Stupid things non-writers say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
Ms.Write said:
I was working full-time in the corporate world when a visitor from our Brazil office came over. He heard that I wrote fiction on the side and asked, "So, how many books do you sell every year?" I was tongue-tied.

Sorry, I don't grok the faux pas in this...

Reaction score
From my ex boyfriend (by email, after he'd dumped me): "So when are you gonna be rich and famous, then? I've told all my workmates about you, and they're really impressed I used to go out with a writer."

Yeah. YOU finish with ME and I'm expected to shape my career after YOUR ego, so you don't look like an idiot in front of your workmates that you didn't tell about me when we were dating, for the pure pleasure of talking about me? You waited to talk about me until we were over, then you boast about my future earning potential?

From everyone: "When you're published, can I have a free copy?"

No. Buy the damn thing, so I make money off it.

From my aunt: "You've had another rejection? Why don't you write back to the agent and ask why they said no?"

Yeah, the agent doesn't have anyone else to deal with, and I don't have anything else to write. Still, my aunt gave me half the money for the laptop on which I'm currently typing so she gets a free stupidity pass until I'm published. ;)

writingmom

Happy To Be !
Registered
Reaction score
I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be a published author ! The feeling of "I did it , now who will like it ? as the little green monster inside of me was leaving..Seems you did have a fun day, and congradulations !

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
scarletpeaches said:
From my aunt: "You've had another rejection? Why don't you write back to the agent and ask why they said no?"

I get that all the time. I keep telling people that agents who aren't interested in my work are not going to be interested in discussing why they don't like it. The reply to that is usually: "Well, it's worth asking, anyway."

Excuse me while I bang my head against the wall...

FergieC

Bored at work fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathferguson.co.uk
I'm sure there's a thread on a board somewhere with "Stupid things non-engineers say" with my name all over it.

I used to work in a engineering library. You learn all sort of interesting and useless things, like that they use something called a "Christmas tree" (I think it's something to do with drilling and the oil industry). Of course, you learn these things be looking like a complete moron the first time someone asks if you can find them any information about Chrstmas trees and you come back with Norwegian Spruce information... :Headbang:

So I have some sympathy for non-writers who ask dumb things.

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
I used to work with a bunch of engineers in the Advanced Combustion Devices dept. in an aerospace company. I noticed in the supply catalog that tampons were listed. I voiced my incredulity to one of the engineers and he said they used them to clean injectors because they're so absorbant. Every profession has stupid questions, I'm sure. That's why this thread is fun -- we get to grumble a bit and then move on.

So... anyone want to give me a free book?

-- Joanna

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Jadezuki said:
Well, that's a legitimate question, though. I work at an sf/comic/fantasy/horror/tv convention once a year, and most of the celebrities charge $20 just for their signature - per item. I'm not just talking about actors, either, and it's better to be prepared to potentially pay a ton than to see the disappointed looks of people when they realize they have to pay. And it's not even usually at the discretion of the guests in question, but their managers, agents, etc.

So this one year we had a very well-known author, and we emailed him to ask him how much he'd be charging. The response was awesome:

"Well, originally I used to sign my books for free. But after I won my Hugo Award, I decided to charge double."

Awwww. I loved that man.

Jade, I'd love him, too! And I'm gonna steal that line if I need it again.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
OneTeam OneDream said:
Sounds like a place I know in Waterloo.

Chris: Waterloo, as in Waterloo, ON????

And just think: You've got a great deal more life experience to write about now than you did when you were younger.

I'll second this. I've been writing for most of my life, and my writing is getting better and deeper, because I've got more experience to put into it. Lawrence Block says writers are the luckiest people in the world, because we don't have to retire if we don't want to -- physically, we can keep going somehow or other until we drop dead or get tired of the game.

Re: Parents reading stuff their kids wrote. I'm both a child and a parent. I occasionally give my parents gifts which include bound copies of stuff my kids and I and even my ex has written (it's a bad habit in our family.) When I wrote my first novel, I printed off a few copies on my computer for my family, hoping to get useful criticism. My dad, to this day, thinks it's a publishable work and that I'm a fool for trying to edit it. Arrgh!

On the other hand, as a parent, sometimes my kids ask me to read their writing and make comments. My son (English major at University) had me read a poem, and then the email his creative writing teacher had sent regarding the poem. The poem was a reallly good one with a gay erotic theme.

My comments: If you want to get this published, I'll ask my on-line friends for market suggestions.
Prof's comment: If this poem is autobiographical, you know that our class is safe for you to come out.

<shakes head> I don't know whether or not my son is gay. I'll find out when he actually brings home a partner, I guess. But a creative writing prof ought to know that not everything one writes is autobiographical. My best poem was about what it's like to be blind, and I'm definitely not. Yet, at least.

I think that a lot of the dumb comments and questions come from the attitude that doing artistic and creative stuff involves something formless called "talent," which is innate and can't be developed, instead of "skill," which takes time and effort to develop.

I guess that's the difference between the questions a doctor or a lawyer would get, and the ones a writer or a visual artist or a musician would get. They assume that artists, because we "play," don't also have to work at what we do.

But I'll have to admit, the over-the-top dumbest thing anyone's ever said to me about what I do for a living hasn't been about my writing, but about what it's like to be a minister in a church.

"That must be a great job! You only have to work one hour per week!"

ARGH!

Last edited:

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Yeshanu said:
My son (English major at University) had me read a poem, and then the email his creative writing teacher had sent regarding the poem. The poem was a reallly good one with a gay erotic theme.

My comments: If you want to get this published, I'll ask my on-line friends for market suggestions.
Prof's comment: If this poem is autobiographical, you know that our class is safe for you to come out.

<shakes head> I don't know whether or not my son is gay. I'll find out when he actually brings home a partner, I guess. But a creative writing prof ought to know that not everything one writes is autobiographical. My best poem was about what it's like to be blind, and I'm definitely not. Yet, at least.

Some people don't understand that it is entirely possible for writers to write about situations they have never personally experienced. Yes, there is a lot of semi-autobiographical fiction out there, but your writing doesn't have to be based on your own life.

I've got two examples of that:

(1) A short story I wrote at age 12 or so was set in a bar. My mother got very angry with me because she was convinced that I had been in a bar, and it was very difficult to convince her I hadn't.

(2) I still get occasional emails from very serious weirdos who want to ask me if I'm a werewolf (see my werewolf folklore book).

It should also be noted that plenty of authors get weird reactions from others if they write about a main character who is suicidal. People wonder if the writer is suicidal.

Science fiction is stuffed with experiences that the writers never had. I don't think there are any science fiction authors who have even been in outer space.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
jamiehall said:
Science fiction is stuffed with experiences that the writers never had. I don't think there are any science fiction authors who have even been in outer space.

I loved "Footfall," in which the Earth was invaded by elephants and then saved by science fiction writers.

The Elephant part was at least beyond human experience. I hope.

-D

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I got a ton of supportive emails after I wrote a poem about an old woman at the end of her life who is looking backwards. When I tried to tell them that I was 18 (at the time) I got a lot of emails about denial, and one person who straight up called me a liar.

"You're obviously not a teenager. If you didn't want people to know, you shouldn't have written your poem."

It was hilarious. One of my other "favorites":

"Can I be in your book???"

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, the sometimes idle comment, all writing is autobiographical is a real barb for me, or grrr, grrr, (to quote a previous poster), and the 18yo person with poem really highlighted the issue. (Yeshanu too--son's gay story, and there'll be others!).

And I saw a documentary about a book treated as a bible by vicious Brit skinheads. The writer turned out to be a quiet family guy.

The most shocking comment (but I guess crudely complimentary) I had about my women's/mainstream fiction was from a lesbian acquaintance, all smarmy about some erotic sections of my writing, suggesting my wife and I have a threesome with her. My wife showed her the door.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I've been pretty lucky I guess. The ones I know have been extremely gracious and ask things with only the best intentions and with genuine curiosity.

If it wasn't out of those last two them in comes my oblivious nature and I wouldn't have noticed the difference anyway. I can feel the jealously swarming now. :D Just kidding, well all except the oblivious nature because I really do tend to be oblivious.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I find it odd when people say "Oh, I've always wanted to write," in this wistful tone, as if someone has passed a decree that they may never sit down with a pen and paper, and ever ever, on pain of death, jot something down.

Next time a friend or relative says that to me, they're getting a diary and a fountain pen for Christmas.

The other thing that bugs me is when people ask to be put in my novels. I tend to turn around and say, "I'm writing gay werewolf fantasy, where everyone dies in the end. Are you quite certain?"

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
J.S Greer said:
I hear this from time to time:

"I could write, but books are boring." UGH.

And you gotta bite your tongue to keep from saying, "And so are you..."

(Sorry. That snide remark just wouldn't stay in. I'll go away now...)

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
"HERE'S a tip! GET a REAL job! BWA HAW HAW HAW..."

Never mock a writer. He's the one person who has, while you were speaking, already plotted out a totally interesting way to kill you and get rid of the body.

The one time someone said "Can I be in your book???" to me, I put them in. And murdered them. Badly. No one has asked again.

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
And if they happen to be murdered in real life, you have that "resemblance to real persons is entirely coincidental" clause to protect you. :tongue

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
From spouse: Until you're making money, this is just a hobby.

From spouse: I don't like the end. I hope you don't make $4 because your MC is evil and you didn't kill him. Uh, it's fiction.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
"You can only write what you know, and since you only know High School, all you can write about is High School."

-- My Step-father, when I was in High School.

I didn't have the heart to tell him Gene Roddenberry had never been aboard a Federation starship before he wrote Star Trek. I sure as heck wanted to, though.

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
Tiger said:
Sorry, I don't grok the faux pas in this...

Because asking how many books someone has sold is the social equivalent of asking them how much money they make.

*sigh* I wish I was taken seriously enough to get stupid questions or comments. Except for my husband and parents, I only get the 'yeah, right' eyeroll when I mention the manuscript I'm working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.