Synopses. How? How Long? What agents are looking for?

GeneBrighton

Registered
Reaction score
I have decided to take some great advice from the authors in forum and query more than one agent at a time. My genre is fiction. I feel quite comfy in my queries, but incredibly off-balance toward synopses. At first I decided to avoid those agents that require a synopsis. But, so many of those agents referred by you wonderful people require it. I'd rather write another book than plod through the dry, uninspired process of writing a synopsis. It's a little like writing a patent. Talk about uninspired. Patents are a cross between technical-ese and lawyer-ese. You probably have the idea by now that I have a severe phobic response to synopses. Help me get through it. What are the key elements that agents are focused on? How long should it be if unstated in the submission guidelines? What is the best, most uplifting approach I should focus on? Does it change per genre? Thank you all in advance for your about to be wondeful responses.

Don't even get me started on outlines.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Go and look at MissSnark's blog. and trawl the archives
Back at the turn of the year she dissected nearly a hundred synopses with detailed comments.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
One thing to remember is to try making your synopsis reflect your ms style. If you write in a breezy, humorous style, do the synopsis the same way. If you are writing a tense, action driven thriller, make your synopsis exciting. Unless an agent specifically requests a detailed synopsis, which most don't, don't worry about covering every single detail and plot twist.

The most effective synopsis is not one that is comprehensive, it's one that's interesting to read.

(Do what I say, not what I do. I suck at writing them.)

CrankItTo11

Registered
Reaction score
Oh god... I so hear you on the synopsis. I'd rather stick a pen in my eye then write one, and I don't know why I have such a mental block. They aren't that big of a deal, really. (mmm....)

There are one pagers, and multi-pagers. The multi-pagers are sometimes chapter-by-chapter. There is not quick answer to your question on how to write one because agents want different things. When they simply say "synopsis" I'd go for the one-pager. One thing to remember is that you have to "give it up" in the synopsis... meaning you can't be coy like you were in your query letter. You have to tell them how it ends.

Miss Snark is a good place to look, as Waylander mentioned... and here is a article on absolute write: http://www.absolutewrite.com/novels/dreaded_synopsis.htm

I sure am typing a lot of words on a topic that is miles away from my forte. I'll stop now and let someone more knowlegable give you an answer you can actually use. I mostly just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in synopsis hell too. There have been more revisions of my synopsis than of my book. Most synopsis guidelines I've read say one to three pages (and I believe you can single space), around 1000 words. If they ask for a "detailed synopsis" some sources suggest one page of synopsis for every twenty five pages of your book. I would go with the shorter one by default if they don't say one way or the other.

And yes... definitely check out Miss Snark's Crapometer- search for it in her archives. She ripped thorugh quite a few of them, and it was very educational fo rme!

GeneBrighton

Registered
Reaction score
I am so glad that I am not alone in my suffering... not that I want any of you to suffer. But, it is comforting.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
GeneBrighton said:
I am so glad that I am not alone in my suffering... not that I want any of you to suffer. But, it is comforting.

I dread the damn things..you are SOO not alone. Id more readily write a 600 page novel than one of those things BUT its necessary..and not quite as painful as you would imagine once you get used to it.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

GeneBrighton

Registered
Reaction score
Rather than waste any more money on guide books, market books and how-to books, which have proven almost completely useless, I've decided to put my money where the real value is. Here. And so, I am no longer an "esteemed new member." Ta-da!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
rugcat said:
The most effective synopsis is not one that is comprehensive, it's one that's interesting to read.

Exactly. From your perspective, the synopsis is just a longer version of the query pitch. It’s a marketing tool to get the agent interested, to get him to read the MS itself, which you sorely want him to do. The agent sees it differently. For him, both the query and the synopsis are vetting tools that allow him to pass without reading your material--the very last thing he wants to do. Why should he waste a day reading an MS that’s got a lousy ending, or an illogical development? Or a book by a novice unacquainted with character development or the basics of creating suspense? So when you write your synopsis, put aside those book report notions learned in high school, and don’t worry so much about accuracy. Make your book sound entertaining, with a wonderful ending that relates somehow to the beginning. Make it an enticing story, not just a dry listing of facts.

akaa1a

Giggle Collector
Registered
Reaction score
I've had success with treating a synopsis in the same way I would describe the story to a friend.
I don't sweat heavy details because you want to leave a little mystery for the potential reader to appreciate. However, you need to be sure not to go off on tangents.

Another tactic I've tried is to imagine you are sitting across from a famous agent or publisher at a conference, and you are given a certain amount of time to describe your book. You need to get your story progression across to them, being succinct yet engaging.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Gene,
You can try this website as well: http://www.charlottedillon.com/synopsis.html

Rachel Vater prefers a one-page synopsis, but there are other agents who prefer a 5-page one. Just know the agents you are querying, and you can go from there. My synopsis is over 5 pages long. An agent I was referred to by one of her well-known authors, edited the synopsis for me! Bless her! Anyway, it helped a great deal, even though she really didn't change a lot of it because I already had two professional writers proof it for me. I hate writing those things too! Good luck! :D

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter said:
Gene,
You can try this website as well: http://www.charlottedillon.com/synopsis.html

Rachel Vater prefers a one-page synopsis, but there are other agents who prefer a 5-page one. Just know the agents you are querying, and you can go from there. My synopsis is over 5 pages long. An agent I was referred to by one of her well-known authors, edited the synopsis for me! Bless her! Anyway, it helped a great deal, even though she really didn't change a lot of it because I already had two professional writers proof it for me. I hate writing those things too! Good luck! :D

Perhaps this entry from Rachel Vater's blog will help to clarify things:

http://raleva31.livejournal.com/26194.html

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Ark,
It was already clarified for me. I was the one who sent Rachel that e-mail!:D The fact remains that it depends on the agent. Rachel prefers one page, BUT the agent I submitted to wants 5, and has several best-selling authors. It depends on what the editors at the houses prefer as well. So, this business is subjective. Good luck to everyone!