Which is more acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Or should I ask, which is a more modern usage? I don't know. Anyway...

ok, OK, or okay?

I saw OK in a book I was reading last night and it threw me a little.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say this is fact, just opinion - but I was always taught to write: Okay.

It looks better, because OK is Oklahoma, and ok is annoying.

But I can't back that up, so wait for more intelligent people to come along :D

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
I can't say this is fact, just opinion - but I was always taught to write: Okay.

It looks better, because OK is Oklahoma, and ok is annoying.

But I can't back that up, so wait for more intelligent people to come along :D

I am the same. I see OK and I think Oklahoma. In my WIP I write okay, mostly because it looks better on the page.

P.S. I'm sure your intelligence is just fine.

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I like both okay and O.K. (with the periods).

According to Wikipedia:

The historical record shows that "O.K." appeared as an abbreviation for oll korrect (a conscious misspelling of "all correct") in Boston newspapers in 1839, and was reinterpreted as "Old Kinderhook" in the 1840 United States presidential election...Since the 19th century, the word has spread around the world, the "okay" spelling of it first appearing in British writing in the 1860s.

...so O.K. may be more 'correct' than the others, technically speaking, since it was the original (?).

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
all caps or spelled out - lower case ok is never okay

veronie

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.preferredword.com
Bingo aghast. Newspaper style (what I usually work with) calls for OK. But I'm like you; I never liked it. In my other writing, I use "okay."

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
The AP style book (for newspapers) says "OK, OK'd OK'ing, OKs. Do not use okay." Wow OK'd and OK'ing look really ugly. In literature I would use okay.

Brickie

just ... don't ask
Registered
Reaction score
I've read some piece of fiction written in the 1930s, in which it was rendered "okeh" all the way through. I gather there was a theory common then that it was related to a Choctaw word "okeh", so some people - including FDR - insisted on that as a "pure" spelling.

I'd concur with OK or okay. Not being from the states, I tend not to read "OK" as "Oklahoma", and indeed it hadn't really occurred to me that people might. But you wouldn't parse it as that when reading it in text, would you?

"OK, let's all gather round and look at the map."
wouldn't be mentally read as
"Oklahoma, let's all gather round and look at the map."

O.K. looks like it's supposed to stand for something, and feels too spread out on the page.

Agree that OK'd or OK'ing look ugly though. My instinct would be - if you must use OK as a verb - to use "okayed" and "okaying". But then that would make me inconsistent.

Dammit, why does such a useful word in everyday speech have to be so darned difficult to use in writing?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I spell it out, even when used as a verb "He okayed my idea."

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered why okay would be spelled to include the abbreviation, O.K.

Thanks to Nancy (oll korrect), now I know.

Don't you love the Grammar forum?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
IMHO it's AOK.

But only if you're doing text messaging. In my humble opinion, it's all okay by me.

tenpenynail

Registered
Reaction score
OkEdokEE

I can't imagine why someone would go to all the same key-strokes and write "O.K." instead of just Okay. Ok?

Seriously though, I vote for 'okay,' or 'Okay' if it's at the beginning of a sentence.

Jessi

Registered
Reaction score
My vote is in for 'okay,' also, but it drives me insane that the Firefox auto spell check says that it's incorrect. :(

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
For those who really can't make up their mind, there's always the acceptable alternative, all right.

Some may argue modern usage allows for alright, but that variation is incorrect, even when used in dialogue.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
I had actually heard the "oll korrect" story attributed to the way Thomas Jefferson would sign off on legislation. This from my college history professor, though it's hard to imagine that T.J. couldn't spell.
Actually, I've got this several different ways in my WIP, and I had made a note to watch for it on revision, and make sure they're all the same. So thanks, everybody!

greatfish

Registered
Reaction score
They have different meanings, so I would say use the one that fits the context. OK stands for "All Correct", so if you can't substitute in "All correct" for your "ok" then it should probably be changed to "okay".

"Do you want to go to the movies?"
"All correct."

I would personally use "okay" all the time, since it will fill the function of both meanings.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I just wanted to say, i really like your name Azura_Skye

Its very beautiful. I saw your nick in the thread, just felt like sharing :D

P.S- Its up to you really, whichever OK,ok,okay you use. Any of them are used and are flexible for any writing. It just depends on which one your feeling. Im sure you'll figure it out :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Living languages change, and I expect that OK will replace okay before I die. (Even though I can't abide sentences like He OKed the change.) However, I maintain it's still correct to follow The Old Ways in our manuscripts unless a publication or publisher makes available as a part of its guidelines a style sheet that says otherwise.

Maryn, who finds it interesting to live in a time of change

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
You wanna know something funny? I decided to use okay in my MS so I used Word's Find and Replace feature. It changed not only OK to okay but it changed every look, took, book and any other word that had 'ok' in it. It was quite frustrating to go through and change lookayed back to looked. Urgh. I love Word but sometimes....grrrrr. LOL

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Word

Azura Skye said:
You wanna know something funny? I decided to use okay in my MS so I used Word's Find and Replace feature. It changed not only OK to okay but it changed every look, took, book and any other word that had 'ok' in it. It was quite frustrating to go through and change lookayed back to looked. Urgh. I love Word but sometimes....grrrrr. LOL

Word does this job well, but you didn't have the "find whole words only" box checked.

When you open the replace box, there's a place at the bottom that says "more." When you click on this, a set of check boxes comes up, and one of them says "find whole words only." If you check this, OK will be replaced, but words such as took, look, and book will be left as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.