dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I just noticed that of the last several movies I've seen involving alien invasion, the aliens always attack america.

Are aliens militant jihadists too?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
they dont like obesity.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
They'd probably prefer to attack Japan, but the monsters have already overrun that country, so what's the point?

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
japan has godzilla, china has jackie chan, america has aliens and iraq has bush

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
For Independence Day the made different advertising posters for each country showing its main government buidling being blown up. In New Zealand it looked pretty silly as our government building is a tiny, retro hatbox of a thing that you could knock down with a well placed grenade, nbut who would bother? It just brought attention to the American-centrism that we normally think nothing about....

Last edited:

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Why would english speaking American actors play mavericks that take down aliens that all the world's militaries cannot fight in foreign countries?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Aliens attacking America is merely Hollywood taking advantage of our ego through symbolism, since we are the most advanced, the most powerful, the richest, blah blah blah.

The movie Independence Day is just another in a long line of we are the greatest thing since sliced bread-type films, and not a very good one at that. I mean, come on. The whole world's being systematically exterminated, yet Cousin Eddie sobers up just long enough to move from one trailer park to a slightly less dangerous one, and then he solves the puzzle of how to "Bring those sunzabitches down", which is a good thing, because (apparently) the whole rest of the world was waiting on pins and needles for the good ol' USA to (once again) save the world.

I saw this movie in the theater, and the audience applauded several times, including a couple of standing ovations...

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
and saving the world with a mac book, uploading a virus no less - that was just funny - wait until the japanese make their own version of the film with a ps3 and toyota prius

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I saw independence day In Wellington NZ, the audience roared with laughter most of the way through, but hey--they still paid for their tickets.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
p.s. aliens sometimes land other places. Dr Who keeps finding them in London, Farscape's earth scene were in Aus and for NZ there is the movie 'Brain Dead' -- an early work by Peter Jackson.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I was thinking more of Species, Mac and Me, and I Come in Peace, but ID4 works, too.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Did you see phil the alien? Its the worst movie Ive ever seen, but the alien lands in the middle of nowhere in Canada.

In signs, the aliens seem to be everywhere. That one made sense too. The aliens cant handle water, so they come to a planet with universal air humidity that is made up of 70% h20.

War of the worlds was genius too. The aliens take 1 million years to invade the earth. Ok. They find enough blood to cover whole landscapes. Sure. They can travel space but communicate with big horns since they have not invented a radio. Right. Then they get sick and die from bacteria and viruses that have specifically evolved to infect organisms on earth. Why not?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
War of the Worlds was written a pretty long time ago, so I think it makes sense in that context--especially as the landscape was covered with the red weed, not blood.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
nicegrrl said:
In signs, the aliens seem to be everywhere. That one made sense too. The aliens cant handle water, so they come to a planet with universal air humidity that is made up of 70% h20.

Signs is wrong. Aliens can handle water just fine, according to Earth Girls Are Easy.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
the way the movie changed the original story making the alien planting the ships a million ago and then wait until now doesnt make sense, unless they deliberately waited for the humans to evolve well enough so they can come and suck out their brain and blood but that still doesnt make sense and they never explained the red weed - oh dont even start with signs, that movie suck a big one

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
well it depends whos in the white house at the time, i think it was clinton so i bet a lot of people did cheer lol - of course in the movie bill pullman made it out, hes one fine prez

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
I would be beyond easy for Goldbloom the alien as he looked in the 80s. Mmm. He's really tall too. Then there was evolution. You know, if you move two places on the periodic table, all the rest of the chemical interactions stay the same. And frat boys randomly know where to find large quantities of selenium when PhDs have no idea.

I think out of all of these alien invasions, Earth girls are easy was the best. And coneheads- that was actually good too.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
It's philanthropy...in War of the Worlds, they went through New Jersey and did $5 billion worth of improvements....

No making fun of NJ.

I was thinking more of Species, Mac and Me, and I Come in Peace, but ID4 works, too.

I thought mentioning Dolph Lundgren movies (save for Rocky IV) earned an automatic 3-day ban around here.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
we are not talking about that kind of aliens

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Aliens always attack Delhi in my stories...

...maybe thats why no one buys them.

Status
Not open for further replies.