Question about refining your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote something on another thread that got some very positive responses, so I decided to refine it a bit - correct spelling, punctuation, grammar, change words, add sentences, delete paragraphs...well you get the drift. All I can say is arghhh! I've worked on it so much I can't tell if it is even remotely amusing anymore. So my question to those who write humour - how do you even tell if what you've done has made it better or worse since no matter how funny it initially was, you can't possibly laugh after about the 17th rewrite?

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
You can have others read it, or put it aside for a few days and come back to it as just a reader, see if it amuses you, then edit more if you think it needs it. . .

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I think that this must be a real problem with humour writers. In other writing you can have someone crit for technical errors, grammar, whether or not it flows better this way or that, but humour is quite different. A joke no matter how hysterical you find it the first time cannot possibly be as funny the second time you read it, and when you are the author of that "joke" you lose all perspective.

I will do as you suggest and put it away for a while.

Thanks again.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jeanne, maybe I will do that in a while. Some of the responses I recieved from my initial post were from people who post here so they may find it not funny anymore either. Ah well, I will just wait a bit and then perhaps try to sneak it in when they aren't looking!;)

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Well, I know there are new folks, myself included, who haven't seen the original, so I'd say give it a whirl. Even if someone can remember the older version, none of us will have it in our minds like you do, and so can probably be a lot more objective.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
JeanneTGC said:
Well, I know there are new folks, myself included, who haven't seen the original, so I'd say give it a whirl. Even if someone can remember the older version, none of us will have it in our minds like you do, and so can probably be a lot more objective.

Ok I will - after I refine it a teensy weensy bit more...

RGame

Some guy
Registered
Reaction score
I can read my stuff for the 50th time and still crack myself up. I'm just that good.

Actually, that's not true, but I can still see where the joke is and if I'm satisfied with it or not.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Sherry, do you let us know when it's up there? I don't cruise the SYW forum, so I wouldn't just go there unless someone on a thread I was active on said, "hey, this is up there".

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
kikazaru said:
- how do you even tell if what you've done has made it better or worse since no matter how funny it initially was, you can't possibly laugh after about the 17th rewrite?

I can only read my stuff 16 times and laugh, after that, I have to read it to someone else. If they laugh, it becomes funny again.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I'm with RG...uh, I always find my stuff funny. If I can't re-read it and find it amusing for the 20th time, then I have to check that my jokes aren't stale or dated.

I can re-read Robert Benchley and Dave Barry over and over again and still laugh at their pieces. I figure if I can't do that with my own, then they aren't good enough to go out.

But everyone's mileage my vary.

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
I have this same problem with my comics. A comic's punchline is only funny to stare at for a few seconds, so the two hours it takes to ink, scan, and edit a comic strip will suck all the funny right out of it.

One of the biggest benefits that I've gotten from this site is the feedback in the SYW section. Not just for specific crits, but for general interest in any given story. I email first drafts of all my stories (I write about two a week) to a growing list of friends, family, and friends-of-friends, etc. Some stories get zero responses, and some flood my inbox with LOLs, and it gives me an idea of how much people like it.

If you have a RL friend or somebody on the site here whose work (or humor in person) you particularly like, they probably click on your humor level and would be a good judge of your work. They would be a great sounding board.

My last little nugget of advice on self-judging is to get away from it for a little bit. Write some humor, read some humor, come back to it later. A fresh look might even kick it up a notch.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Riddler for your suggestions and I'm glad that I'm not the only one to feel that way.

I actually have a lot of close friends who are writers, one recently won a prestigious award here and another taught writing at a local university and has written a non-fiction best seller. Besides the fact that I feel quite intimidated by their successes, neither do humour and I don't want to put them on the spot by asking them to read my stuff. I'm happy that there are so many here that are willing to give their opinions - that helps a lot.

I will take your (and others) advice and come back to it in a while. In the mean time I have more work that need some polishing.

Thanks again.

steven pirie

I used to worry greatly about that, too. But, as I progressed in my writing, I found I had more confidence in my writing and learned to trust that initial judgement, that no matter how many rewrites, if I found it funny during creation then it will likely still be funny when refined.

So, my take would be don't worry about it, if you found your writing funny at the first instant, don't worry that it may now seem stale to you.

steve

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
"I don't care who you are, that there's funny."

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments Steve and dclary.

Status
Not open for further replies.