Status
Not open for further replies.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I don't post a lot around here, but I can use all the support I can get...

This coming Wednesday, I'm moving. Not just any move, though; I'm moving away from a man who's been emotionally abusive to me for our entire nearly 14-year marriage. My daughters and I have been offered a relative's house, fortunately. I went right from college, living in a dorm during semesters and with my parents on breaks, into this marriage; I've never lived alone. And I've never had to care for my daughters alone, though their father only helps when he feels like it. So even though I know this is going to be a good thing, I'm a little scared... Excited, but scared.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Just remember that your doing the right thing. THings may go hard from time to time, but just remember what the alternative is.
Keep your chin up and whenever you feel the need for help and support, we're right here.
Right Gang?

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Of course.

It'll be scary at first, but the sense of freedom is right behind that, and then it'll be great. And it sounds like you have a good support system. I hope it all goes well.

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Thank you. Freedom is definitely going to be a good thing, for me and my daughters. I want them to learn that if one's being treated poorly in a relationship, one has the right to leave the relationship.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely the best thing you can teach them at this point.

And please remember that when your new independence is scary or confusing, you have a network of people here to support and advise you on anything and everything that comes up, whether it's personal, parental, financial, or one of the other biggies.

We are also available when you need to scream. Just so you know.

Maryn, who's done some screaming here

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto on what the others said, KimJo and that's great you'll have a new start. Congrats & way2go and bet you'll do great! :Hug2:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, KimJo.

From experience let me tell you, it's much easier being a single parent alone
than it is being a single parent when you're not alone.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, congratulations and what Maryn said:

And please remember that when your new independence is scary or confusing, you have a network of people here to support and advise you on anything and everything that comes up, whether it's personal, parental, financial, or one of the other biggies.

We are also available when you need to scream. Just so you know.

Coming from one who didn't post much here at the time, but took complete advantage of the emotional support emiting from the cooler. Stop by anytime to scream, cry, moan, just be comforted.

Nita, crying less each day

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the support, and I may take you up on the screaming. LOL. Unique, I'm sure it is; it definitely isn't easy not alone. I spent part of today at the new place, rearranging things the way I want them. It's starting to feel like home.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I left mine after 13 years...its not easy but trust me when I say this..whether or not its easy makes no difference..the big difference is in how much BETTER you will feel :) and trust me..you will feel better.

The loss is huge and takes time to sink in, but once u are over that part, the great freedom of knowing you are doing it on your own and without the unhealthiness of an abusive relationship, you are gonna feel better about yourself than ever.

Good luck to you, I know what you are going through.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Add me to the chorus saying bravo. It takes real courage to step out into the unknown. If Spooky can start threads about rancid nuts and Tsuki can start threads about the death of a wood spider, there is certainly room for threads about starting a new life. Feel free to vent, scream or cry here whenever needed.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
You're doing the right thing, even if it's difficult.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
KimJo, I wish you the best. It's one day at a time, and you will succeed.

Remember, we are here for you. You are not alone.

Karen

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I won't be off long; I don't post much, but I love reading all the posts. I'm lost without a daily AW fix. LOL. I should have internet within a day or two of moving. This is such a great place to visit.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck KimJo - be strong. You've already been strong for 14 years. You just need to keep on doing the same.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Good for you. Life's to short to be with someone who hurts you. From experiance I can say the holding on to a destructive person can destroy you. Holding on doesn't just include the relationship, it's also that part of him that you must keep with you after 14 years with him. You need to makes sure that you kick this man out of your life in all respects. Don't miss him, and don't even start to think about how you might be hurting him. Worry about yourself and your kids, you've earned the right to apathy in regards to him. If you've got friends and relatives that will help you through this (which it sounds like you do), utilize their support as much as possible. A couple years back, I quit a drug I was supremely addicted to and there's no way I couple have done it without my friends and family. Hell, some of them didn't even know about my problem, but the time they spent with me helped me nonetheless. Good luck to you, and be sure to keep us informed on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.