This whole "not working so much" thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
is freakin' awful.

Holy cow, how do bums do it? Day 1, I thought, "Wow! I have all this free time! I could do anything! Yay!" Day 2, I thought, "Okay, what now?" Day 3, I want to throw myself in front of a bus.

After being a workaholic my entire adult life, I seriously have no clue how else to live. It's making me profoundly uncomfortable. There is nothing I want to do. Do you know how sad that is?? To realize that you have all this time and that you have no interests whatsoever? I spent my birthday folding laundry and staring at the wall.

I think I dread not working more than I dread all the deadlines. This is such a weird realization.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could become the personal Christmas shopper for the rest of us!

;-)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Last year I was pulling my hair out because I had nothing to do. I started baking and making chocolates (as you well know) just to pass the time. Now, I would die for a day that included even a speck of free time...

Savor it, Dearie, savor it!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm not a workaholic, have never been a workaholic. I am the classic Type B personality. I can relax while all those about me are losing their heads.

Yet I cannot just sit and do nothing. I don't take more than a day or two of vacation time in a row because the doing nothing drives me crazy. I even hate taking sick days because I can't just sit and do nothing or even just stare at a TV for 8 hours.

So I can empathize.

(Hey! I don't remember getting any chocolates, Saritams!)

Deleted member 42

{{{{{{{Jenna}}}}}}

The thing to do is to Have a Plan every day. You can write, just not write to a contract/submit schedule.

You can Chat, or IM with friends. I'm really good at complaining about footnotes; just ask Birol. You can read books -- watch DVDs (I've just discovered anime, and wow, some of it is really good; I think my husband has developed a tendre for one character, and I don't know who's more charming, him or the character . . .) listen to music -- especially stuff you might not listen too (wanna try some Medieval and Renaissance Chrismas music? How about traditional Celtic muisc?)

And you can hang out here, with us. Always.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or . . . you could assume another username and post controversial stuff in the TIO forum just to see how long it takes for the thread to be locked.

Oh, wait, we've got enough people doing that already.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
JennaGlatzer said:
After being a workaholic my entire adult life, I seriously have no clue how else to live. It's making me profoundly uncomfortable. There is nothing I want to do. Do you know how sad that is?? To realize that you have all this time and that you have no interests whatsoever? I spent my birthday folding laundry and staring at the wall.
Take unnecassary classes in obscure subjects at a local university. That way, you can end up like me. :D

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
JennaGlatzer said:
I spent my birthday folding laundry and staring at the wall.

This is not good, Jenna. Please don't ever do that again.

You need to go out (into cyberspace) and foment a revolution...just for fun.

But don't touch the laundry. Folding it leads to all kinds of aberrant behavior like ironing sheets and putting doilies on furniture. Stay at least 50 feet back from any known pile of laundry. Really.

Fortunately, today you have another opportunity to have a Happy Birthday. Tear it up, lady.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could start your next book: What To Do When You're Pregnant . . . and Don't Have Anything To Do.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1) Listen to what Sarah said.
2) Put a message into your planner to come back and visit this thread when your little tyke is six months old.

Trust me--you'll be gnashing your teeth about wishing the world would turn faster for you once you are up to your armpits in baby excretia and down to your last nerve due to a lack of sleep. It's something the experienced can't ever get across to the inexperienced. It's because acknowledging it and expecting it is nothing like living it. Not even close.

Rest up, Jenna. Rest up.

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
bad alleycat bad - jenna this will pass and before you know it you will wish you had more time to do nothing it takes a while i remember it used to take me 3 days just to get into vacation mode because i always itched to do something and got bored really quickly but then i got into it and it was a bliss doing nothing and just hang and it will take me at least 3 days to get back into the 'work' mode - anyway if you really are bored plan something fun like taking a walk or a dinner party or taking a class or doing some light writing at a coffee shop while you peopel watch or soomething, cook, or figure out your interests maybe like picking up painting or photography or recording your first 'jenna sings' album

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I know how you feel Jenna! But trust us, it drives you crazy now, in 6 months you'll be kicking yourself because you want that time back! I was off work for the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy and I was bored out of my mind. I haven't been bored since! :)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Oh, I'm positive the little bean will change everything and I'll be complaining about having no free time then. But in the meantime...

Bah. Just a down day. I don't have any friends who live near me (they're scattered all over the country) and my mom was sick and Anthony was working, so after lunch (which we did spend together), I just sat around trying to think of something-- anything-- I might enjoy doing for my birthday.

I was in bed by 8:30 and am thus far repeating the cycle. I would totally go for the "take weird classes at a local college" thing, except that there are no local colleges. Closest one is a pretty long trek down a highway I dare not brave.

I checked out the library offerings, and have managed to find one class where I shall make a marbleized Christmas ornament for one hour in mid-December.

I got no plans till then. ;) Well, unless you count my flu shot tomorrow.

I even checked out my mom's town's library activity schedule, figuring I can steal her library card and pose as her (dastardly, no?) so I can take a craft class there... but no. They do have senior fitness classes.

Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Holy cow, how do bums do it?

I can probably make a few calls and get you in as a P/T Professional Messageboard Poster.

And then if they like what they see, maybe they'll offer you a full time job.

Let me know.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand why you're not working. Did you get fired? Seriously, I've been down now for just over three months and spent my time looking for work, studying, and taking tests. Besides those fun activities I was writing and spending time here. I can imagine how you feel the first couple of days especially since you always had AW to keep you busy.

I go back to work next week and have six months before I need to start looking for another contract. Who knows, I may be without a contract for the whole summer. Hopefully I can finish my wip and start on another during this down time.

Do you write short stories? What do you want to really do that you haven't been able to before?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Join your local Y or fitness club. I highly recommend swimming when you are pregnant. There is no stress on your joints (which are pretty pliable right now and easily sprained) and it feels heavenly to not have to carry all that extra weight. As a bonus you will feel better getting rid of some energy and you might even meet some other preggy ladies there.

Then when you've done that go home and start a new children's picture book series. Does your brother like to draw? Maybe you could get him to illustrate them for you and what a nice keepsake that would be for your new baby.

After you do that, eat some chocolate.

Write_At_1st_Light

Writer of Nothingnesses
Registered
Reaction score
123 Pencilvania Ave, Writers Block, CA 90210
Website
www.DavidRedstone.com
Hey Jenna, some helpful suggestions:

You could work on your Cary Grant impression. You never know when you might be at a party and his name comes up, and you surprise and delight everyone by reciting perfect lines from North By Northwest in his inimitable style. He's tough to do, should take lots of nice time and practice.

Plant some stuff, maybe a Menagerie Garden? Like you could plant a dogwood tree, some cat-o'-nine-tails, some tiger lilies, some dandelions and a monkeyball tree all in one spot and let them fight it out. It's a jungle out there (sorry, couldn't resist).

Take a picture of your living room, scan it into the computer, and then get a software package where you can like change the color of the carpet instantly. There are over sixteen million color combinations (256 x 256 x 256) and I'd suggest trying them all. There are 86,400 seconds in a day, so if you looked at one color per second, you'd be busy for weeks. And a third of that time you'd be sleeping so it's even better. If you do run out of colors for the carpet? Start with the ottoman. And so forth.

Last edited:

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Jenna, I've been there before and yes it does suck mightily. Some suggestions: take the time to get caught up on your reading, or reread your favorite books; start a computer game addiction (my drug of choice is Civ III); I second the suggestion of anime, especially some of the series that can run into several hours worth of entertainment (might I suggest Cowboy Bebop, Trigun or Samarai Champloo as starting points). Those are all couch potato activities in case you're not supposed to be moving around much.

For more active, uhm, activities, I second the swimming idea, also taking walks around your neighborhood or visiting any local museums.

ETA: Oh, or if you have a sewing machine or access to a sewing machine you could always sew some drawstring pants. They'll come in handy in these later months. Just pick up a pattern for one hour pants and go crazy!

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
You know, looking back on my post, I can remember a lot of moms telling me the same thing. And now I'm one of them. It's just so hard to see it until you're there. I know I couldn't.

Subscribe and listen to a "learn a language" podcast. Finn and I are doing Learn French by Podcast.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna, how is your brother (Paul, right?) reacting to the pregnancy thing? This would be a good time do some just-the-two-of-you things with him. Once the baby arrives, you may not have as much time to give to him. Get him involved now in all the special things about becoming an uncle.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No real words of wisdom here. Just sympathy and a hug. I was put on bed rest with my first baby. It was quite a shock. I don't DO down time. I made them bring my Grand Jury files to the hospital. My blood pressure kept going up and the doctor made them take the work away. I was supposed to do non-stressful things. But it was boring.

Hang in there.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'll get used to it, decide you like it, then you'll lose it.

That's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.