Do nuts expire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering if nuts ever go bad? My daughter purchased two containers of nuts that were 1/2 price off and I instantly asked her if they were getting ready to expire. She didn't know and there's no date on them, so how can you tell if your nuts are getting old? Do they taste differently? I'm weary of eating anything out of the ordinary since my last bug episode. The last thing I want to taste today are spoiled nuts.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever had an expired nut before?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Delarege said:
You're still here. :D

Keep your nuts dry and you can keep them for ever.
I thought that was supposed to be "Keep your powder dry.". How am I supposed to remember all this stuff? :Shrug:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Nuts contain a lot of oil, and it is possible for them to go rancid. You will know when you taste them, however unless they are really old and the container is not sealed properly, they are most likely fine.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
A lot of nuts have expired. The Three Stooges. The Marx Brothers. Bob Hope. Abbot and Costello. Martin and Lewis. Well, Martin expired, and technically he was pickled. Lewis is still with us, but he isn't funny any more. Unless you ask the French.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've tasted bad nuts. You can tell they're too old by the stale smell. Chances are if they're just marked down, but still sealed, they're ok.
Peanuts and pistachios seem to have the shortest shelf life, in my observations. (maybe cause of the thinner shell?)

But I'm sorry Spooky, I can't go so far as to tell you that your nuts are fine. You smell 'em.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
There are no ways to answer this without massive innuendo, so maybe your daughter should just avoid nutbuying altogether.

alices

Banned
Reaction score
Spooky, keep your nuts cool in the refrigerator and they will last way past the printed expiration date it works great with walnuts, almond, etc. Other nuts…well that’s a personal choice…;)

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
SpookyWriter said:
She didn't know and there's no date on them, so how can you tell if your nuts are getting old? Do they taste differently? Has anyone ever had an expired nut before?
Loss of body functions and fluids are a dead give away. Taste differs with activity and food consumption. Thank God I’ve never had an expired nut.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is a sign to stay away from the nuts. I'm tempted to grab a handful though. It's a tough decision to eat old nuts or not...eeeerrrr...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rancid, yuck. Now Spooky I was thinking of you last night. I read somewhere about bugs...I believe in some scientific thingy...

In a persons lifetime they will have swallowed an x amount of bugs (an unusally large amount) during their life time. Supposedly mainly during their sleeping hours. Which is why as I lay down to sleep last night you reminded me to sleep with my face in the pillow again...;)

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
kimmi 57 said:
Rancid, yuck. Now Spooky I was thinking of you last night. I read somewhere about bugs...I believe in some scientific thingy...

In a persons lifetime they will have swallowed an x amount of bugs (an unusally large amount) during their life time. Supposedly mainly during their sleeping hours. Which is why as I lay down to sleep last night you reminded me to sleep with my face in the pillow again...;)
I have that effect of women once they've seen my ....(fill in the blanks)...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Gravity said:
Well, as long as your nuts aren't fuzzy...

DANG! I blew it! Sorry, Santa.
Nah, Tsuki likes the fuzzy thingys crawling around her mouth, not me.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SpookyWriter said:
I have that effect of women once they've seen my ....(fill in the blanks)...
Ohhuhh...Not going there...Im burying my face in the pillow...

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
As far as undesirable six-legged critters crawling into a sleeper's unsuspecting mouth, I've heard it bandied about that insects are packed full of protein (boiled crickets, anyone?); I also understand rap is considered music in some circles. As in anything, consider the source. (Now where did I put my pan of sauteed silverfish...?)

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Gravity said:
As far as undesirable six-legged critters crawling into a sleeper's unsuspecting mouth, I've heard it bandied about that insects are packed full of protein (boiled crickets, anyone?); I also understand rap is considered music is some circles. As in anything, consider the source. (Now where did I put my pan of sauteed silverfish...?)
Aggghhhh....no thanks! I've had enough crickets chasing me around the apartment to last a life time. Last thing I want to do is eat one. Ewww....

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
LOL! I still recall the mechanic playing with them for twenty minutes until he got them loosened enough to turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.