Not open for further replies.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
I've been fishing around google for 3 days with no luck, so I'm throwing a couple of questions out here to the smart folks.

What is the average daily cost of full life support (including the facility, equipment, support staff, the whole schmeer)?

Or is there a reputable site that can calculate that figure for me?Also, does Medicare pick up the cost/or any part thereof for full life support in cases where the possibility of recovery is nonexistent but no healthcare directive is on file?

Pretty grim, huh?

Thanks.

Zisel

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't find much either. This might give a general idea, though:

Source 1 (healthatoz.com)
The financial costs of life support are huge. A single day of life support costs many thousands of dollars. These expenses fall on individual payers, insurance companies, health plans, and governments.

Source 2 (Yahoo answers)
Around $5,000 dollars PER DAY.

Source 3 (boston.com)
This isn’t quite life support, but it was for a girl who was almost brain dead: "a typical day at the pediatric intensive care unit at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, where Haleigh had been, costs about $4,000 a day."

You might want to just call a hospital or insurance company for a more reliable estimate.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.