Holy Bic pen, that's the worst feeling everrrr......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
Last night I went across the street to buy some coffee, and I saw one of my friends walking down the street. No with this particular friend, it is tradition for us to run around each other, punch each other in the stomach, then laugh it off. Don't ask.

Well, our eyes met and we began to run at other. I didn't curl my fist properly in time and felt a very sharp pain in my ring finger. I looked down and found that my nail had been almost entirely ripped off (my nails grow very long by nature. We're talking about an enitre inch ripped off, leaving only about half an inch there. yeah. ow). It didn't hurt, really, but it was one of those feelings that is just so unnatural that it's overwhelming. Like an itch you can't scratch or something. Just, ugh.....

Now I have a nail that won't come completely off, and it hurts like hell just clinging there (though it is kind of fun to pull it back anf freak out the kids of the family) and quite frankly, I don't know what to do with myself. :Shrug:

Perhaps I should just chop the whole finger off or something....

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Tsuki, you might consider going to the doctor. You don't want it to get infected. imho. Also, don't let the kids play with it.:) Hope all will be well.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
Somehow I'd feel incomplete without one of your life stories to mesmerize me. :tongue
Ditto! I couldn't have said it better. Waking up to another life experience from TsukiRyoko brings a smile to my face. :)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I still have a graphite scar on my left thigh from 6th grade, nigh unto 100 years ago. I had just sharpened my pencil to a razor-honed point, and was walking back to my desk when it caught in my corduroys and jammed me right in the leg.

Graphite never leaves the body I'm told. I have two graphite scars: little black bumps where the pencil went in...

but never came out.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
I know that experience! With the nail, not the ritual you described.

Hurts like bloody hell! I cut mine back and wrapped it.

Zonk

Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
I still have a graphite scar on my left thigh from 6th grade, nigh unto 100 years ago. I had just sharpened my pencil to a razor-honed point, and was walking back to my desk when it caught in my corduroys and jammed me right in the leg.

Graphite never leaves the body I'm told. I have two graphite scars: little black bumps where the pencil went in...

but never came out.

A kindred soul!

I have one of those in my left palm. 6th grade: I can still see the #2 Faber pencil sticking out at an angle from the base of my thumb, twitching in time with my pulse...

And Tsuki:

If thine eye offend thee...:tongue

:D:D:D

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Susie said:
Tsuki, you might consider going to the doctor. You don't want it to get infected. imho. Also, don't let the kids play with it.:) Hope all will be well.
Doctor? Psh! Didn't you know that bacterium are clearly afraid of me? Won't come anywhere near me! (probably because they are tired of the life stories.... :D)

As for letting the kids play with it....Well, I couldn't resist. Something about the look of pure terror and disgust on a chld's face when they pull back a bloody nail just warms my heart, you know? *motherly fuzzies*

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shadow_Ferret said:
I'd also advise against using that finger to pick your nose. You could either get a nasty sinus cut or the nail could break off and get lodged inside the nasal passage. Nasty either way. :tongue
Well, that would cetainly explained what happened to the rest of the nail, and why I've had a three hour nosebleed.... :tongue:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
OUCH! Been there, done that but never quite that badly. I also have long nails by nature and laziness, not really by choice. I rarely break them but when I do, it's a doozy of a break. Blood, pain, the whole nine yards.

My only advice...cut it off as far as you can, put a band-aid on it and cringe every time you have to shower or wash your hands. In a week or so, the cut, raw part of it will heal and you should be able to cut the nail off but it's going to hurt until the nail grows out.

Oh and quit punching people in the stomach! :D

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Rip it off with your teeth, and then plunge the whole bloody, dripping digit into a cupful of undiluted lemon juice. You'll feel better, knowing nothing worse will happen to you the rest of your natural life. Trust me.

Last edited:

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
You could try cutting it back and then using Krazy Glue to attach the nail back to the bed so it can grow out some. Just don't get the glue all over, or you'll end up stuck to the floor or something.

But yeah, wrap it up in a Bandaid to keep it somewhat secure. And lots of antibiotic goop is a good thing, just in case.

Karen
(who has ripped a toe nail off once or twice)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
allion said:

Ah yes. There is pain, and then there is the pain beyond pain of ripping your little toenail completely clean off! in the middle of the night! while you were on your way to the freaking bathroom in the dark!, and...

Anyway, my wife enjoyed my screaming, cursing, wild-eyed, one-legged dance.

Immensely.

Spirit_Fire

Slow-burning Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I'd also advise against using that finger to pick your nose. You could either get a nasty sinus cut or the nail could break off and get lodged inside the nasal passage. Nasty either way. :tongue

I would advise against using any of your fingers to pick your nose, if you have 1 1/2 inch fingernails, Tsuki Scissorhands!

(at least now you can cut the broken one short and have a decent nose picking finger)

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Gravity said:
Rip it off with your teeth, and then plunge the whole bloody, dripping digit into a cupful of undiluted lemon juice. You'll feel better, knowing nothing worse will happen to you the rest of your natural life. Trust me.
Lemon juice? Wimp! Tsuki ONLY does jalapeno peppers, and don't you forget it! And what's an open wound without some nice fragranced bath salt to grind into it? :D

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
allion said:
You could try cutting it back and then using Krazy Glue to attach the nail back to the bed so it can grow out some. Just don't get the glue all over, or you'll end up stuck to the floor or something.

But yeah, wrap it up in a Bandaid to keep it somewhat secure. And lots of antibiotic goop is a good thing, just in case.

Karen

I just threw some antibiotic ointment on it for a while after washing it with some comfrey tea, then duct taped it. Worked for everything so far. :D

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
dclary said:

Be glad it was in your leg. Otherwise it might have been a difficult tattoo to explain.

I've got a quarter-sized scar on my left knee cap from skidding on decomposed granite in the school yard. Ah, those joyous days of youth.

CBeasy

I'm back baby!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
As a result of my many years as a carpenter framing houses, I consider myself to be something of an expert on the treatment healing times of small injuries, especially to the hands. I've probably smashed the nail off a finger with a 28 oz. Estwing hammer half a dozen times. I've partially disconnected the nail even more times. I would say just clip off as much as you cleanly can, and make you wash the area real well. Bandage it with a cloth bandaid so you won't bump it into crap and wait for the nail to start growing back, or at least until your nail bed isn't so tender. You should be good to go in a week or two. Also, duct tape isn't that bad of a bandage if there's something between the tape and your skin. When I cut myself on a jobsite, I used to make a bandage with a piece of my T-shit and either duct tape or electrical tape.

TsukiRyoko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
CBeasy said:
As a result of my many years as a carpenter framing houses, I consider myself to be something of an expert on the treatment healing times of small injuries, especially to the hands. I've probably smashed the nail off a finger with a 28 oz. Estwing hammer half a dozen times. I've partially disconnected the nail even more times. I would say just clip off as much as you cleanly can, and make you wash the area real well. Bandage it with a cloth bandaid so you won't bump it into crap and wait for the nail to start growing back, or at least until your nail bed isn't so tender. You should be good to go in a week or two. Also, duct tape isn't that bad of a bandage if there's something between the tape and your skin. When I cut myself on a jobsite, I used to make a bandage with a piece of my T-shit and either duct tape or electrical tape.
I just bandage it up with a comfrey poultice under the duct tape. Gotta change it every now and then, but the tenderness has mostly gone away after only one day. Viva la herbs

Status
Not open for further replies.