Not open for further replies.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
If the activists hold a rally, I wonder what they would chant.

"No more n____!" wouldn't go over too well...

Actually, I suspect ulterior motives on the part of some of these "activists," cynic that I am. The word has become far too common and everytime someone gets hammered for using it, the whole rap culture thing and the use of the word within some elements of the black community comes up. It's sapping the power garnered from accusations of it's use.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I attended the National Hip Hop Political Convention in '04, and there were activists there with flyers urging people so stop using it. It was interesting, but I couldn't take it that far.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Actually, I suspect ulterior motives on the part of some of these "activists," cynic that I am. The word has become far too common and everytime someone gets hammered for using it, the whole rap culture thing and the use of the word within some elements of the black community comes up. It's sapping the power garnered from accusations of it's use.

Not sure what you mean by this. Could you explain? Are you saying that reclaiming the word has made using the word in a racist way seem less racist?

Reaction score
We need to merge Current Events and TIO back I think.

Maybe it's me. I just don't get the difference.

:Shrug:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Celia Cyanide said:
Not sure what you mean by this. Could you explain? Are you saying that reclaiming the word has made using the word in a racist way seem less racist?
I'm saying people like Jesse Jackson (who I think very little of) get less use from the word as a tool to criticize others as being racist. Richards is small bananas. I'm not surprised at all to see Jackson saddle up with him. Look at the Va Senate race. I'm certain there are many who supposed George Allen should have been sunk overnight by the allegations that he used the n-word. Yet, it didn't happen.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Yesterday, my 9 year old daughter and I were sitting in a pharmacy, waiting for prescriptions to be filled. (She has bronchitis.)

A man and his wife came in and he left her sitting on one side of the room, and came over to sit by me and my daughter. He started a conversation, and began telling me where his grown daughters worked. One of the places was Pizza Inn. He told me that they didn't sell beer at Pizza Inn, because the "niXXers," get drunk and mess up the salad bar.

I told him that that label was disgusting, and he should stop using it immediately, and that I doubted all black people get drunk and mess up salad bars.

He went on to explain to that he had friends who were "nixxers," and they all respected each other. I told him that there is no respect as long as he uses that name. He said he has white trash friends, too. I told him that white trash is not offensive, the use of the word ****** is.

He told me he understands that he shouldn't use the word around my daughter. I told him he shouldn't use the word, period. We had quite a lengthy conversation, during which he used the word 6 or 7 times, each time he said it I cringed and told him not to use the word.

He is retired law enforcement. His first name is "Billy Ray." He has a pot gut and his eyes were only slits - he looked and acted like he was drunk, but he wasn't. It is clear to me that people who use these terrible words are completely lacking in self esteem, and are looking for someone to look down on.

Why any black person wants to live in Mississippi is beyond me.

I have made sure that my daughters understand what happens when REAL people use that word - by telling them about the Kramer thing. Under no circumstances would my kids ever utter such filth.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I would also like that add that the n word has never left my lips ........and I didn't think it would type on this forum - but it did.

I would never ever say it.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
man I don't believe for a second that Mooney's going to stop using it. Mooney took using it to an entirely different level.

As for George Allen vs. Michael Richards A) George Allen is, alas, less well known than Kramer and B) he was only accused of saying it, he wasn't actually filmed in the process of shouting it 894 times in a row.

I think the whole thing's been blown out of proportion. Mike's a d*ck for what he said, yeah, but it's hardly worth all this coverage. Granted, it's the action of a celebrity, which by default is going to get exorbitant coverage in our press. Nonetheless, I think that if you subbed out Mike for the guy who played Mr. Kotter, or didn't have the incident on video, or he said "porch monkey" or "coon" instead of "******," we wouldn't have all this hype surrounding it.

And not using the word "******" isn't going to make anyboy less racist. They'll just find a new word, or just talk about hanging black people upside down with forks up their a$$es. Attacking the word is superficial...

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
The thing about this whole Michael Richards/Kramer thing that's got me rolling my eyes is this: He's asked the black community to "help him with healing" and his handlers have called in a psychologist to "help figure out why he used such an ugly word."

Dude, you don't need "healing", whatever the hell that's about. You don't need a shrink. You need to accept the fact that your bigotry has probably just tanked what's left of your career.

That'll be $80, please.

Reaction score
Celia Cyanide said:
Mac, Rob, can we get a sticky--"PLEASE READ: The difference between TIO and CE"

Thank you.

Yes, thank you.

We have Lindsay Lohan things in CE & Politics, we got Israel truce and other current events in TIO. Different Kramer threads in both places.

It's too much clicking for me!!

I have bronchitis!!(like Eldragon's daughter)

And all this clicking back and forth is taking away from my limited posting time.

Thank you,
Near Death Thrilly

Last edited:

aghast

Registered
Reaction score
and why stop at the n-word? why not other derogatory terms such as the k word, the c word, the f word, the q word - jesse jackson et el are all self-serving pc police overreacting to one mans mistake and if they really are about civic right than go and boycott every racial homophobic sexist slur will ya, i mean we will have to dig out everything richard pryor did and burn the tapes

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
How does one go about boycotting a word? It's not a product or service, it's a word. Someone clue me in because I can't figure how a word that's already on the "never say in front of your mother" list can be realistically boycotted.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
screenmom said:
How does one go about boycotting a word? It's not a product or service, it's a word. Someone clue me in because I can't figure how a word that's already on the "never say in front of your mother" list can be realistically boycotted.

I think they'd boycott movies, comedians and musicians that use it. Which seems silly as all hell to me. But there've been groups talking about this for years, MR just gave it a little more steam and publicity.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Jcomp said:
I think they'd boycott movies, comedians and musicians that use it. Which seems silly as all hell to me. But there've been groups talking about this for years, MR just gave it a little more steam and publicity.

Thanks for the explanation. I gotta agree with the silliness angle. Make way for the thought police. I'll be interested to see how they (who would boycott a word) will make this one play.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Makes no sense to boycott a word. Words are inanimate objects.

Context indeed is key in the first place. Nobody's gonna wanna take your Richard Pryor videos away for this reason.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The freedom of speech comes hand in hand with the freedom to ignore speech, and the freedom to speak against the free speech you've heard.

As long as I'm allowed to use the word n*gger, spic, kike, cracker, donkeyfonker, nazi, gazelle-raping-zulu-ungulo-thkthkthz, and believe me, I am both allowed to and will, and others are allowed to either completely ignore me, or speak out against me (including boycotting), then everything's working as it should in a free society.

The minute I can't say something, or someone else can't ignore or have the freedom to disapprove of it, we have a problem.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Ok, Billy, then let's boycott the term "white trash," shall we?

White trash refers to the color of someone's skin, and their behavior.

The n word only refers to the color of their skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.