Hi all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecalabre

Hey there!

I thought I would come by and intro myself since I'm new here. I hope everyone keeps writing passionately and continues to plug away at thier craft and thier good name. It's not always who you know-- but who knows you.

Anyway, quick question.

My manager wants me to write a serial killer film with a fresh twist and suggested a killer who is under the age of thirteen?

Warner just greenlighted a remake of "the bad seed" and I'm not sure the industry can handle another pre-teen killer film.

Thoughts?

EggMcGuffin

hi i'm new too. weeee! :jump

wow you have a manager? well if your manager wants you to write that, then you should listen to your manager. after all they have your best interests at heart.

you should see "godsend" and "identity".

sounds like a good idea, post pages soon! :)

Hamboogul

What is the nature of your relationship with your manager?

I can give you a very straightforward answer but only if you are straightforward with me.

The reason I say that is because if you end up writing the script that he suggests, he could claim that you worked off his story idea... in which case he could make a claim on characters, story rights, etc.

EggMcGuffin

there's no need to frighten him. good managers don't act that way. |I

A Pathetic Writer

a) if you trust your manager, then why are you second guessing him by asking us? He's the manager, he should know these things.

b) if you don't trust him, why are you with him?

joecalabre

I trust my manager but there are exceptions to any rule...

The reason I ask is becaue of "The Bad Seed" remake. I came up with the idea when he said a well known foriegn director he knows is looking for a "Cape Fear" type film. The director liked the pitch but just last week has concerns when Warner announced the remake. (I have to say here that my film is totally different in plot, style, tone and approach)

Now comes the point where my manager and I have had debates. He thinks I should focus on something he thinks he can sell to those he has contact with. I think it's good and when I finish it (and he reads it) that it can have legs.

A Pathetic Writer

I know a guy who's sold several scripts and pitches for a couple million bucks. He says he argues with his manager all the time... But that invariably... EVERY TIME... The manager is right.

Because why?

Because he's the fukcing manager, that's why. If you trust him enough to manage you, then why the hell not trust his judgement on what you should do with your career?

A Pathetic Writer

(net proceeds from all the sales... not each, you goof!!!)

:ha

MrAngelwithnowings

trust

Trust is something sacred in my book.

If you dont trust your agent's judgement then leave him.

If you dont leave him then why complain?

Either you take all the good AND bad your agent is or you dont. Its like a relationship.

Have you tried addressing your concerns or feelings with your agent?

Does he hear you or brush you off?

Can you do his job concerning your career better than he can?

What is your specialty? Agent or writing?

What is his specialty?

A Pathetic Writer

Re: trust

Thank you for repeating me almost word for word, but less efficiently Angel. :p

scripter1

The hitch for you is to write something that hasn't really been done before.

Don't watch pre-teen killer movies so I don't really know what options are left to you.
So, do some research, find out what's been done and then do some more research and find some really twisted mental illness or real life situation, and then figure out how to give us something fresh and new.

dchapma123

If your manager wants you to write a movie about a preteen killer, he must think it's not only a salable idea, but one that you have the particular skills to write. I would never say, "Always do what your manager says," but you have to ask yourself whether or not this is the kind of script you could write well. If it isn't, why waste the time writing it?

As for the issue of whether you WANT to write it or not...well, I don't really want to process accounts payable items, but until someone pays me for a script, I guess I'll keep a'processin'.

I've got to tell you though, I hope your script is better than "The Good Son".

writerscut

Listen to your manager, because he wants you to make money...the more you get, the more he gets...

Status
Not open for further replies.