Release form

Monet

Registered
Reaction score
I've just received a request for a full. I also received a submission release form that I need to return signed when I send my manuscript.

The language in it is so legelize that it is barely english. I almost feel as if I sign it, I'm signing over my rights to my manuscript instead of my 'rights' to let the agent consider it for representation. It is a full page long and seems to repeat the same thing over and over again in different words with additions, but at the same time it keeps stating that I agree with everything in the submissions release form. Then it says that any provison or part of any provision which is void shall be deemed omitted but this agreement with such a provision or part omitted shall remain in full force. Huh??? Is this saying that if it is void, this contract makes it not void????

Just when I start to get excited that someone wants to see a full.... or should I say fool?

Is it common for an agent when requesting a partial or full manuscript to request you to sign a submission release form?

Unnerved.....waiting for anyone's response....

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Release form in language you can't understand? That's not good. You can pm me the specific language if you want and I'll attempt to translate. I hate to admit it, but I speak legaleze.

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
I've never encountered that myself. I don't quite understand why a release form would be necessary at this stage. Don't sign something you don't fully understand, that's for sure.

How much do you know about this agent/agency? Did you make sure they weren't listed on the "writer's beware" list? Do they have a good sales record? Are they members of AAR?

Proceed with caution -- and remember that having no agent is better than having a bad agent.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monet said:
I've just received a request for a full. I also received a submission release form that I need to return signed when I send my manuscript.

The language in it is so legelize that it is barely english.

Monet,

I seem to remember one of the legit agencies having some sort of release for just this thing. Have you searched on the agency in the Bewares and Backgrounds forum?

ETA: Ah, found them: Trident Media Group

From reading on this board, I get the idea Trident Media Group (this is the one in NY, not the bottom feeders in Washington, DC with a similar-sounding name) is one of the very few legit agencies that have a release (actually, it's called a waiver in the thread above; not sure it's the same thing).

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!

~Nancy

Last edited:

Monet

Registered
Reaction score
PM sent jkorzenko. Thanks for the help.

Monet

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to see a waiver from a legit agency so I could compare the two in case I come upon one again.

When I sent in my query, I did a search on P&E and here. I didn't see anything on the agency. I must have been tired when I looked, because I just looked again last night and saw that the agency has a warning for charging fees and not recommended. Bummer! Oh well, better to find out now than later. Feeling sheepish....though still curious to know what the actual wording on the release means.

Thanks all.

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
At least you recognized a red flag when you saw one! I'm glad you were able to avoid wasting your time, money, and/or sanity with a sub-par agency.

Keep submitting! :)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
JerseyGirl1962 said:
From reading on this board, I get the idea Trident Media Group (this is the one in NY, not the bottom feeders in Washington, DC with a similar-sounding name) is one of the very few legit agencies that have a release (actually, it's called a waiver in the thread above; not sure it's the same thing).
This kind of waiver is common in the film industry, not so common in the book industry. If you're submitting a book manuscript, you will probably encounter it only if you approach a large agency with an active film division, such as Trident Media Group.

Another situation in which you may encounter weird releases and waivers: if you approach a questionable agency.

- Victoria

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
waiver

Victoria is right. I have to sign a release form for every last thing I do in the world of scriptwriting. I would not, however, ever, for any reason, sign such a form in the publishing world. It spells either "scam" or "amateur" to me, and neither are good things.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
It's probably trident-
jenny bent had me sign and fax back a release form before she would take a look at my manuscript.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
This kind of waiver is common in the film industry, not so common in the book industry. If you're submitting a book manuscript, you will probably encounter it only if you approach a large agency with an active film division, such as Trident Media Group.

Ah, so that's why Trident has it. Thanks, Victoria.

~Nancy