No 9/11 screenplays

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJ and G

Just an observation. One of the biggest events in U.S. history and no movie. I realize that this is a sensitive topic to talk about so I'll try to delicately navigate thru it.

Perhaps the reason for no 9/11 movie is that it is still too painful for anyone to write a screenplay about and besides, everyone knows what happened and fictionalizing it would trivialize it.

The point?

Although writers of books about screenwriting encourage newbees to scan the daily papers for ideas, there are certain ideas that are just too difficult to write about.

Some other examples:

Interestingly, Pearl Harbor was perhaps the closest thing to this sneak attack; but lots of movies were made reg. that. Could be, however, that the targets were military vice civilian.

An example involving civilians would be the Haloucaust. It took some 5 decades to come out with Schindler's list.

Perhaps in 5 decades, 9/11 will be ripe for a movie?

writerscut

I remember, correct me if I'm wrong, Spielberg holding a "meeting" where filmakers agreed not to make a movie on the subject. Also...a movie would not be meant with much approval. If you were to take the Pearl Harbor, love triangle approach, there would be such a backlash...it wouldn't be pretty. Someday a movie will be made...but as for now, the American people are still a little sensitive of the subject...

A Pathetic Writer

In general, it's democrats who are touchy on this subject, because they'd rather America forgets it ever happened. And since Hwood is predominantly democrat...

The truth is...there's no reason in the world why 9/11 couldn't be an effective MOW, like any other disaster film. It would get amazingly high ratings. It honestly has absolutely nothing to do with America's feelings on the subject, but on the political leanings of the people holding the greenlight button.

moviemaestro

I agree that it is, simply, just a matter of waiting. As far as I know, it took quite a while for a big Pearl Harbor movie to come out, and I think the same will be with 9/11. After all, who would pay money to go see a horrific event that is still all too fresh in their minds?

Also, I believe that there's something wrong, somehow or another, about someone MAKING money on the 9/11 tragedy. Spielberg, God bless him, refused any pay for his work on Schindler's List, but someone somewhere down the line was making money for that movie, and it'll be the same thing with 9/11.

Maybe if the movie studio were to donate all (any?) profits to the living family members of the disaster, then it would be worthwhile.

-movie maestro

writerscut

Re: 911

If done in a Saving Private Ryan/Schindler's List way...raw and realistic...then maybe. But if you slap in a love triangle undercurrent...you have written yourself into a lot of contreversy. Families who lost people on 9/11 don't want to see that...and probably don't want to see any movie on the subject...

Hamboogul

FJ and G,

Are you posing this question because you want to write about 9/11 or to talk about the state of film?

If it's the former, just go ahead and write it. Based on your writing samples I've read, you are nowhere close to being a professional... You could use practice. If that practice comes from a subject matter you care about, go ahead.

If it's the latter, who cares? You have no control over it.

NikeeGoddess

close:
there's a flick coming out very soon (if it hasn't already) and the name escapes me but, it's about NYC firefighters and a highrise building does go up in flames. i know someone has seen the previews.

EggMcGuffin

there was already a tv movie about 9/11 and the security stuff that led up to it, and the events that took place that day. grant show was in it. :grin

EggMcGuffin

ooh nikee, is that the new travolta one? it looks ql, like a new version of backdraft!

maestrowork

It usually takes a long time for a national tragedy to come on screen. Remember, movies about Pearl Harbor didn't get made until years (over 10) after the event.

Wait another 10 years, perhaps we'll see something in 2012.

A Pathetic Writer

Republic made film called "Remember Pearl Harbor" that came out 5 months after December 7.

Nameless65

It honestly has absolutely nothing to do with America's feelings on the subject, but on the political leanings of the people holding the greenlight button.
I would think the deciding factor wouldn’t be politics but salability.

dchapma123

There was a 9/11 movie a year or two ago called (I think) "The Guys". It starred Sigourney Weaver and Anthony LaPaglia. I believe it was about a funeral for the firefighters.

I think this is the kind of movie we'll see in the short term, stories that use 9/11 as a backdrop and inform the plot. But it'll be awhile (I hope) before we see a dramatization of the planes hitting the buildings.

maestrowork

There was a 9/11 movie a year or two ago called (I think) "The Guys". It starred Sigourney Weaver and Anthony LaPaglia. I believe it was about a funeral for the firefighters.

I believe it was a play in New York.

NikeeGoddess

yeah, i think it is the travolta backdraft do-over flick

anyhoo - just adding to the list
The Best Years of Our Lives was made right after WWII and included some actual military folks as actors - also won an Academy Award

dchapma123

Yes, "The Guys" started as a play, but they did make a movie out of it. Which is a good point, because I think it's easier to address really recent events on the stage. It takes a long time to make a movie.

World War II might not be a good comparison, though, because Hollywood made a lot of propoganda films during that period. I'd rather not see that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.