National Novel Writing (and editing!) year

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deliberatecreating.blogspot.com
I just found a live journal site that has writing goals each month -- 360,000 words in a year (Yikes!). I'm going to check it out further.

Following is their write-up posted on
http://community.livejournal.com/nano_year/profile

National Novel Writing (and editing!) year
For when one quick novel a year isn't enough
http://www.livejournal.com/allpics.bml?user=nano_year
Name: National Novel Writing Year
About: Welcome to the NaNoWriYe livejournal community! We are a group of NaNoWriMo participants whose mad addiction to writing can't be sated by a mere 30 days of intense, high-velocity scribbling.

Hence this community.

The first NaNoWriYe will launch on the first of January, 2007. We'll start our quotas low, at a mere 20K words to be written during that first month. Every month after, we raise the bar by 5,000 words. And finally, every third month is either month for breaking and recharging, or for editing.
See the Rules and FAQ for more information.

Also! Want to come chat with some other WriYe's? There's usually someone in the AIM chatroom: nanochat. If you need an invite, please IM one of the mods: Jami ("Jamileigh17") or Arii ("Mistress Ariaste")

The Goal Chart

January: 20,000 words
Febuary: 25k
March: Editing! (AKA NaNoEdMo)
April 35k
May: 40k
June: Edit
July: 50k
August: 55k
September: Edit
October: 65k
November: 70k (Totally optional.)
December: Edit!

Total Yearly Goal: 360,000 words.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes.

Too much of a good thing for me. NaNo is fun, but part of the fun is that it's once a year. I'd rather continue at my own pace on my other projects. Might not get as many words written, but I think I'll end up with better quality out of the gate.

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The pace is good. January starts out at only 20,000 words and I like that every third month is set aside for editing. November was my first novel completed so I appreciate the motivation and structure this will provide. I found NaNoWriMo really motivating and like joining in on a group effort.

I'm going to check it out further, but right now my feeling is that I will join.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
It's good to try different approaches to figure out what works best for you. NaNoWriMo showed me that last year. Before last year's NaNo, I was outlining and revising the same story to death. After, I learned I could just take my characters and write. I worked on a different novel attempt for the rest of the year until October, and that effort taught me I could progress along the storyline by myself. I love the camaraderie of NaNoWriMo, but I don't think I could sustain that word count pace for several months in a row without burning myself out.

If it works for you, go for it. Let us know how you fare, and good luck!

:Sun:

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that's totally awesome! On a different thread, I was just posting how we should reopen NaNo in Feburary since nothing ever happens in that month (loosely speaking, of course.)

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that every month might be difficult, but I think I could handle twice a year.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I like the idea! This was my first Nano --didn't win --but learned a ton about how I can be more productive and I really enjoyed the commeraderie. I've book marked it and may join in too --we'll see as the month progresses! Thanks for sharing!

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some reason I can't get onto the NaNoPubYe site no matter whether I try from here or from NaNoWriMo?

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Sage,

I just tried and I think they are having server problems -- hopefully just temporary. I tried each link before I created the post so I know it worked one time. If they keep having problems I would contact the NaNo staff so they could post an update on the NaNoWriMo site.

May you find the perfect publisher for your work!