An Open Letter to AW Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

alices

Banned
Reaction score
I am curious as to the criteria and method being used by the Mods to delete a thread. I’m not talking about locking it, I mean whoosh! Gone, disappeared in a matter of minutes. I have noticed that is especially true when someone obviously post a spam advertisement, which makes sense.

However, if an AW posters asks a Mod or owner as the case may be, to delete a thread they posted, why has it suddenly become so difficult, not possible or “not our policy”? I love that one!

Now I fully expect that this thread will do a quick disappearing act as well as getting me banned, but that’s life. :gone:

Inquiring minds would like to know. ;)

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In most cases, a thread is deleted on "request of original poster" usually after a discussion with the OP and the deleting mod, and only when the thread is ill-advised, controversial, or problematic.

I am curious about you as well.

a) You have only 3 posts and just joined and yet you have this question of all questions? Are we to immediately assume you're just a new incarnation of a previously banned member who possibly had thread-deletion issues in the past?

b) If you have a problem with management or the mods, why not ask them, instead of the general community? You're likely to get a better, faster answer. Your method, and the baiting at the end seems to indicate you've got more than simple curiousity driving this thread.

Deleted member 42

Inquiring minds with a clue generally attempt to read the policies and you know, actually follow them.

Threads are moved, but NOT deleted. I can't recall, ever, seeing a thread deleted in the time I've been here; technically, it's not something done lightly.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
You hang out in the wrong crowds, Medi. I've seen LOTS of threads deleted.

(insert sad, unconvincing lol here)

Deleted member 42

dclary said:
You hang out in the wrong crowds, Medi. I've seen LOTS of threads deleted.

(insert sad, unconvincing lol here)

No, you've seen threads hidden from members :D

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I own AW, Alices. Please feel free to PM me, with future questions. You can do that easily by clicking on my name.

We delete spam.

We don't hard delete whole threads, because it's generally unfair to the members who put in time and effort replying to someone, even if the OP later decides they want to delete their own posts. We might soft delete a thread (which still archives the thread) if the content is overtly offensive, misleading, or downright stupid. But even those threads are more usually just locked.

Now, you'll please note this thread hasn't been locked. Or deleted. And in spite of your combative tone, no one has banned or threatened to ban you.

Perhaps you'll answer a question for me, since we're thrashing this out on a public bulletin board? Why on earth would you ride in here on a high horse, and accuse us of all sorts of generally arbitrary bad behavior and poor manners--especially when a quick review of your own post history indicates to me that the members have been patient, generous, and courteous in their responses to you?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Medievalist said:
No, you've seen threads hidden from members :D

LOL, duh. Fair enough. activeflag=0 or whatever. I get the point.

I was speaking from the UI's point of view.

Nerd.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I think they locked the thread. They did not delete it. I also agree with Dave. I'm not sure that posting a message like this in OP to call them out is a wise option. Perhaps a private message to the mod that locked it? Perhaps there is a reason your thread was locked (namely that it was already a thread in TIO, and there is a reason people don't get to post in TIO until they have 50 posts. It was a TIO topic not an OP topic.) Sorry you were not able to be included in that TIO discussion, but if you would get your post count up by contributing in other forums that wouldn't be a problem. And I believe when it was locked she was very polite about it. I don't understand the problem, honestly.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm deleting this thread in 5....4....

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Stew's right that I'm right. Whenever I see mod action I don't agree with, I either rep-point or PM the mod asking for claryfication.

Mac can attest to this, as can others. Amazingly, keeping up a dialogue with the mods is a fantastic way of finding out what they're thinking and why they do the things they do.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I think alices is frustrated that her post count doesn't allow her into TIO, but I think they did that becuase there were a lot of people coming here just to post in TIO and that is not the purpose of AW.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That may well be the case, Sassy. Many people enjoy having a soapbox from which they can express their views. I don't think it's unreasonable for AW to expect a mere 50 posts on the 'serious writing' parts of the board before opening that board to new arrivals' posts.

I've found that my few requests to remove (rather than lock) a thread I started have been dealt with promptly. There was a time I sought opinions of members on personal issues faced by a family member. This person's problems are not really mine to air here, good intentions or not, and were deleted quickly once I asked and explained my reason.

Maryn, who'll display her own dirty laundry but not anybody else's

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
"Now I fully expect that this thread will do a quick disappearing act as well as getting me banned, but that’s life."

Like all the time for you, or what? Tough life.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
alices said:
Now I fully expect that this thread will do a quick disappearing act as well as getting me banned, but that’s life.

This thread hasn't disappeared. And I don't know why you would think asking a question would get you banned.

But when I read your post I was thinking: Why doesn't she just send Mac a PM and ask her any questions she has? Did you put this in the form of an open letter so that all of us can read it, thinking we might agree with you?

I think if you're upset about something you could just send a PM to Mac and politely talk about it with her. She's a very nice, reasonable person and I'm sure she would be willing to discuss whatever issue you have.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i would also like to know why the hell i don't get free ice cream with every post.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
i would also like to know why the hell i don't get free ice cream with every post.
Might it be because it would melt between your bones?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:

Boy, you ask for an awful lot!

How about some smiles instead? :) :) :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
KTC said:
It seems to me that somebody coming to a site for writers and spouting vitriol before having even 5 posts under their belt isn't much here for the site's intended purpose.

Hey! No vitriol spouting here. I have to clean it up!

*grumbles as he pushes the mop around in the puddle of vitriol*

And Haskins better not spill that ice cream.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Maybe the poster was thinking of bad experiences at other messageboards?

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
William Haskins said:

Ice cream has been donated in your name to the Starving Newbie Writers Who Live in Hot Climates Society. In their names and in mine, I send my thanks.

(The butter brickle was especially tasty.)

alices

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I went a bit over the top and I sincerely apologize. My “reasoning”, the discussion going on in TIO: Is it rape if the woman is drunk, IMHO, as a rape survivor the thread had drifted so far from reality that I posted a duplicate in O.P. with the following link:
http://www.calcasa.org/34.0.html

This is the site for, The California Coalition Against Sexual Assault (CALCASA) - Myths and Facts

I was hoping that someone would post the link in TIO for me.

My Thread was locked with the comment that “Editing and removing link--inappropriate for Office Party...”

Considering some of the postings in O.P., I found the “inappropriate for Office Party” a bit heavy handed. I received a very nice PM from the Mod, and I thought I had replied and received no response.

I am not offering this as an excuse, but rather an explanation and apologize for the rant.

Status
Not open for further replies.