hope you have a good week.

crazynance
12-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Argggghhhh, Lady Cat, you do plot to throw me off track! Lending me a laptop and sending me game links, lending me books so I'll read instead of write! Arrrggghhh.. *gives the squinty Pirate look* *shakes fist* Tonight I thrashed about trying to navigate AW and find this thread... cuz I'm a NEWB- that's why. And I still haven't written anything, so I have 20 minutes! Akkk! *whips open notepad.... Latuh!

glassquill
12-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I shall pledge to write *grabs a calculator* 750 words a day. That seems about just right.

Successful completion of daily quota shall be rewarded with dark chocolate. :D Failure shall be punished by being repeatedly poked in the ribs with long rubber pencils by random people until said quota is completed. :poke: (Not good for the ticklish)

smiley10000
12-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Glassquill! That's a great pledge... only dark chocolate? Wow, you like the real stuff!

CrazyNance-->you'll get used to this place soon enough. It's big and it's easy to get lost... AW is probably my #1 procrastinating tool ;)

Good luck everyone in your writing!
Yesterday I got out almost 2,000 words and it felt good! I might be over that post-nano hump because I am excited about my work again. The climax is just over the horizon...

Just keep writing...or we'll keep poking
:poke:10000

glassquill
12-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Yes, Smiley. I adore dark chocolate, the darker the better. Caffeine and chocolate are a writer's best friend. And now, to earn my daily chocolate reward.

:e2writer:

crazynance
12-14-2006, 05:52 AM
I got up to 975 words in just 2 nights! squeee! And when I went to help my husband pick his new glasses [he'll be able to see, no excuse not to read my book now!], the salesgirl listened to me describe my book, and she not only wants to read it, she wants to go to the club I invented! hahaah!

glassquill
12-14-2006, 05:58 AM
That's great, crazynance. :hooray: Keep it up. It looks to me as though you've got something good going.

crazynance
12-14-2006, 08:37 AM
This is fuuuunnnn! I am writing character descriptions and what I think they are going to get up to, so I think it will be easier to put this story together. Mwahaha! Someone is going to go crazy! I'm not sure how many words it was, but there are pages accumulating; I'll have to put it to the counter tomorrow. Goodnight!

Spirit_Fire
12-15-2006, 02:15 AM
Ok, time to check in!

Last night, at the end of my week, I had written 2650 words, just over my weekly pledge of 2500.

I know it's not much, but if I do the same every week, I should be able to finish a first draft in a year or two.
:banana:

Most of my writing time was wasted on procrastination, and I wrote most of my 2500 over a couple of days, so I thought about raising my pledge, but I think I'll keep it at 2500 for a little while. If I can consistently beat it, then I'll raise the bar.

Chasing the Horizon
12-15-2006, 04:55 AM
My weeks a little more than half over and I'm just over halfway done my word count. Everything would seem to be in order. :)

Sean D. Schaffer
12-15-2006, 04:59 AM
Only 250 words today. I wrote my vignette; that's it.

I have been doing a lot of research, though, just not on the subject of my story...

verbie
12-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Yeah! Accountability!!! Okay, I'm in! I need to focus on my novel and on the other (short fiction, articles, copywriting) stuff. I push my novel back too often to do the other stuff, 'cause I'm stuck right now on the novel. Takes deep breath. Okay, here goes:

I pledge to write 1,000 words per day (six days) on my novel.
I pledge to write 2,000 words per day (six days) on the $$$$ stuff.

Whew! I'm in it now, aren't I??? :) Verbie

Chasing the Horizon
12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Wow, I thought I was ambitious. :) I'm sure you can do it.

crazynance
12-17-2006, 08:16 AM
*from where she stands in the corner..*
I kinda just had 2 nights off: we had 2 Christmas parties in a row. One night involved too many Vodka and Lime drinks.. and the next was also a write-off...
I am writing now, honest, I have 40 minutes left!

crazynance
12-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Whew! that was close.. got a new character!

Beyondian
12-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Hmm, I've been having trouble writing (New job, early mornings, tired evenings), so this looks like a good thing to keep me on track.
I pledge to write at least 500wds a day on one of my novels (not both novels together)
I also pledge to finish at least one chapter from either novel a week.

smiley10000
12-17-2006, 02:13 PM
:hooray: New victims, I mean pledgers...

verbie--> welcome to the insanity. A brave pledge. don't even thinnk about backing out now. And no, AWposts don't count :tongue.

Beyondian --> we'll try to keep you in line over here :whip: You'll be finished both your WIPs in no time... or we'll be whipping you ;)

Nance, we'll forgive your failure this time...it's tough with all the parties. I'm having a little Chanukah family thing tonight and don't know how things will go... As long as you pick yourself back up and keep going... like riding a bicycle :e2bike2:

Enjoy the weekend... and all you week pledge people, I hope your ready to restart your counters...
:poke:10000

Chasing the Horizon
12-17-2006, 11:45 PM
Yay, I met my goal with a whole day to spare. :D
Of course, 2,000 words of that was me completely re-doing the outline for my third book, but outlining counts right?

Beyondian
12-18-2006, 12:07 AM
I've finished my goal for today. Think I might have to up the ante. (It's 9:00am over here) but I'll try it at this level for a week first.

ModoReese
12-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Was pointedly told at work I was "only" working 45 hours a week right now, and need to increase to "at least" 50. That really hurt the writing time this week.... trying to make up for it on the weekend, but that was supposed to be for sleep. :(

I'm not giving up yet, going to sit down tonight and make up for lost words (sadly, am working remotely even now).

Good thing I got the Christmas shopping done early.....

M

allion
12-18-2006, 03:53 AM
Checking in to say the last three days have sucked much and I have done precisely ZERO words since Thursday.

First was Friday, when I said I work some overtime and then my computer dropped and died at work. Hour or so spent trying to get my connection back up just burned my boots. Nothing done there. Exhaustion from a long work week set in.

Saturday, more overtime and errands. Love the holiday season. Zip writing done, brain fried. I didn't even check my email at home, which I usually do religiously.

Sunday - yet more holiday chores (decorating, the usual stuff like laundry, and I still have to write out Christmas cards) so there goes today. And I slept in because of brain frying on the day before, so there went my hope for a productive morning.

Sigh. Tomorrow will be better. I won't have overtime, and the holiday chores will be done. And I have holidays to look forward to the week after, so I can write lots. I hope.

Things had been going so well.

Karen

Sean D. Schaffer
12-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Going through a lot of life changes right now, but I am still keeping up on my writing.

Which reminds me: I have a chapter to write today...

I'll get back to you all later tonight, if I can, with a good report.

ETA:
Well, my good report is now in.

500 words today, in the form of a two-page vignette. That is twice my daily goal, and though it is not the massive amount that I had been doing, it is still good.

:hooray:

Bubastes
12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Yay! I reached my weekly word count last night. My short story is becoming longer and more detailed than I had planned, but I think it's better because of it.

I will not be setting a goal this week because of the holiday craziness, both at work and at home. I'm sure I'll still be writing something, though (it's becoming a wonderful habit!). I'm glad to see that people are moving toward their own goals. Good luck, everyone!

Beyondian
12-19-2006, 12:23 AM
Update on yesterday (Monday). The final word count was 1,980 words for that day.
So far, i've got 286wds written today. If I can match yesterday's work, I should be finished this book in no time at all (as Audrey Hepburn would say)

ETA: I use too many parenthesis, don't I?

Chasing the Horizon
12-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Seeing as I really effortlessly met my goal last week, and that I have ideas for two other trilogies after I finish this one, I am going to raise my goal to 15,000 words a week. I'm also going to add a goal of editing 15,000 words a week as well. If I don't do that I'll have a really god-awful mess of unedited stuff I've never even read when I get done. :D
Oh, and congrats to everyone who met their goals last week. :)

smiley10000
12-19-2006, 02:34 AM
I think we all need a pick me up... (except for Hope and Beyondian who are showing the rest of us up!)
So here it is:
http://www.vibride.com/images/article/1/490.jpg

Now that we're good and sloshed maybe we can get some writing done...

next week
:Headbang:10000

Don't ask...I'm lost in edit land and I am to blah to write new stuff...I'll blame it on Chanukah, yeah, that's it...

Sean D. Schaffer
12-19-2006, 03:08 AM
I wrote a vignette today, 250 words, and trunked a novel. The only reason I can give here for trunking my novel is 'personal reasons'.

I am actually thinking about starting work on short stories exclusively for the time being. Every time I put a novel together, a lot of things I do not believe in any more creep into the works. So I am going to start writing short stories, most likely within the Erotica genre, although I might come up with a Fantasy idea every so often. It seems to me that the Fantasy I write is what is causing me the most trouble.

Further, I do not really know my grammar as well as I should. I think that short stories will help me to learn my grammar more effectively when writing fiction. This will help me in the long run when I decide to go back to writing novels again.

benbradley
12-19-2006, 03:36 AM
I'm a little late getting here, OTOH this thread predates me getting here by five days. Anyway, here's my pledge (how many words for that kewl NPR coffee mug?)...

I pledge one (1) word per day.
I pledge to write one hundred times this many words per day. I think I can do it, I really think so!

So it's "A hundred pounds of clay" - no, that's an old song that came to mind... my pledge is a hundred words a day!

crazynance
12-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Beyondian- Is it possible to use too many parentheses? [I mean, really!, how would anyone know what we really meant without them?] (Then again, we'd have to trust our readers to make the correct inferences..)
Oh yes, I'm a little parenthetically challenged - ^_^ heehee!

Smiley- Maseltov! Happy Chanukah!

I am determined to write my quota tonight. I skyved off with a cheapo romance novel last night [which hopefully made a lot of money for its author] and since my spousal unit, wonderful husband, has left early for his shift, I will probably be a regular writing fiend. I am also totally hyped as I am trying for a bilingual posting at work and have to prove my frenchiness and such. It took me an hour to complete a basic French grammar test. ARGH! So I can vent a lot of spleen tonight. . . I hope .... Hair colouring is out of the way..
On another note, isn't it good that we have friends to drag us kicking and screaming to the publishers?

Beyondian
12-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Aaaannd today I've got 996 words done so far and have finished my 2nd chapter. (phew!) ((See! Yet more parenthesis!)) [And too many exclamation marks]

Chasing the Horizon
12-19-2006, 02:11 PM
I can't believe it, I just word counted the chapter I wrote tonight and its over 9,800 words!!!!! :D :hooray:
Sorry, just that my highest ever daily word count before was 5,800. I also speant the whole afternoon doing editing (although that count is kind of cheating because I already had most of it pen edited and all I had to do today was put it into the computer) ((Oh, look, parenthesis :D))
It was a huge action scene that I wrote tonight. I had no idea I'd done that many words until I finished.
OK, I'm stopping now because my fingers really hurt.

crazynance
12-20-2006, 08:46 AM
*skippy dances with Hope* Whoooooot! You are the star! What a word count! Oh, baby, go soak your pinkies in something.
Can we get a wave going here?
|^| ^ ^ ^

I was going to tell you that I fleshed out my storyline and got the main idea for each chapter roughed out. On the job thing: I am not as bilingual as I had hoped. I am only semi-bilingual. *sigh* I'm not as comfortable as I would need to be for phone work.. I could parle tout le temp si mes parents resteriaient dans cette pays, mais non! Ils aiment voyager! phhhthtththth! Oh well, next time.

Spirit_Fire
12-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Another progress report from me at the end of my writing week, and I'm sorry to say that I fell a bit short of my target at a measly 2000 words :cry: (although I can assure you that it's only because it's the week coming up to christmas, and I've been super busy at work - yeah I know, excuses - but I'm talking about 60+ hours this week, so... :Shrug: ).

So now I'm getting stuck into it, to make sure that I meet my target for the new week.

Maybe I'll try to make up for it by writing 3000 words this time. :box:

Sean D. Schaffer
12-22-2006, 08:33 PM
I just woke up, so I haven't written anything yet today.

Yesterday, however, I wrote two pages of a vignette. No stories have popped into my mind in the last few days, but that's okay, as my life is so topsy-turvy right now, that I don't believe I would have time to write one.

Nothing bad, mind you; just too much stuff on my plate at one time.

At least I'm still writing. :)

Bubastes
12-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Yay! I had planned to write 0 words this week because of the holiday madness, but it looks like I'll be hitting my weekly goal for the third week in a row.

Edited to add: Yippee! I reached my goal, and it was easy! I'm seriously thinking of upping the word count goal next week.

Soccer Mom
12-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Today is the first day I've written in a week and it feels great. I'll update my wordcount in my sig soon. It's been a bad week with my friend dying, but I'm getting back in the swing of things. Thanks for all the kind words and support from everyone here!

Chasing the Horizon
12-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Whew, yeah I do like to wait until the last possible minute. :) I'll be resetting my count tomorrow afternoon *looks at clock* make that this afternoon. I give up on making my editing goal for this week. On the bright side I exceeded my writing goal by about the same amount I missed my editing goal. Wait, that's not a good thing. That means I'm even further behind on editing! :mad:

Congrats to Meow and all the others who made their goals despite the holiday insanity. Lets share a cake. :Cake:
(I just noticed that cake has eyes. That's creepy)

allion
12-26-2006, 07:27 AM
Alrighty then, I am hoping this next week is going to be better than the last one. Last week I did 2799 words total. (Why I couldn't get to 2800 is anyone's guess.) Ahem...now that Christmas is over, and I am off work for a week, I will have some time (I hope) to chew through this draft. If I have to stay up until 2 am to do it, I will get back on track. Sleep is overrated, anyways.

Merry Christmas to all who are trying to meet their goals!

Karen
(a fan of the creepy cake)

Lady Cat
12-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Just checking in to say I haven't been meeting my writing goals during the holiday season, although I have been thinking of starting an excuses thread :D

Holiday stuff, family stuff, lack of sleep, lack of time . . . take your pick, any or all. *sigh* Is it too early for a resolution to do better in the New Year?

Cav Guy
12-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Finally managed to take some time off, and have been able to write. I tend to do about 1000 words in an hour or two when I write during the week (2-4 times per week, depending on workload), and have been upping that average for the past three days. It comes up to something like 8-10,000 words in three days. Put the first draft wrap on a WIP that has topped at 171,000 or so (and there are sections that need to be expanded with some historical research), and have a decent start on one that's up around 50k now. Decent, I suppose.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-27-2006, 07:11 PM
For a couple days I hadn't written anything. Yesterday, though, I wrote a four-page vignette, and a couple days before that, an inkling of a story (erotica) came to my mind, which I also wrote down.

So although I have not met my goal for each day, I did write 1,000 words yesterday, and 250 a couple days before that. I'll probably be getting back on track before too long.

I hope you all have a good day, and I'll talk to you all later.

allion
12-28-2006, 05:10 AM
Today went. Not great, but I made my daily goal. I am discovering that if I leave it too late in the day, then I could be pooched. Yesterday went twice as well, so I am getting an idea of my schedule. And Return of the King is on TV, so I have to at least keep one eye open for that. :)

I hope everyone is managing to get even a little bit done. These holidays seem to devour time and energy, so it's a struggle to get into a rhythm.

And I already know I have to do overtime next week when I get back to work, so here we go again. Argh. But I can always use the extra $$.

Karen

Jack Mariani
12-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I have just returned to my project after a 10-year hiatus. In the intervening years, a buddy of mine who started on his at the same time, wrote four novels (all published) and is adapting the fourth for television--I have some catching up to do!

I pledge 2000 words a day (10000 a week). I will report in...

Chasing the Horizon
12-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Excellent goal! Stick to it and I'm sure you'll catch up with your buddy. :)

On a related topic, I've been editing all day and have a headache....
Never mind me. I'll just take some advil and get back to my writing.

ModoReese
12-28-2006, 09:12 AM
I've been rotten with my daily totals over the holidays - I fell behind during the rush at work then never really picked it up once vacation started. I have however been tracking my days missed and am planning on catching up. Currently only about 12 days behind :(

Ideas for other stories are flowing though..... I blame it on the Crapometer... it's making me rethink my ideas and find ways to make them stronger.

Michelle

Sean D. Schaffer
12-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Cool news. I wrote a first draft of a short story yesterday. It was 7 pages long, and this was on top of the vignette I wrote yesterday morning.

So altogether, I made my goal and surpassed it. I did a total yesterday of roughly 2,000 words.

I'll talk to you all later, and I hope you have a good day today.

crazynance
12-29-2006, 04:16 AM
I managed to write: _____ . That's it. Nothing. Oh, well, on the up side, my esteemed spousal unit asked me about the progress on my book! And I thought he hadn't noticed.. teehee! ^_^ Now I'm going to write.

Beyondian
12-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Updating ... updating... brzzt.
Remember how I wrote sooo much last monday and tuesday? Well that was kinda it for the week. On wednesday through thursday I wrote exactly zip. Nada. Zilch. I rallied on Friday and wrote 3,000-odd words. Then nothing onSaturday cos I had to go to my other job (which sucks all the life out of me ((supermarkets Gah!)). And on Sunday I got sick!!!
So, this week I've been extra special good. I've written a chapter a day ('cept for Wednesday, but I still wrote 1,000 odd words.) every day from Monday onwards. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to get in a good chapter's worht of writing before I go to work. I've got the late shift, so this should be possible. Then Sunday is all mine, and Monday and Tuesday, and after that its back to work and unproductivity.

Sean D. Schaffer
12-30-2006, 12:21 AM
Today I wrote a four-page vignette, and yesterday I wrote the beginning of a novel outline on top of my daily vignette. I look forward to getting this novel working, because I think it's good therapy for a lot of the junk I'm going through right now.

allion
12-30-2006, 05:15 AM
I wrote today (see below). I hate my book again. Sigh.

This will get better. It has to. I am blaming my funk on the holiday season.

Whahhh...

Karen

Cav Guy
12-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Been writing instead of posting, but here goes...

Did 1500 words today on the main project, about 500 on a related short story, did sketches for three more shorts in the same project, and started outlining an article. Time for lunch/coffee, and then I should get back to it.

My sketches tend to run anywhere from a couple of paragraphs to a couple of pages, depending on how the initial idea takes me. From there I start fleshing out.

KimJo
12-31-2006, 03:00 AM
Is it too late to join? :)

If not, I pledge to write 500 words a day. I'll probably write more on the days I don't edit or brainstorm, but I can do at least that much if I do end up editing or brainstorming. (I tend to find myself brainstorming in the middle of WIPS because they end up veering off course from the brainstorm I do before I write... LOL.)

If it is too late, I still pledge to do the above. LOL.

Chasing the Horizon
01-02-2007, 08:11 AM
It's never to late to join. :) Congratulations on your pledge.

I just reset my count for the new week (and new year). I missed my writing goal by less than 200 words last week. :mad: Why I didn't spend another ten minutes at the computer and do 130 more words I really don't know, but it didn't happen.
Oh well. I've already done over 4,000 today and am off to keep working.

ModoReese
01-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Congrats to everyone who did so well over the holidays! I found it very tough to keep up! Only 9 days behind now. Would be more, but today it took twice as long to write half as much, so I cut my losses.

Back at it tomorrow....

Bubastes
01-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Happy dance! I finished the first draft of my long-ish (10,991 words) short story today!

The best part is that the pledge forces me to start writing a new story this week. Thanks for the motivation, everyone! The daily/weekly words pledge really works.

Soccer Mom
01-03-2007, 01:00 AM
*sneaks back in* Okay, the holidays were a total bust. I only did about 3 or fourk a week. Ack. But I'm back on track.

KimJo
01-03-2007, 02:56 AM
I don't remember how much I wrote the day I made my pledge... Sunday I wrote 1122 words, and yesterday I wrote 683. I haven't written any yet today, but it isn't my BIC time yet... LOL. Wait, I take that back; I wrote a 200-word piece on the Nine Worlds of Norse mythology for my students at my new job. Does that count?

Soccer Mom
01-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Yay! Let's hear it for the rusty and holiday-weary. we can do it. And I say it counts KimJo! It's writing.

truelyana
01-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Can the daily word pledge include 'online writing'?

KimJo
01-04-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks, SoccerMom :) That piece was all I wrote yesterday, though... Today I wrote an outline of the yoga unit I'm going to be teaching my new students, including the history and language and all that. I didn't do a word count on it, but including the lists of poses, it was four pages long.

crazynance
01-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Can the daily word pledge include 'online writing'?

I'm sorry True, but the pledge is supposed to be working towards written works, and if we let online writing count, then LadyCat will never get anything done. ;)

But if you copied your online writing and worked it into your next piece, it could double up for you! ha! problem solved. *walks off, dusting hands..

truelyana
01-04-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm sorry True, but the pledge is supposed to be working towards written works, and if we let online writing count, then LadyCat will never get anything done. ;)

But if you copied your online writing and worked it into your next piece, it could double up for you! ha! problem solved. *walks off, dusting hands..

Thanks for that, it answers the question :) and its far more direct this way

Lady Cat
01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
HEY! Online writing counts! Doesn't it? Well, just so long as you don't start subtracting the online writing from the written works, or I might end up with a negative number! :D

I pecked away at my writing from the time I got home from work last night until bed time and wrote 650 words! I expect to do better tonight when I'm not distracted by things like Beauty and the Geek.

And yes, Crazynance, I am posting this at work :tongue

Spirit_Fire
01-04-2007, 05:47 PM
After the last two weeks falling short of my target at only 2000 words each week (busy weeks because of xmas, new year, etc), I made up for it this week by writing 6300 words.

I hope this week I can write the same amount again, but I'm going to keep my pledge at 2500. I'm appraching some scenes that I know will be difficult to structure, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to crank them out so fast.

But, so far so good. :box:

crazynance
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
And yes, Crazynance, I am posting this at work :tongue[/quote]

You're braver than me! haha!

Good job, SpiritFire!

Chasing the Horizon
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Wow, I'm finished my writing goal and it's only *checks clock* very early Friday. I had until Monday morning :)
Now I have to do my editing. :(

Bubastes
01-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Wow, I'm finished my writing goal and it's only *checks clock* very early Friday. I had until Monday morning :)
Now I have to do my editing. :(

Yep, don't forget the editing! :)

I originally planned to increase my weekly word goal, but I forgot how much time editing would take. So I'm keeping my goal where it is for now.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-06-2007, 08:08 AM
No Daily Words to speak of, but I've been working on a theory that has to do with how well I wrote as a child. I've been holding off on writing until such time as my muse decides to inspire me, because I think that's how things worked when I was younger. That also seems to be when I did the best of my writing in the last 24 years.

So though I've not done any real writing in the last few days, I feel confident that I'm doing the right thing. I'll tell you more of what I come up with as the days go by.

Talk to you all later!

truelyana
01-06-2007, 06:37 PM
No Daily Words to speak of, but I've been working on a theory that has to do with how well I wrote as a child. I've been holding off on writing until such time as my muse decides to inspire me, because I think that's how things worked when I was younger. That also seems to be when I did the best of my writing in the last 24 years.

So though I've not done any real writing in the last few days, I feel confident that I'm doing the right thing. I'll tell you more of what I come up with as the days go by.

Talk to you all later!

Sean D. Schaffer
01-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I thought you would all be interested in knowing what I have further figured out in my theory of how I used to write when I was a child.

I found out that I have been so focused on writing one world into everything the last few years, that my writing has really been standstillish. I have only today figured this out, but I have already come up with the seeds of a good story, and have done several drawings, as well.

I'm finding this stuff to be very instructional to me. I'm writing like I did when I was a child, and though my writing style is tremendously different than it was then, it turns out my writing ability is still there. I just haven't exercised it the way I used to when I was younger.

FWIW, the story idea I came up with today will probably become a novel, as I continue to develop it and the world it takes place in.

Anyway, I did write today, some 500 or so words. I seem to be getting back on my original track again, which I have not traveled since before I got my first work done through PA. I feel like a kid with a new toy, and in a way, I suppose I am one.

Another thing I have been doing, is writing where one might not think of writing. I will sit on my couch with the laptop on the coffee table, which seems to add to the experience of writing like I did when I was a kid. I'm not going to change my style any time soon, but I am thankful I have come across this wonderful memory and have applied it to my writing life.

I'd best get going, but I just wanted you all to know what's been going on with me. I look forward, probably sometime next year, to telling you all about my finished manuscript.

Of course, I'll still be here in the mean time, I just won't be talking much about my WIP except in this and the Weekend Progress Report Thread.

I hope you all have a great weekend, and I look forward to talking to you all later.

Spirit_Fire
01-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Ian, that's an interesting technique.

Most people recommend the 'Butt in Chair' method, or to keep writing no matter what. I'd like to know if the 'Waiting for the muse to inspire me' technique works for some people.

Good luck!

truelyana
01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I thought you would all be interested in knowing what I have further figured out in my theory of how I used to write when I was a child.

I found out that I have been so focused on writing one world into everything the last few years, that my writing has really been standstillish. I have only today figured this out, but I have already come up with the seeds of a good story, and have done several drawings, as well.

I'm finding this stuff to be very instructional to me. I'm writing like I did when I was a child, and though my writing style is tremendously different than it was then, it turns out my writing ability is still there. I just haven't exercised it the way I used to when I was younger.

FWIW, the story idea I came up with today will probably become a novel, as I continue to develop it and the world it takes place in.

Anyway, I did write today, some 500 or so words. I seem to be getting back on my original track again, which I have not traveled since before I got my first work done through PA. I feel like a kid with a new toy, and in a way, I suppose I am one.

Another thing I have been doing, is writing where one might not think of writing. I will sit on my couch with the laptop on the coffee table, which seems to add to the experience of writing like I did when I was a kid. I'm not going to change my style any time soon, but I am thankful I have come across this wonderful memory and have applied it to my writing life.

I'd best get going, but I just wanted you all to know what's been going on with me. I look forward, probably sometime next year, to telling you all about my finished manuscript.

Of course, I'll still be here in the mean time, I just won't be talking much about my WIP except in this and the Weekend Progress Report Thread.

I hope you all have a great weekend, and I look forward to talking to you all later.

I completetly understand Ian. I am just getting back, into writing passionatetly and freely as i once wrote as a youngster. College and University life left, my writing at a standstill and I found, it was too structured for me, therefore I could not fully express myself and my writing was weak. It's great, when you start flowing again.

I'm sure your having lot's of fun and, i continue to wish you the very best :)

ebrillblaiddes
01-08-2007, 03:11 AM
OK...3,000 a week. That's an average of 500 a day but allows for one bad day. If I have more than one bad day I have to catch up on the Saturday.

I can do that.

crazynance
01-08-2007, 03:20 AM
I've just been advised that serious editing is required, but the critic hasn't picked up a pencil yet, hint! hint!

The sequel is slowing coming together.. I had to write the end before I could write the beginning.

ModoReese
01-08-2007, 03:20 AM
At the risk of feeling like a failure I might have to downgrade my daily totals. The work "rush" before Christmas is now turning into business as usual where 11+ hour days are the norm. Nothing is getting done at home during the week, which means those precious weekend hours have evaporated.

I'm going to give it one more week at my current rate.

</Whine mode off>

Michelle

Arisa81
01-08-2007, 04:20 AM
I've sort of changed my own pledge, since I do much of my writing on paper and actually counting would be a bit much (I don't type things out right away either) I'm having to change to "word" pledge to "page" pledge. I've decided on 2 pages back and front/day. Although I am maintaining a word pledge of 300 words for my novel/day (5 days a week).

Good luck everyone!

Bubastes
01-08-2007, 05:45 AM
*sigh* Didn't make my goal this week. Ah well, at least I still have a complete story to edit and submit within the next two weeks or so.

KimJo
01-09-2007, 03:42 AM
I haven't written anything on any stories in almost a week, but I've been working on a yoga unit for my students and writing in my diary, so my muse says I'm safe on a technicality. LOL.

Dixie
01-09-2007, 07:27 AM
OK I pledge to write 500 words a day - I usually help my dad with his fly fishing newsletter a bit. Then I write in my little notebook (its not an actual Journal) - then Ive joined the Freelance Assignment Contest - so this should help me reach my daily goal of 500. Maybe throw in a couple of off the wall short stories.

Also what do you count towards your word tally??

Stew21
01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I have set the "finish the damn first draft" deadline of my current wip for March 17th, which is based on 600 wpd. It's in my sig line now.

allion
01-10-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm checking in to say things have not been going at all lately. Work is sucking my vital juices out of me. (I need a new job, and have applied for a few. Too early to hear news yet). Throw in some overtime and coworkers who like to take advantage, and my brain is cooked.

I'm feeling really burned out. I'm going to take this week off from writing and see how I feel mentally. If I'm still a mess next week, then I'm going to have to see my doctor. I went through this last year, and it wasn't much fun then, and it isn't any fun now. I don't know if it's SAD or what, but it's definitely a blue funk.

Of course, now I worry that I'm going to lose all the momentum I had from Nano. One step forward, fall three steps back. Grr. It's never a happy medium.

I'll get back on track, but it just won't be this week.

I hope everyone is progressing along. I'm going to get off at this station and pick up the train at a later stop (hopefully next week).

See you next week,

Karen

Sean D. Schaffer
01-10-2007, 08:11 AM
Let's try this again. The Internet ate my last post, so we can only hope this one will actually work this time.

My idea, mentioned in my previous post, is coming along nicely. Although I have not written every single day this week--heck, the computer has not even been on the last two or three days!--I have gotten some writing done. My writing for this week has been mostly of the notes variety. I've been taking notes for my new novel. I've also started writing an idea for another novel, if I'm able to further develop it.

The idea, so far, has helped me develop my world on which my present novel is going to take place. It has been very helpful to me in doing writing that is both creative and effective. I've also been reading more than I used to, which I think has also helped jump-start my imagination.

Anyway, that's about that for my report this week. I hope you all have a great week ahead, and I look forward to talking to you all again soon.

Chasing the Horizon
01-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Also what do you count towards your word tally?? I count everything related to my creative writing. Outlines, character notes, random scene sketches, rewrites of crappy chapters.
I don't count forum posts, e-mail, get-well notes, or notes relating to my world building.

OK, last week I way exceeded my writing goal. (still missed my editing goal :e2brows:)
I'm raising my goal to 20,000 words a week for writing. (Eventually I'll have nothing left to do but editing, then I'll have no choice. :D )

Sonarbabe
01-10-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm a bit late getting in on this, but can I play too? *insert puppy dog eyes here*

I pledge to write 5k per week. :)

Chasing the Horizon
01-11-2007, 12:25 AM
Everyone's welcome to play, Sonarbabe. :D Excellent pledge.

I know that pledgeing a word count and holding myself accountable for meeting or not meeting it has doubled my average words per a week. I've had to learn to sit down and write whether I feel like it or not.

Bubastes
01-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm giving myself a writing break this week so I can focus on getting my short story ready for submission. I've already outlined the next story and I can't wait to start writing it, but I'm finding that right now it's easier to work on one story at a time.

Is it okay to miss a word count goal because you're revising something?

crazynance
01-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi. Can I get a group hug please? I'll probably put this in a thread somewhere else, but seriously bad news has blocked my writing, communicating, thinking... I was chipping away, next few weeks-months may be crippling. If you're in Vancouver- think happy thoughts for Lisa and her family.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Will do Crazynance. I hope everything works out, whatever the problem is.

I haven't been doing much in the daily words, except for lots of notes on a novel. Today, however, I wrote 1,500 words on the novel itself. I am overly excited as the writing is pretty good for a first draft. I am very pleased.

Chasing the Horizon
01-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, I met my knew word goal. :D
And miserably failed at my editing goal again *sigh* (Obviously)

Shades of Humanity
01-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, I met my knew word goal. :D
And miserably failed at my editing goal again *sigh*

if that was done on purpose, I laughed. If not, it was still funny :D I'm still waking up this morning as well.

janetbellinger
01-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I've exhumed a couple of decade old short stories from the filing cabinet. I'm going to see if I can bring them back to life and resubmit.

KimJo
01-14-2007, 07:54 PM
I've done about 2000 words on my YA wip over the past few days, so I'm averaging my goal :)

crazynance, I'm not in Vancouver, but I'll think good thoughts for you all the same.

allion
01-15-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm back, feeling better now. I have also revised my daily word count goal to be 500 a day instead of 1000. With everything else going on right now, 1000 was becoming a great weight on me. 500 it is. I can do that.

Crazynance, a big hug for you. I hope things get better for you. Remember to take care of yourself.

Karen

crazynance
01-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Thanks everybody. My brother's little girl turned 6 today, we found out that her cancer is back after having the last year to herself. It's not looking good, and although miracles are not out of the question, the head doctor is letting them sneak the family cat into the hospital room to visit her... when doctors allow that, it isn't good.
We're all gutted over it.

Eskimo1990
01-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Since I am still in school, I pledge to write about 500 words a day.

Chasing the Horizon
01-15-2007, 12:44 PM
if that was done on purpose, I laughed. If not, it was still funny :D I'm still waking up this morning as well. That's what I get for posting when I'm so tired I can't focus my eyes on the computer screen. :D

P.S. I knew that was wrong, really, I did. :o

KimJo
01-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Nance, so sorry to hear about your niece! Miracles do happen, though, and I hope one comes for her.

I've made more progress on my YA WIP since I made my pledge than I'd made in about a month before that, which is a cool thing :)

Sean D. Schaffer
01-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi all,

If I didn't write every day this week, I have at least made my goal. In the last week, I've written some 31 pages of text, which translates to roughly 7,750 words. The stuff I wrote isn't going to be published, probably, but it's writing nonetheless.

Talk to you all later, and I hope you all have a good week ahead.

Bubastes
01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Even though I've missed my target for 2 weeks in a row due to critiquing and revising other work, I'm increasing my pledge to 3000 words a week. I need to work on keeping the word count momentum going even while I'm revising.

Keep writing, everyone!

Chasing the Horizon
01-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Am I the only one still keeping my pledge? I almost couldn't find the thread. :(

I met my goal (again) :)

ModoReese
01-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I'm hanging in there - I've found a way to flip between studying and writing. Once I'm feeling the momentum slow from the writing, I flip over to studying. Once that dries out, back to the writing.

If nothing else, it's a good right brain/left brain workout.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I seem to be back on track with the revision process of my old novel. Today, just in the process of the morning, I wrote roughly 1,000 words. That is definitely more than I had originally pledged to write in a day. I believe I pledged 250 words a day, so I think I've done some pretty good work.

The only gripe is I have yet to finish Chapter 2, and there are roughly four-and-a-half pages to re-write... which should translate into five or six typewritten pages.

Anyway, that's what is going on with me and my Daily Words Pledge. I hope this post finds you all well and having a good weekend.

crazynance
01-22-2007, 05:14 AM
Am I the only one still keeping my pledge? I almost couldn't find the thread. :(

After needing to be led back here, I finally subscribed to the thread , and now it goes to my email account. Bookmarking the thread doesn't work as well, since you always land on the post you bookmarked at..

emsuniverse
01-22-2007, 05:46 AM
I pledge 1,500 words a day. I've been tinkering around with this - 500 is too little, 3,000 is wayyy to much, but 1,500 seems to work. I hope.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Snipped... The only gripe is I have yet to finish Chapter 2, and there are roughly four-and-a-half pages to re-write... which should translate into five or six typewritten pages.

...Snipped.

Well, I just finished Chapter 2 a while ago, and am now in the middle of Chapter 3. I had to cull the old Chapter 3, and so what I am working on is the original manuscript's fourth chapter. Confusing, but fun all the same.

Only 21 chapters (I think) to go.

Bubastes
01-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Well, now that the story (generated with the help of this pledge!) is in the mail, it's time for me to jump back into word count mode. Time to write the next story. Woo hoo!

KimJo
01-23-2007, 01:24 AM
I've been keeping my pledge, and a little more; most days I've actually been managing 600-700 words, but that's split between my YA WIP and a short story that I'm lagging on because I'm not sure I actually want to write it. LOL.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-23-2007, 08:14 AM
3,000 words today on the re-write. I think I might have met my goal.

Chasing the Horizon
01-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Wow, glad to hear everyone is doing so well! :D
I've actually been having issues the past few days. Every time I think I have all the plot holes plugged I find another one. :mad: Annoying, but that's what I get for writing a fantasy trilogy I guess. Well, I'm off to fix the place where my characters are completely broke in one chapter then mysteriously have money in the next with no explanation as to where it came from. (Maybe they found a money tree or something. :Shrug: )

Sean D. Schaffer
01-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Wow, glad to hear everyone is doing so well! :D
I've actually been having issues the past few days. Every time I think I have all the plot holes plugged I find another one. :mad: Annoying, but that's what I get for writing a fantasy trilogy I guess. Well, I'm off to fix the place where my characters are completely broke in one chapter then mysteriously have money in the next with no explanation as to where it came from. (Maybe they found a money tree or something. :Shrug: )

I hope you have fun, and I wish you all the best with your revisions. Good luck to you.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
My daily words today were met and surpassed, as I re-wrote my entire fourth chapter. The chapter is 3,250 words long, using the 250 method.

I also wrote a nice little story idea sheet, single-spaced on the typewriter, with 12 points to the work on the one page. It will be Literary Fiction, if I can pull it off, and I'm looking forward to developing the idea further.

I did write one extra page, but the total word count on that page was 4, without the header, so I won't count it in my daily word count today.

Anyway, that's where I am with my daily words pledge. I hope you're all doing well tonight, and I'll talk to you all later.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-25-2007, 06:15 AM
What's going on with the thread? Nobody seems to be talking about their daily pledges anymore.

Oh, well. I'll step up to the plate.

I wrote 1,000 words of new stuff today, and 3,750 words of re-write as well. All-in-all, I have written a page-long vignette, a 3-page novel timeline, and a 15-page chapter on the re-write. I'm surprised I did so much today. I haven't been this productive in years.

Bubastes
01-25-2007, 08:06 AM
My pledge has fallen by the wayside as I'm outlining my next short story. I'm finding that I need a framework for the story before I write it. Doing it this way keeps the number of drafts I need to five or fewer.

Soccer Mom
01-26-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm only writing about 500 words a day right now, but mostly because I'm editing like a fiend. I need to get some submissions out there ASAP.

Azure Skye
01-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Okay. I'm getting ready to go on a writing spree.

I pledge to write 1,000 words a day for the next thirty days. I just made a few signs to stick around the house that that goal will have to be accomplished before I can do anything else, except exercise (I must exercise).

I think I must be nuts.

lfraser
01-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Okay, I'll jump.

I've already pledged to myself that I will write 500 words a day. Doesn't sound like much, but if I say 1,500 I'll just start whingeing and moaning about how busy my life is and how hard done by I am. And then my partner will take away all of my computers.

So, 500 it is. I almost always end up writing far more than that once fingers actually connect with keyboard.

crazynance
02-04-2007, 08:20 AM
I am now officially KICKING myself in the butt! I have made some more notes on the pre-/overlapping -quel to my Nano novel. Then I realised that my novel which withered previous to ever hearing about Nano, was actually the prequel to my prequel! Gadzooks! It is the story of how Mandy met her first husband on her trip to Wales. Yes, it was a long time ago. No, not as far back as Merlin and Arthur. But his name might be Arthur. No, that's the other guy.. OH! script confusion!@-@ blurgh..
But anyway, the point is that I made some more notes! Oh. And my brother came to my house and offered me a better job. So no more call center. Squee!

Sean D. Schaffer
02-04-2007, 10:45 AM
With a lot of hell going on in my personal life, I seem to have met my daily goal anyway. I would tell you all about it, except I've already talked about it on lots of other threads and I don't want another hijacked thread here.

Suffice it to say I'm surprised I kept up with my goals. 250 words a day has been met every day this week. I am overtly shocked.

:e2thud:

Lady Cat
02-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Does posting on your blog count towards your daily word pledge? How about letters to my sister? I'm grasping at straws here people. Christmas derailed me from the writing groove and I seem to be having a very hard time getting back into it.

My latest procrastinating technique is to clean my office. The feng shui of my office just isn't working for me. Either that or I've been watching too much Clean Sweep.

Nancy! How can you leave me alone in that hell hole??? I'll have to go back to taking a book to work . . . or maybe I'll smuggle in a notebook and pen and make writing notes during my *sniff* solitary breaks. *Sigh* actually, I'm very happy for you Nance, as I'd be happy for anyone with a chance to get out of the cube farm.

verbie
02-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah! Accountability!!! Okay, I'm in! I need to focus on my novel and on the other (short fiction, articles, copywriting) stuff. I push my novel back too often to do the other stuff, 'cause I'm stuck right now on the novel. Takes deep breath. Okay, here goes:

I pledge to write 1,000 words per day (six days) on my novel.
I pledge to write 2,000 words per day (six days) on the $$$$ stuff.

Whew! I'm in it now, aren't I??? :) Verbie

What the $*(# was I thinking? Okay, time to be real. I'm going to go with 750 words per day. I know I can do that much.

I had major surgeory last week, so I'm basically trying to heal and walk a bit. The mind is happy with pain meds. I've got to get back to the real world. Besides, I want some of those cookies, cakes, and other treats. I figured it's better to re-pledge than to miss the goal completely. Verbie takes a bite of humble pie and wipes her mouth. Sigh.

KimJo
02-06-2007, 02:38 AM
For the past week or more, I've been exceeding 1000 words a day, other than Friday when I was just over 500. Yesterday I managed 2250, which astonished me...

verbie
02-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Wrote 920 words today. Won't know if any of it is good until I'm off the pain meds, but at least I wrote.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-06-2007, 06:18 AM
So far today, I've written 2,250 words, and am almost finished with Chapter 16 of my re-write. I still have another ten chapters to go with the original manuscript, but I'm not certain if I'll be putting them all in or not, as I've already had to take out three chapters completely.

So my daily word pledge seems to be holding up right now.

emsuniverse
02-06-2007, 10:04 AM
2117 in my brand new WIP.

Go me!

Sean D. Schaffer
02-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Today, I'm probably not going to make a lot of words, because I'm going to go apply to attend an anger management group across town. I don't know how long it will take, but I want to make sure I don't blow up in anyone's face ever again.

However, I probably will write a morning vignette, which I have not done in quite a while, because I want to describe how I'm feeling on paper in tangible form.

So that's basically my (tentative) issue with my daily word pledge today.

I'll talk to you all later, and I hope you have a great day.

lfraser
02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Whoa. Time to bump this one back to the top.

How's everyone doing?

I missed a couple of days while we were out of town taking care of some business, but I am now at 30,000 words. They don't seem like very good words to me; there's none of the description I like and the characters seem like stick people at times, but at least I'm getting the structure of the story laid out.

Today was a 2,000 word day. My inner critic is howling at me to hit the "delete" key, but I ain't doing it. That way lies endless revision. I can hit the delete key when I'm all done.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-13-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm doing somewhat decently, I suppose. There were a couple days this past week where I didn't get any work done. One was Saturday, my day off, and the other was Sunday, where I did a bunch of house cleaning.

Because of this, a chapter that should have taken one day, took me four, and now I'm really, really depressed. But I have to remember that I'm suffering from the Mid-Book Blues, as Uncle Jim calls them. Everything will work out, just as long as I continue working and plugging away.

Aside from my four-day chapter, I have at least made a good 250 words per day, as per my goal. But I am also engulfed in a new relationship, and that takes a big chunk of time out of my writing day.

Even so, I am trying, and I am working to get my Wyverinia Chronicles re-write completed. I should definitely be finished with my first re-write come the end of February, and if I get to stay home after my arraignment--in other words, if I don't end up with jail time--I should be started on the edit and final transcription by the beginning to the middle of March.

So that's how I'm doing right about now. Decent, but not great. At least I'm making some progress, and I think that's the most important part of this whole scenario.

emsuniverse
02-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I wrote a bunch of stuff in longhand over the weekend, so once I type it I'll add it to my total. I'm thinking it's at least 5,000. I'm estimating about 250 words per page, 20 pages. As I type it in, I'll be able to add some details. I just wrote the bare bones down when I was scratching it out on paper.

KimJo
02-14-2007, 08:21 PM
After doubling or tripling my pledge for a week and a half, I finished my first draft yesterday! Now I have to decide what to write next... I have a couple projects I'd back-burnered, but I'm not sure I want to work on them now or if I want to start my next YA. Hmm, decisions... LOL.

verbie
02-24-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm off pain meds and working seriously once again. But, for some reason, my non-fiction work is going great--but my fiction is getting nowhere fast. I don't understand how that is, but almost everything I've gotten down in my two WIPs is just crap. I was able to finish a how-to article in the first draft, but the fiction is just horrific. Really, really horrific. Is it possible that a medical condition, or surgery in my case, can take away the ability to write fiction?

Has anyone else ever struggled with something like this?

Sean D. Schaffer
02-24-2007, 03:41 AM
So far today I've written 500 words. I've been trying not to push myself so hard after experiencing some major stress in my life.

The words, however, did flow rather nicely, considering they were Fantasy Fiction; and I think they'll be usable for the premise of a possible novel... if I can do this work for pleasure instead of for work.

Quickly, I'm going to go ahead and get off the pledge right now. Because the stressors in my life are so demanding, I think giving myself any specific daily goal would be detrimental to my writing. I will, however, see about staying with the rest of the thread, and possibly quoting how much work I've done every chance I get.

I'll talk to you all later, and I hope you have a good weekend ahead.

Dixie
02-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Ive just spent a good two hours banging out close to 2,000 words. I'm back in my writing groove and loving it. I put my personal WIP on hold and I've started a new thriller WIP - although right now it isn't too thrilling. I've already killed off the best friend of my main character and I almost cried while I was writing the part where my main character sees her dead best friend still in the hospital.

I love it when I'm in my writing groove.:D Now if I could just stay in it and see the WIP through to the end....

verbie
02-25-2007, 05:33 AM
Decided to concentrate strictly on fiction today to break through the fog I'm in. Wrote 1220 words! Better stuff than I've been doing the past week. Somehow I'm going to work through this. Am re-organizing one WIP and that's what I worked on today. I think I was stuck because I was head hopping. I've got the POV more in hand now, and it helped tremendously.

faerydancer
02-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Is it too late to join?

I just stumbled across this thread and thought I'd pitch in.

You all have such impressive goals. I've been working on my WIP for two years off and on while I finish my college education. I wish I had the stick-to-it-ness (yes, it's a word =P) that so many people have around here. Between school and freelancing, there just aren't very many hours left in the day!

But, here is my goal for fiction writing:

1000 words a day, five days a week. M-TH & Sat.

Me and my odd schedule.

I won't even bother posting for non-fiction as I writing like a maniac for work. I feel like most of it is drivel, but whatever pays the bills, right?

emsuniverse
02-25-2007, 09:57 AM
I typed what I wrote, then I threw the majority of it out. It absolutely was God awful.

But from what I DID keep... 1646. However, then I typed and typed and typed and typed and wrote and, if I keep it going in the direction I'm going in with it, I have 10 thousand.

Did I mention how slow this book is?

Sean D. Schaffer
02-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Wrote an article today. Using the 250 method, it was 750 words. However, I don't know how long it was when I submitted it to AC, as their submissions process is electronic and I couldn't seem to find a word-count thingy.

But, at least I accomplished a little more than I usually do. I actually submitted an article, so, I think that is cause for me to celebrate.

:partyguy:

lfraser
02-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I've been very slack for the last few days. I'm going through a job hunt and feeling very distracted.

I've taken to writing in a notebook at night, when I start to feel sleepy enough to stop feeling sorry for myself, and it's working out quite well for me. I may try handwriting my fiction for a while instead of using the computer -- I seem to be able to accomplish a lot in very little time because I'm not obsessively editing as I write, and the words seem to flow better. Then, when I type it in the next day, I can fix the odd sentence that jars me. I'm surprised at how little editing I actually have to do with the scenes I'm writing longhand. And it's nice to get up in the morning knowing that I already have 500-1,000 words written.

crazynance
02-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Ben Franklin not only wrote by hand [from necessity - no pc! ;) ] but he also used a fountain pen and inkpot to give him time to consider the words he was using.. interesting.. we'd never get ANYTHING done!

Way to go Sean! uh, how did you go from Ian to Sean? Whatev.. keep writing.

Everyone take a seat: I wrote something. Yup. That's right. Finally ACTUALLY got some words done. Nothing to stop me now! hehe..

crazynance
02-26-2007, 06:55 AM
My latest procrastinating technique is to clean my office. The feng shui of my office just isn't working for me. Either that or I've been watching too much Clean Sweep.

Nancy! How can you leave me alone in that hell hole??? I'll have to go back to taking a book to work . . . or maybe I'll smuggle in a notebook and pen and make writing notes during my *sniff* solitary breaks. *Sigh* actually, I'm very happy for you Nance, as I'd be happy for anyone with a chance to get out of the cube farm.

I'm right here babe! btw, level 16 magic in Runescape! Woot! The spells I can do now! I can turn bones to bananas if I have the right runes with me.

LimeyDawg
02-26-2007, 07:17 AM
I pledge 1000 wpd on my novel starting tomorrow...

lfraser
02-28-2007, 01:01 AM
Things are moving along again. I've got me a brand new scene to work on, I've got a cd of Chopin Nocturnes playing, and it's a sunny day.

Rhea L
02-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I pledge 5,000 words per week.

...and wish I could go back to the beautiful past when I had the time to get 10k down easily. Sigh.

(So far, 3k this week. Doing good. WiP almost done...)

swvaughn
02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Is it too late to join?...

I won't even bother posting for non-fiction as I writing like a maniac for work. I feel like most of it is drivel, but whatever pays the bills, right?

Ah-ha! There is someone else here with the same difficulties as me. :D

Cool, then -- I will discount work-writing (20-30K words of drivel every week! Woo!) and pledge...

Drat. I have to factor in editing. Supposed to be getting the first novel in my series into shape or my editor'll crunch me like a bug.

Okay! I will do the weekly pledge thing. 7,000 words of new fiction a week. Or else I shall borrow my editor's whip and duly correct myself.

Yay, motivation! Good luck everyone!

emsuniverse
03-19-2007, 09:42 AM
We lost this thread!

How's everyone coming along?

I'm starting fresh on a new novel, so I have no word count to report.

Maybe by the end of the week.

Hopefully.

crazynance
04-26-2007, 08:30 AM
I am back from my mental break [ yes, it was mental, thanks for asking! haha]. My brother happened to mention that creative writers write everyday, and if I'm not doing that, I'm not a writer. So I pouted, kicked his chair, spat in his tea, and worked on my outline. Brat! [did you know that brat is Polish for brother?] I hate it when he's right. That's like 3 times this year. Jeesh.
So I wrote a romance for Nano last year, and I was about to write a sequel to explain what happened to the disappearing couple. Then I realised I needed to tell why the lady was like she was, so I had to write a prequel first. This needed historical research.. Yes, I was procrastinating. Back on track now! Must be the time of year: the sky is blue, the grass has riz; I wonder where da boidies is? The boid is on the wing.. but that's abzoid! The wing is on da boid! Yes, yes! It's spring finally and we're all 'twitterpated'! Wheeeeeee! Fingers are flying over keyboards.. and typewriters, and pens are flying over pads of paper... whoosh! look at all those words!
< One onlooker nudges his neighbour and points, "Excitable, isn't she?">

crazynance
05-11-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm just getting an updated word count by remote to the other machine.. hang on.. here it comes... [I was at 735] oh YES!! 3303! Whacha? I soo rock my own boat. ^_^ eeerrrrr... nevermind, it's very late here, goodnight.

crazynance
05-14-2007, 02:15 AM
Attention, Lady CAt: *ahem!* note the signature please... how are you doing over there?

For everyone else, LC and I are having a leeeetle competition over this weekend for word counts! Anybody else want to engage in a little word sparring?

PS- my zokutu meter absolutely refuses to work on any of my sites. pooh.

Lady Cat
05-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Muwahahahahaha

My word count for the weekend was 3,091. Since my daily pledge is 500 words, that means I did 6 days worth over the weekend.
:thankyou:

Does this mean I don't have to write this week? :e2cat:

Okay, okay. No slacking here. It was just a suggestion.

LimeyDawg
05-16-2007, 03:39 PM
9041 these past 5 days. Of course, the bulk came on my two "off" days from my regular job...I'll hit 100k for the novel this week.

crazynance
05-16-2007, 08:55 PM
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... ya got me! by over 1,000 words. snaggletooth and sassafrass! Congrats, eh?

crazynance
05-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Hey, it's picking up.. of course, it helps that she thinks he's a sexy beast. Which of course.. HE IS! hahaha. Up to 5967... that's ..uh.. more.. *reaches for calculator..*5967-5222= uh, 7-2=5, 6-2=4, 9-2=7 uh uh. 745 more words. YUP. In three days those, so I'm really 5 words short. Oh! it's only 11.52.. I still have time! bye!

LimeyDawg
05-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I'll concede. I left my laptop at work and it has my lunchtime output on it...can't remember what it was. Damn the late night stress...(I should get something, however, for closing in on 100k words...)

Jordygirl
05-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm gonna pledge a thousand words a day.
Realistic, but not too easy.
So far my WIP is 2,411 words in.

crazynance
05-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Excellent JordyGirl! 'You can do it!'
I'll give you partial credit, limeydawg..

My newest total is 6918.. Maybe if I stopped discussing possible plot twists and wrote more..

Legionsynch
05-19-2007, 10:46 PM
I saw this thread when I was still a newbie lurker around these parts, and it inspired me to try doing so myself.

I pledged a thousand words a day, and a month later, I've gotten 46 thousand words done. So thanks for the motivation and the great idea. :)

crazynance
05-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Excellent! Wow, you have been over target a couple of times, eh?
I have crept up to 7256. I should be finished just before November! Yikes.
I've gotten to that scary place where my writing is keeping me sane!
[ shut UP, Lady Cat] ;)

ModoReese
05-22-2007, 08:27 AM
The bad news: I've been downright horrible at the 500 words/day.

The good news: As of next month I will no longer have that pesky job to worry about -- I quit. AND I already have a couple of assignments lined up, so things are taking off nicely.

In June I'm going to up to 1000 words/day, see if I can't blow that away!

Michelle

crazynance
05-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Quitsy, huh? Was there a mad blowout? Were inanimate objects thrown about? .. Animate objects? [ can you tell I need help with a scene? *blush*]

Jordygirl
05-23-2007, 03:08 AM
I'm gonna pledge a thousand words a day.

First the bad news: I missed a day (but only one!)
Now the good news: Except for that one day (which I made up for by over 2000 the next day), I've been consistantly over my goal. Not a lot, mind you, but you can see my word count going up in my sig.
:banana:

crazynance
05-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Jordy, you'se is rockin'!
My sig is also creeping up. But mine is a slow creep, like mould.

ModoReese
05-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Quitsy, huh? Was there a mad blowout? Were inanimate objects thrown about? .. Animate objects? [ can you tell I need help with a scene? *blush*]

Ah, I wish it was that way (it would have felt pretty good after 3 years of stress and required OT), but it's not so. In fact I'm going to miss everyone here terribly -- but it's time to take the freelancing leap, and HR decreed I could not freelance in any field while working for The Company (tm). Actually, my manager has prolly been throwing things, come to think of it...

But if it gives inspiration -- I've threatened to quit a number of times while hurling a headset, stress ball, water bottle, cordless mouse. The headset toss sorta backfired since it had a cord....

No rage issues here.

Michelle

crazynance
05-28-2007, 01:19 AM
ahhhh, have been attached to headset umbilical... sooo glad to be free. I actually did the Big Fat Greek Wedding thing, where you try to walk while attached, and get whiplashed back to your desk. Erk! not comfortable. I miss my friends at cube farm as well. They were the best part of the job!
So you took the "independent" leap of faith huh? Good on ya!
We'll be here if you need support!

did i forget to mention my lack of writing? I DID spend fours hours confabulating with Lady Cat about the possibilities. AND she donated a cork board and a set of index cards to the cause. I have already listed all my characters so far with their cross references and attributes.. so that is working. I still have about 5 hrs to write this weekend...although I'm also reading the drivers ed book, since I'm sposed to write my test tomorrow.

BTW: BIG WOOOOT!! for limeydawg!

ModoReese
05-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Thank crazynance! When I let myself think too hard about it, I actually become quite terrified. But I've already lined up 2 paying gigs which will hopefully lead to a lot more.

I *love* the cork board idea (I really need one). Good luck on the driver's test!

Michelle

Lady Cat
05-28-2007, 05:08 AM
I must admit I've been slowing down, but I'm still making my daily word pledge . . . most of the time. Okay, so it's more like over achieving one day to make up for under-achieving the others.

Glad the board and cards are woking for you CrazyNance. Good luck on your test tomorrow!

I had a big day of writing planned for today, but you'd think I'd know better than that by now. Nother ever happens the way I plan it. I did manage a thousand words or so, which sounds good but falls way short of the several thousand I was hoping for.

*sigh*

Jordygirl
05-28-2007, 06:31 AM
Well, I'm still making my daily pledge but then I usually have to delete the words because they are no good.
Whaaahhh!

WordGypsy
06-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Ok, Ok! Count me in! I'm pledging 500 words a day. That's not counting what I take out in edits. That's 500 words ADDED per day no matter what I take out. How's THAT for stretching it?!

crazynance
06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
WordGypsy: Whaaaat a pledge! [see how I stretched that???]

Jordy, you ARE making your pledge. Now if you could crunch through a few chapters without as much editing...?

crazynance
06-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Ahhh, and now for a note about the driving test: I didn't get to write.

Apparently, because my birth certificate and current i.d. have different surnames, they want proof that someone was stupid enough to marry me. Thanks, thanks for that.
So, no marriage license, no test. If you hear sneezing, it's me - looking in the files.

Symphony
06-07-2007, 12:36 PM
What a fantastic idea. I'm going to start very small - just to get me back into writing. I'm going to pledge 250 words per day this month.

Can I also pledge to receive at least 1 rejection letter per week? I'm sure I'll be able to stick to that one!!!!! LOL

Symphony

Lady Cat
06-09-2007, 07:25 PM
250 words a day is a good start Symphony!

500 seemed like a lot to me at first, but then there'd be days when I'd churn out a couple of thousand. Unfortunately, those days would be followed by a few days of doing nothing.

For a while I thought I'd found my writing groove, but now I see that my groove is full of bumps and ruts. It would be easy to change my pledge to X thousand words a week, but I think I'll keep my pledge as it is and work on consistancy.

crazynance
06-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Symphony, I found that if I pledged 250 words a day [and I did], that it was more of a statement that I would try to work each day. Refer to Lady Cat's post..... *ahem* Lady... I've checked your procrastination record um, blog, and it's very pretty, but how much time did that take? I'll let you off as it was writing exercise, but it wasn't your wip! Neither of them! Unless you can work it into a chapter... I hope you've been noticing my signature progressing! I've decided the half-wit's mother must be still alive, dithering about in a small rented cottage, and charring for a living. Sorry, general population, Lady Cat and I have been discussing characters on the side.

Did you ever have a character develop a foul mouth? My characters have times when a bar of soap would be handy. But it's sort of necessary to character development on how the two interact to use the profanity. They only swear in privacy, though. Not as a general rule.

Good gravy o_O, look at that grammar. ^ ^ ^ ^ Whew! *cackles* Wanna try to fix it?

Lady Cat
06-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Well, I've been meeting my daily pledge, barely.

The good news is, I've finished my first draft. The bad news is, it's only 32,000 words. *sigh*

Fortunately, I wrote it "NaNo" style - the way I wrote during NaNoWriMo. I forged ahead and didn't stop to change anything. So there's lots that needs to be expanded and added. Hopefully not too much to be deleted.

Now I just need to find the inspiration to make those changes.